Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:14 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,475 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Saint James since the end of last year.

With work, I haven't really had a chance to explore and find things out on my own. Its mostly google searching or these forums.

Back in NYC, when you wanted live crabs, you drive over to one of the chinese or korean supermarkets and you'll have your pick of blue crabs, vancouver crabs... all types of crustaceans.

Any smithtown/brookhaven resident can recommend a local seafood market? Actually, any recommendations not requiring me to drive into Queens is much appreciated.

I hear there's water around here where one can catch them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I've been living in Saint James since the end of last year.

With work, I haven't really had a chance to explore and find things out on my own. Its mostly google searching or these forums.

Back in NYC, when you wanted live crabs, you drive over to one of the chinese or korean supermarkets and you'll have your pick of blue crabs, vancouver crabs... all types of crustaceans.

Any smithtown/brookhaven resident can recommend a local seafood market? Actually, any recommendations not requiring me to drive into Queens is much appreciated.

I hear there's water around here where one can catch them.
If you head out on the north fork, you can always find guys selling lobster 5 for about $20. As far as fresh seafood goes, i'd suggest the Italian Fisherman which is in the north part of Coram by Best Yet Market in the pine shopping center. Corner of Route 112 and Pine Rd. A good clean place with fish and shrimp and usually they carry lobster. You also have the Lobster House which is just north of this on Route 112 but in Port Jefferson. Obviously these are not like the big city fish markets but a decent alternative.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,475 times
actually, lobster is the one thing I can find at the local King Kullen. Thanks for the tip on coram. Will make my way out there this weekend to take a look around.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:24 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
I guess the polluted waterways are the real reason there isn't many fish markets around. The Chinese places in Queens are good but, not exactly very confident that the product is top notch. If anyone knows a good place to get live Dungeness Crab I'd appreciate it. The nautical mile has 2 markets that are pretty good but, their live crab, blue claws nowadays , are tiny.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
There is a small seafood store in St James on 25A , just north of the Edgewood Ave train trestle, west side of the street. It's called Ocean's Bounty.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I guess the polluted waterways are the real reason there isn't many fish markets around. The Chinese places in Queens are good but, not exactly very confident that the product is top notch. If anyone knows a good place to get live Dungeness Crab I'd appreciate it. The nautical mile has 2 markets that are pretty good but, their live crab, blue claws nowadays , are tiny.
I think the real reason there aren't many fish markets around is that many people do not eat fish. Those that do eat fish probably don't want to be bothered cooking it at home but prefer to eat out for their fish.

The OP can also try the Port Jefferson Lobster House...they have a very nice fish counter.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
We have a few in Huntington: Fort Hill on 25A, Jeff's in HV (on NY ave) and Marty's (again NY Ave). We've had good experiences with both Jeff's and Fort Hill. My sister used to use Marty's when she lived in the area.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM

241 posts, read 732,333 times
Mattituck inlet, Southold fish Market. There is one in a Greenport Village and Brauns in Cutchogue

Last edited by UpIslander; 06-17-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 09:58 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I think the real reason there aren't many fish markets around is that many people do not eat fish. Those that do eat fish probably don't want to be bothered cooking it at home but prefer to eat out for their fish.

The OP can also try the Port Jefferson Lobster House...they have a very nice fish counter.
I have to disagree. Many people eat fish. The largest population of fish eaters are probably immigrants. I do agree though that many of the latest generations of Americans cant be bothered with the job and cleanup.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:50 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
I know it's a bit far Island Park has a bunch. Try Jordan's Lobster Farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island