U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:26 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,854,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I respect the idea that a particular municipality can say, "hey, you work in our town, and contribute tax-wise, so we'll help you out". If that negatively impacts certain groups, TOO BAD, SO SAD. Personally, I think that "equal protection" has been stretched to its limits, and should not be applied here. And, I certainly hope that the courts see it the same way.

If you can't afford to live somewhere, that's the end of your choice.
I totally agree, people want to be handed things too often nowadays and then get angry when it doesn't happen.

Hey I want to live in Old Brookville and have 5 acres. I make peanuts compared to those people. I don't feel angry about that and I don't expect ANY handouts. I expect to work hard, work 3 jobs if I want to achieve my dream, and if I can't, so be it. That is life and life is not fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,355,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Why should whites be beat out b/c someone has a more "PC" skin color to award the affordable housing to?
Absolutely.

I personally didn't know that there was a constitutional right to live on LI. But, heck, I've been wrong once or twice before, maybe I am now...

Seems to me that municipalities should have the opportunity to say, "hey, this person contributes to our little society here, we want THEM". Regardless of skin color.

Again, I'll be interested to see how this one plays out in court.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 PM

706 posts, read 2,373,609 times
Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking care of current young or elderly residents who have ties to the community but cannot afford to live there without this help. If they happen to be white, so be it.

Not only minorities need help with housing. Why is ANY town obligated to give affordable housing to anyone, especially those from other communities without any ties to that particular community?
Well how can they ever have ties to the community if they're not being accepted there???

Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Well how can they ever have ties to the community if they're not being accepted there???
The epitome of circular reasoning.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 PM

706 posts, read 2,373,609 times
Quote:
And there are plenty of things whites cannot apply for.

I know families that cannot make ends meet but they don't qualify for food stamps b/c they don't have a gaggle of kids. Or b/c they simply work that 2nd or 3rd job. Or they live with family. Or people who would love to go to college but can't afford it, and would not be granted scholarships b/c they are white.

There is such a thing as reverse racism. So I say let's not go there. The world is not equal and it goes both ways.
I think we ALL know, or know of, families who are struggling to make ends meet, who work 2nd or 3rd jobs to make ends meet.

What's your point?
Are you proposing that that only applies to white families?

Also, qualification for food stamps has nothing to do with race.

There is such a thing as scholarships set aside for so-called "minorities" (that's Black Asian, Latino, Native American folk and white women).
Don't believe the hype. There is no batch sitting, waiting for those who've worked arduously and apply for them. They're quite few and far between in proportion to those needing and deserving them. The competition is fierce.

(BTW, they're set up as a weak attempt to level the playing field based on a horrendous history of racism and discrimination which still exist, and they don't even come close to fulfilling that purpose.)

There is also financial aid, need based scholarships, education loans as well as scholarships for academics,sports, dance, etc..
Race has nothing to do with these higher numbers of avenues to finance a college education.

If your post held a fraction of an ounce of water, which it does not, it would still be a weak attempt at justifying segregation anywhere within our society.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:08 AM

So, Donna, you believe that people, SOLELY on the basis of race, have a right to live on Long Island, even if they can't pay?

Right on!!!!

Heck, why vie for LI? Why not go for Malibu, or something else in a warmer climate?

This is just plain silly.

I see where you're coming from, and it's the same argument that's been used time and time again. But, good job including "white women" in there. I'd be offended, but I'm just laughing too much at it to even care at this point.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,034,058 times
Default They will pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
So the town would rather pay thousands of tax dollars to lawyers in a losing cause? It must really be scared of those minorities!
They probably will pay, for years, to preserve what they think is best for the Township. Like Tom Moser posted, it is a slick Catch 22. Is there an undercurrent of bias....sure. But as ridiculous as you might think it is, your frustration level probably pales in comparison to the passion many of the town's citizens have for keeping those they deem "outsiders" out. They will drag this out in court for years. Again, I am sure the Catch 22 policy is somewhat rigged to keep "darker" folks out, but you can't really prove concretely that they are showing preference to anybody but citizens or those in the local workforce who already actively contribute economically to the community. If Section 8 housing advocates want to cry racism, the town will just come back with the same claims on the presumption that their residents can't help it if they happen to be white. What Section 8 housing advocates should really work on is the stigma attached to those getting services, and improving the services and civic representation of those qualifying for Section 8. Then maybe towns will begin to move past this bias. It will be difficult though. I moved from Brookhaven township to Smithtown, and a long drive through both towns easily shows the difference in certain neighborhoods that have this public housing support and those that do not. Fix that perception and issue, and maybe Towns like Smithtown will not rig their systems to avoid a perceived neighborhood blight (real or imagined).

Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,373,368 times
Nobody has the "right" to live in Smithtown.

If you knock on the door of a typical Smithtown resident, you will find that their grandparents or great grandparents came to this country with five dollars in their pocket and lived in horrible 5-story walkups in the Lower East Side. They busted their butts so their children or grandchildren could live in Smithtown.

If you can't afford to live in Smithtown, maybe your children will be able to if you stress hard work and education, rather than what the culture of entitlement can get you.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM

1,771 posts, read 3,854,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
(BTW, they're set up as a weak attempt to level the playing field based on a horrendous history of racism and discrimination which still exist, and they don't even come close to fulfilling that purpose.)
Yet the minute I mention this exact senario, I am asked by a poster if I am looking for white reparations. Are you suggesting in the above quote that minorities are DUE reparations? And that these senarios are meant to be reparations for the past? And I guess Smithtown owes them these reparations? I THINK NOT.

Some of us don't qualify for foodstamps. Some of us don't qualify for scholarships. And some don't qualify to live in the section 8 housing in Smithtown. Also the simple fact is that just b/c you may qualify financially for some of these things, you may not qualify for other reasons. There are qualifications for everything and in this case in Smithtown you have to be a resident/employee in the town to qualify. That is life.

When do the reparations end without it then becoming reverse racism and reverse discrimination? When does the sense of entitlement end and the sense of ownership for your life and what you have begin?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 12-18-2007 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 AM

2,929 posts, read 5,333,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
What Section 8 housing advocates should really work on is the stigma attached to those getting services, and improving the services and civic representation of those qualifying for Section 8. Then maybe towns will begin to move past this bias. It will be difficult though. I moved from Brookhaven township to Smithtown, and a long drive through both towns easily shows the difference in certain neighborhoods that have this public housing support and those that do not. Fix that perception and issue, and maybe Towns like Smithtown will not rig their systems to avoid a perceived neighborhood blight (real or imagined).
This is very true. It is very difficult to get landlords to accept Section 8 tenants. I believe it is underlying racism. People on Section 8 tend to make very good tenants. First, you get the rent directly from the government. Second, Section 8 recipients know that they have a good thing going. If they mess up, they will not only get kicked out of the apartment, they will get kicked out of the program. Yet, many landlords flatly refuse to accept Section 8 tenants. The reason why seems obvious to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island