Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,868 times

Advertisements

I see it all the time on weekends and the prices seem dirt cheap. Always many customers around. Has anyone on this forum actually bought from these guys? Are they legit? I figure, if anyone got poisoned, they know where to find them :-), so I am kind of tempted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
I've seen this guy there for years. Here's my take on it: I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff is legit and a great bargain, but there's no way in hell I'm buying anything there.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
In Queens I used to buy food occasionally from a truck that sold Greek food. Pretty decent for a truck and the price was very fair.

But seafood is very tricky because - where are they getting the seafood? Jamaica Bay? You don't know. They might not even know except they might get it cheap as possible.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:31 AM

49 posts, read 160,861 times
We bought from them when curiosity got to us. Like you, we see that van all the time. We got the lobster tails and red snapper.

We'd probably buy the lobster tails again -- their prices are low because the tails are small. They wouldn't be able to sell them as whole lobster. We probably won't buy the red snapper again, we've had better.

No food poisoning so far, fingers crossed

Old 06-17-2014, 11:08 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,868 times
Thanks for the replies, I will stick with the fish market in Freeport.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn2lynbrook View Post
We bought from them when curiosity got to us. Like you, we see that van all the time. We got the lobster tails and red snapper.

We'd probably buy the lobster tails again -- their prices are low because the tails are small. They wouldn't be able to sell them as whole lobster. We probably won't buy the red snapper again, we've had better.

No food poisoning so far, fingers crossed
It's very possible that the lobster tails were from lobsters which were too small to harvest legally. There have been efforts to rebuild the population by decreasing the season, imposing catch limits, and having size requirements.

As someone else mentioned, a huge concern would be where the truck guy's fish originated from. I already know someone who had elevated mercury levels as a result of his fish consumption.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
As someone else mentioned, a huge concern would be where the truck guy's fish originated from. I already know someone who had elevated mercury levels as a result of his fish consumption.
I hear there's a big promo on seafood caught near the Tom's River estuary.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:21 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's very possible that the lobster tails were from lobsters which were too small to harvest legally. There have been efforts to rebuild the population by decreasing the season, imposing catch limits, and having size requirements.

Those lobster tails...which you see advertised and sold from road side spots are not Maine lobsters. I believe they are what is termed "rock" lobsters and originate from the south. They are usually sold frozen.

Regarding the other fish....

Unless I saw it whole, I would be suspect about any filet. Its sorta like those "shrimp" at some salad bars in NYC....just common whitefish formed to look like shrimp.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:55 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
Some things just shouldn't be purchased from the side of the road, fish being one of them.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:04 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,230,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Some things just shouldn't be purchased from the side of the road, fish being one of them.
^This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: