Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,297,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Residents on Section 8 are better than outsiders on sec. 8? I guess we have to deal with how outsiders differ.
It ensures that those who already live-in and hopefully respect the community get first preference. The policy implies that those with no ties to the area except for the Section 8 housing break would not bring the same level of respect for the community since their only tie is to the Section 8 placement.

Is it also racist and a way to keep outsiders out..??? Probably, but knowing the citizens in the township, this one will be difficult to get changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:13 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,084,524 times
Quote:
Residents on Section 8 are better than outsiders on sec. 8? I guess we have to deal with how outsiders differ.
I believe it is totally fair to give cheap housing to older people that have lived in a community and paid taxes all these years. Most are retired or can no longer work and are at the weakest point due to age, health. And then we have the young people who grew up in Smithtown, who are working hard but still can't cut it due to paying for educations, housing, taxes, etc. Should they lose their chance to remain in their neighborhood to the people on welfare, who are not even from the area?

Not only minorities struggle with finances, but maybe many do for different reasons and different life choices. I know plenty of young white people who are broke, who have to work mutiple jobs or live in basement apts, who simply cannot afford homes b/c they have student loans out (NOT b/c they had 3 kids by age 20 or blew all their money and possessions foolishly).

I strongly support Smithtown's plans and believe it is fair and right and in the best interest of the town.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 12-17-2007 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
So a young person who has family and friends there should not qualify for cheaper housing, b/c another person who is on welfare and has 3 kids by age 20 somehow qualifies for cheap housing more than the young person who is working hard and busting their butt but still can't cut it, paying for educations, housing, taxes, etc?

Actually, that's not it at all. You have use of federal money by a city which is overwhelmingly white. Then, after being warned, it continues to juggle who is elegible so no black or Hispanic person gets to use the tax money. Everybody here is OK with that?

What if Washington, DC had a residency requirement for city jobs? Wouldn't there be an outcry?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Realpolitik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Is it also racist and a way to keep outsiders out..??? Probably, but knowing the citizens in the township, this one will be difficult to get changed.
So the town would rather pay thousands of tax dollars to lawyers in a losing cause? It must really be scared of those minorities!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
You have use of federal money by a city which is overwhelmingly white. Then, after being warned, it continues to juggle who is elegible so no black or Hispanic person gets to use the tax money.
Again, there are many different people who need subsidized housing. So if the need is for elderly people or young people from the area (who happen to be white), then as long as that money is being used to help a group of individuals who need it, then the goal was met.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,726,282 times
It does appear to be discriminatory on the surface. They have set up a catch 22. Very slick.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Is this equal protection of laws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Again, there are many different people who need subsidized housing. So if the need is for elderly people or young people from the area (who happen to be white), then as long as that money is being used to help a group of individuals who need it, then the goal was met.
So, under your theory, if the city hung a sign which said: "Minorities need not apply for public housing in Smithtown.", you would be OK with that? The goal is met!

Cicero, IL was about 75% white and 25% Hispanic and had a residency requirement for city jobs. After two years of court action and thousands of city tax dollars to attorneys, the judge said: Quit the foolishness.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
So, under your theory, if the city hung a sign which said: "Minorities need not apply for public housing in Smithtown.", you would be OK with that? The goal is met!
And there are plenty of things whites cannot apply for.

I know families that cannot make ends meet but they don't qualify for food stamps b/c they don't have a gaggle of kids. Or b/c they simply work that 2nd or 3rd job. Or they live with family. Or people who would love to go to college but can't afford it, and would not be granted scholarships b/c they are white.

There is such a thing as reverse racism. So I say let's not go there. The world is not equal and it goes both ways.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,977,707 times
I come from the generation of LIers who simply could not afford to live in the place that our parents did. Million dollar homes were just not in the budget of most Gen-Xers when I left permanently 5 years ago. Sad, true, and a lot of people have moved on. Simply put, no one has the "right" to live in any particular place, should they not be able to pay the money for it.

But, by the same token, I respect the idea that a particular municipality can say, "hey, you work in our town, and contribute tax-wise, so we'll help you out". If that negatively impacts certain groups, TOO BAD, SO SAD. Personally, I think that "equal protection" has been stretched to its limits, and should not be applied here. And, I certainly hope that the courts see it the same way.

If you can't afford to live somewhere, that's the end of your choice.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
We're dealing with one situation here, not playing catch up. Or are you asking for white reparations?
It is all the same to me. White reparations? I don't think that offering more affordable housing to residents of a town is hardly a white reparation.

Even people who happen to be white DO deserve that chance to have lower cost housing in the town they spent their life in, and not be guaranteed to be beat out by someone who simply might take their place b/c they have 3 kids at 20 years old, or have nothing in the bank, or are simply of "minority" status.

And if that is racism, well back to my point, racism does goes both ways. Why should whites be beat out b/c someone has a more "PC" skin color to award the affordable housing to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island