Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,299,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Really? You almost sound like renters don't contribute to society Does he pay rent? frequent businesses? take public transportation? eat,shop and spend?

Maybe he stays because he might not afford other places? He's far from being the only one on this board complaining.. He complains because he wants better for the community and the empty promises from the town officials and government.
I do pay rent, a third of my income. I'll admit I dont patronize most businesses in Westbury, but thats for the same reason I dont like walking down Post Ave. Heck I miss Alfredo's, they have the best pizza around, but the men also hang around the streets by there too and drink. You can always tell because of the black plastic bags they hide the drinks in.
Perhaps they wouldn't be there if that condo building next door was built, but right now there's still a huge hole in the ground. Remember that the new buildings are not all condo, I think some have apartments too, Maple Tower being one of them.
And as you can see, they are not cheap.
242 Maple Ave APT 513, Westbury, NY 11590 - Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:26 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,299,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't know why so many people who are occasional visitors to Westbury on here are hotly disputing this. It's true. Why don't you go there at the time John states and see for yourselves? I am not a frequent visitor to Westbury, but one of my relatives owns a business and has rented office space in an office building near there for many years and that's what he says too. As a matter of fact, all his employees know better than to leave their cars unlocked in the parking lot, because if you do, someone will get into your car and rifle through it, just as surely as every single day in LIRR parking lots where you need a permit, someone goes through and checks every single car in order to give out tickets. One of his employees, a Guido type, actually caught one of the amigos going through his car and punched him in the face. Amigo ran away; no cops called. It's reality over there. It's amusing how nobody wants to believe it, even when John posts a Google pic clearly showing it. It's also interesting how many people will unquestioningly believe negative stuff about other communities. What's so special about the Village of Westbury?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 AM

260 posts, read 448,938 times
Quote:
I don't know why so many people who are occasional visitors to Westbury on here are hotly disputing this. It's true. Why don't you go there at the time John states and see for yourselves? I am not a frequent visitor to Westbury, but one of my relatives owns a business and has rented office space in an office building near there for many years and that's what he says too. As a matter of fact, all his employees know better than to leave their cars unlocked in the parking lot, because if you do, someone will get into your car and rifle through it, just as surely as every single day in LIRR parking lots where you need a permit, someone goes through and checks every single car in order to give out tickets. One of his employees, a Guido type, actually caught one of the amigos going through his car and punched him in the face. Amigo ran away; no cops called. It's reality over there. It's amusing how nobody wants to believe it, even when John posts a Google pic clearly showing it. It's also interesting how many people will unquestioningly believe negative stuff about other communities. What's so special about the Village of Westbury?
This boggles my mind about Long Islanders....not specifically you, I_L_LI because I've heard this from so many of my neighbors who are shocked that their cars in quiet little Carle Place were rifled through. You left your door UNLOCKED. It's 2014 and there are drug addicts/poor/dishonest folks everywhere, lock the car door....there's even a button to do so, no need to actually turn a key anymore.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:00 AM

321 posts, read 593,142 times
I don't live in or frequent Westbury but I don't understand why people think that John should just move away or deal with it.

We have laws against drinking in public. If there are guys standing outside making noise and getting drunk every night and throwing their trash all over the ground then some enforcement should be done.

It's really quite simple. We pay police to handle these quality of life issues. They have a CPOP unit specifically for these nuisance-type problems.

John if I were you I would call the non-emergency number every single time this happens and ring, ring, ring until they show up and solve the problem. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:28 AM

258 posts, read 454,717 times
Even if he could move though, why should he? Nobody should be forced to sit and wait around for their neighborhood to improve itself. Nobody should have to accept litter and loiter because they can't afford a different neighborhood. What we can do as ordinary citizens, sadly I don't know.

And by the way, I really don't want to toss around the 'I-word' (you know what I mean) on a public forum and blame it all on them, but it can't be helped that a lot of them contribute to this problem with no respect for their community. Last week I had a customer at work practically berate me for not understanding Spanish, saying it was 'no good'. What's that about?

Gang types are another blight, at least illegal immigrants for the most part work. Gang types literally contribute nothing and destroy our communities while taking their welfare checks from our hard-paid taxes. Where's the justice?

So am I advocating for some kind of white utopia? Hell no. I want a fair society where everybody is doing their part - work, spend, contribute. If you don't work, there are ways to find work. If you want to come here, earn your part like everyone else. Put the stupid colors down and represent yourself and where you call your neighborhood instead.

However we shouldn't be putting up with this kind of crap anymore.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 AM

413 posts, read 596,509 times
Quote:

I am a frequent visitor. Work nearby, eat lunch and dinner and shop there often. The google pic shows a few guys (and a bicycle) on a summer day sitting on or near a bench. Big whoop. Parking lot crime happens in the ritziest malls in the country so that line of silliness is moot. Don't leave your car unlocked. Is Westbury an upscale area or without it's petty nuisances? No. Is it the "scary" barely survivable nightmare the OP continuously posts about (when not posting identical bunk about Hicksville)? No.

Edit: Checked out the "incriminating" google pic again and as with JIW's other Hicksville pic find myself surprised just how clean and decent the overall area looks.

Last edited by marigold69; 06-20-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 08:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,047,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
I am a frequent visitor. Work nearby, eat lunch and dinner and shop there often. The google pic shows a few guys (and a bicycle) on a summer day sitting on or near a bench. Big whoop. Parking lot crime happens in the ritziest malls in the country so that line of silliness is moot. Don't leave your car unlocked. Is Westbury an upscale area or without it's petty nuisances? No. Is it the "scary" barely survivable nightmare the OP continuously posts about (when not posting identical bunk about Hicksville)? No.
Exactly. A friend of mine had his car broken into at The Americana Mall in Manhasset. It can happen anywhere. I lived off Ellison for a while, and while the area isn't awesome I never felt scared or threatened there. I used to go to Post Avenue all the time and never had a problem. Even after I moved away I still worked at the old DMV building and never had one issue. I'm not saying its a fantastic town, but it's not a town where I'd be scared to go anywhere.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 AM

And while I agree John shouldn't HAVE to move, the fact is he rents so he doesnt have the hassle of selling a house, and has been complaining for years. I just can't imagine why someone would remain somewhere they are so miserable.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:42 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,511,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
It's a sad way to live, but you're right.
what's sad is that both of you are dumb enough to believe that he does nothing to contribute to the property taxes of where he lives. How do you think the landlord pays the taxes?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
what's sad is that both of you are dumb enough to believe that he does nothing to contribute to the property taxes of where he lives. How do you think the landlord pays the taxes?
By renting illegally. Do you honestly believe the homeowner is paying his full share of taxes? If he's renting illegally and the home is still a Single Family Residence than no, John is not contributing to the taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island