U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM

3,503 posts, read 5,457,423 times
Tom. You should know that arguing about this topic, especially with closed minded Long Islanders will get no where. I understand what youre saying. And your right. Some people need that help to get back on their feet whether being white, black, hispanic etc. But I also think that they must be working full time to recieve such benefits. Here is my story...
My mother was a single mother of 3. We were raised in public housing/section 8 for nearly 5 years. Not the best of times but I was only 6 years old at the time. So most of it is a foggy memory. My mother also worked 2 jobs!! She continued to search for a better paying job week in and week out. After years of hard work she found a job that payed well enough to get us off section 8 and into a "normal" apartment. I still remember that day. As us kids grew up we were used to not having alot of things but enough to get by. I ended up going to college & graduated in engineering, the same as my brother. To make the story short, all this would have not been possible if it were not for these type of programs. Do some people take advantage of it? Sure, some scumbags sit around all day and collect it for free. But there are some people who use it as a stepping stone to better themselves in life. My family included, which happens to be white. So take that for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 09:07 AM

2,929 posts, read 5,307,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Tom. You should know that arguing about this topic, especially with closed minded Long Islanders will get no where. I understand what youre saying. And your right. Some people need that help to get back on their feet wether being white, black, hispanic etc. But I also think that they must be working full time to recieve such benefits. Here is my story...
My mother was a single mother of 3. We were raised in public housing/section 8 for nearly 5 years. Not the best of times but I was only 6 years old at the time. So most of it is a foggy memory. My mother also worked 2 jobs!! She continued to search for a better paying job week in and week out. After years of hard work she found a job that payed well enough to get us off section 8 and into a "normal" apartment. I still remember that day. As us kids grew up we were used to not having alot of things but enough to get by. I ended up going to college & graduated in engineering, the same as my brother. To make the story short, all this would have not been possible if it were not for these type of programs. Do some people take advantage of it? Sure, some scumbags sit around all day and collect it for free. But there are some people who use it as a stepping stone to better themselves in life. My family included. So take that for thought.
Thank you for your story. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,025,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Look across the street from Trader Joes. Those houses on Alexander Ave are mostly rentals.

Is that where that poor grandmother was killed by one of her grandson's druggie friends? Not black, btw.....actually long-time Long Islanders.
There have also been some very prominent murders in the Hamptons...I fear walking around there as well. The article on the grandmother who was killed was very sad, and solidified that drugs can be, and are, an issue anywhere. The heroin-addicted killer also tried to kill his long-time childhood friend. And no the houses on Alexander are not mostly rentals. The article on the tragic death of the grandmother quotes family members having urged her in recent years to sell to all of the developers that kept approaching her for the property so they could build another McMansion; like many of the homes that were sprouting up all around her...as for the Section 8 nonsense. Smithtown can't locally rig a federally funded program. Just decline the dollars if you think the area will not benefit from the program. Not saying that is the most socially acceptable approach, but you can not have your cake and eat it to. Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:13 PM

13,405 posts, read 14,553,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
It has to do with their income level and if they are working. By the way, there are other programs that will also help pay for rent. There is a very good program called SHARP run by DSS, which is designed to get people on their feet who have a temporary bad situation. I have also worked with private agencies such as Center for Urban Community Services (they placed a brain-injured individual), and Options for Community Living (domestic abuse). Although doing these kinds of rentals are difficult, I find it a rewarding diversion from selling McMansions.
These are good things to know -- I am involved on another board and one young woman is in a bad spot; 2 young kids, husband working but barely able to make the rent. He had been very ill and they fell into arrears, and are trying to make up the back rent. It has decimated their finances.

I am going to mention the SHARP program to her.

Thank you for explaining this to me.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 PM

13,405 posts, read 14,553,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
There have also been some very prominent murders in the Hamptons...I fear walking around there as well. The article on the grandmother who was killed was very sad, and solidified that drugs can be, and are, an issue anywhere. The heroin-addicted killer also tried to kill his long-time childhood friend. And no the houses on Alexander are not mostly rentals. The article on the tragic death of the grandmother quotes family members having urged her in recent years to sell to all of the developers that kept approaching her for the property so they could build another McMansion; like many of the homes that were sprouting up all around her...as for the Section 8 nonsense. Smithtown can't locally rig a federally funded program. Just decline the dollars if you think the area will not benefit from the program. Not saying that is the most socially acceptable approach, but you can not have your cake and eat it to. Happy Holidays everyone!!!
I can't speak for the Nesconset side of Alexander, but the houses on the LG side (opposite Trader Joes and Dick's) include a number of rentals.

The two sides of Alexander Ave are very different; one residential and the other split between commercial and residential. The split side that has the rentals that I know of.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,834,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I can't speak for the Nesconset side of Alexander, but the houses on the LG side (opposite Trader Joes and Dick's) include a number of rentals.

The two sides of Alexander Ave are very different; one residential and the other split between commercial and residential. The split side that has the rentals that I know of.
What is the LG side? What does that mean?

And in my search in Smithtown I have found illegal rentals for sure. And the Nesconset area is far from affluent IMO, and I would easily bet there are a number of affordable houses and illegal rentals.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 PM

9,343 posts, read 15,614,150 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Nesconset

For those who may not be familiar with Nesconset:

Nesconset is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the southeast part of the Town of Smithtown, in the west part of Suffolk County (along the Smithtown/Islip and Smithtown/Brookhaven town lines).

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Nesconset in the Town of Smithtown is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Saint James; on the east by the Village of Lake Grove in the Town of Brookhaven (the Smithtown/Brookhaven town line) and the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma; on the south by the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma and the Hamlet of Hauppauge in the Town of Islip (the Smithtown/Islip town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Hauppauge and the Village of the Branch.

The Hamlet of Nesconset has a different border than does the "Nesconset, NY 11767" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Nesconset, NY 11767" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Nesconset and a place can have other than a "Nesconset, NY 11767" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Nesconset): places that have a "Nesconset, NY 11767" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Nesconset are in the Village of Lake Grove and the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Nesconset with a "Hauppauge, NY 11788" and a "Smithtown, NY 11787" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 12-21-2007, 03:31 PM

7,837 posts, read 11,728,228 times

Lake Grove?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,834,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Lake Grove?
Oh right, probably. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:41 PM

706 posts, read 2,363,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I knew that someone would get my point.

This situation has nothing to do with reparations. Islip may have a residency policy but is it similarly homogeneous and did it cook the books to make sure someone unlike the current residents never gets to the top? That's what Smithtown did.

I think we're going to have to let the feds figure this one out as to legality. But the actions of the town are very smelly.
Of course, I get the point.

And yes it has nothing to do with reparations.

That's why my response to that was simply of course, with no connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island