Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
You can spot the "relocated Yankees" because they're the ones with teeth and no couch on the front porch.

North Carolina would be a lot poorer if Northerners didn't bring their retirement savings down there. Maybe the locals could be a little more respectful.
as nasty as this comment is - I agree with it in theory.

If "Yankees" and many other people from all over the US wouldn't have converged on this area, it wouldn't be anything special, nor would it have been ranked "top places to live". So I don't know if people from this area originally should have issues with outsiders, or the companies who brought them here. Without RTP, this area would be a shell of what it is and would likely resemble any other sleepy southern town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
as nasty as this comment is - I agree with it in theory.

If "Yankees" and many other people from all over the US wouldn't have converged on this area, it wouldn't be anything special, nor would it have been ranked "top places to live". So I don't know if people from this area originally should have issues with outsiders, or the companies who brought them here. Without RTP, this area would be a shell of what it is and would likely resemble any other sleepy southern town.
But they (the locals) created the RTP and the companies moved in and the people followed. Why must the accomplishments of the area, businesses and people be based on "whatever influence" migrated in after the idea caught on? It seems obvious they had the idea and moved with it...

Old 06-23-2014, 02:25 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,990 times
LMFAO... The same Long Islanders that have created the political and economic environment on Long Island that has crushed private enterprise and left it fleeing, yet these same Long islanders are responsible for the massive economic development of Raleigh? I knew Long Islanders were legends in their own minds..but cmon@

Old 06-26-2014, 09:06 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
You can spot the "relocated Yankees" because they're the ones with teeth and no couch on the front porch.

North Carolina would be a lot poorer if Northerners didn't bring their retirement savings down there. Maybe the locals could be a little more respectful.
As respectful as your poor attempt at humor?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:

That's rude.

While I am not a local, you have to look at it from their perspective -- their original way of life has been supplanted by people from other places, who do things differently than had traditionally been done. Along the way these supplanters have reminded the locals on a regular basis that 'that's not how we did that in NY, CHI, etc.' They've been called hicks and have had other impolite, and some incorrect, assertions made about them.

Yankees may have brought more money into the area, but with it they've also brought sprawl, increased taxes, and some, an arrogant attitude of superiority.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:58 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comments like this spur "Yankee" resentment.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 PM

852 posts, read 968,742 times
The natives are wise!

Any place a lot of exNYers go, ends up having the exact same problems NY has, because they bring their politics, attitudes and ways (which ruined their former locale) with them.

When I left LI, I made sure to go to the LAST place that other NYers would ever go...and still, there's another NYer 3/4's of a mile down the road from me, and a few more in the county!

I cringe if I ever here of another NYer moving in- so I can just imagine how the locals feel (Except, there not being many NYers here, the locals aren't prejudiced against us...yet)

I went down to the courthouse to renew my truck registration ($36) once. There was a transplant from CA. in there, telling the county clerk how they should really "improve" this place, by making wider roads with shoulders and/or sidewalks, etc. Well hey, "dude", if that's what you want, why didn't you stay in CA.? Oh...because the property taxes and everything else were too high? (Meanwhile, the roads here are perfectly fine and as smooth as glass, compared to the surface-of-the-moon roads in NY!)

Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
The natives are wise!

Any place a lot of exNYers go, ends up having the exact same problems NY has, because they bring their politics, attitudes and ways (which ruined their former locale) with them.

When I left LI, I made sure to go to the LAST place that other NYers would ever go...and still, there's another NYer 3/4's of a mile down the road from me, and a few more in the county!

I cringe if I ever here of another NYer moving in- so I can just imagine how the locals feel (Except, there not being many NYers here, the locals aren't prejudiced against us...yet)

I went down to the courthouse to renew my truck registration ($36) once. There was a transplant from CA. in there, telling the county clerk how they should really "improve" this place, by making wider roads with shoulders and/or sidewalks, etc. Well hey, "dude", if that's what you want, why didn't you stay in CA.? Oh...because the property taxes and everything else were too high? (Meanwhile, the roads here are perfectly fine and as smooth as glass, compared to the surface-of-the-moon roads in NY!)
For sure. I went someplace New Yawkas weren't heading, but made the mistake of relocating to a place where Kalifornicators were invading. Now, this place is becoming more and more like CA and we're preparing on fleeing.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM

438 posts, read 831,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
For sure. I went someplace New Yawkas weren't heading, but made the mistake of relocating to a place where Kalifornicators were invading. Now, this place is becoming more and more like CA and we're preparing on fleeing.
Isn't that the truth. Same situation here with me. Not sure where to go next.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 AM

852 posts, read 968,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I believe that one thing here really helps keep a lot of outsiders from locating here: The fact that it's a "dry" county- i.e. no bars/liquor stores/strip joints/ etc. That, and the fact that it's very rural- as a local real estate agent once told me: "Most people who come here from the city only stay three years or less...". I think people are so used to convenience, and government services and programs to seemingly take care of their every need, that few seem to be able function on their own. It's like the bears in the National Parks, who get used to being fed by the tourists, so they forget how to forage for themselves.

I've heard about what the Ex-Californians are doing to OR, WA. and ID!

Sad thing is, the schools; the media; and popular culture are making the younger generation everywhere, into NYers and CAians. I've noticed the difference in the locals just in the 13 years I've been here.

10 years ago, you'd go into a store, and the cashier was a good-old Southern woman, who'd call you "hun" and chat pleasantly with you, and do her job well. More and more, lately, you go into a store, and the cashier is a young girl who doesn't say a word, and who is spending more time looking at her cell phone or gossiping with a friend (who is standing there, insterad of waiting on other customers) than doing what she is supposed to do.

This whole country is dying. It's as if NY and CA have Ebola and cancer; While some of the further-removed places, such as where I live, are just getting the first symptoms, before the disease spreads to the whole body. I guess one could say: NYC is the rectum; LI is the schlong; Detroit is the crack-head's brain; and the rest of the country is the torso and limbs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island