Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 02:08 PM

157 posts, read 167,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm hoping to hear from people who actually use the LIRR to commute to/from work and/or go into NYC for entertainment or visiting friends/family and NOT the usual crew who love to troll around making ignorant and snarky remarks.

So, it's being said that a strike is almost sure to happen because the already-overpaid employees are whining that they want more, more, more in addition to their double-pensions, free medical, huge salaries, etc. They said the strike may start in July but that the MTA is going to be mailing out (and charging) for the July monthly tickets that people signed up for autopay to receive each month. (I wonder if you can get a pro-rated refund if they go on strike??)

The news is telling people not to attempt driving in individually but to carpool and there will be many carpool sites where people can meet up and find others willing to carpool. I can't even imagine what the traffic will be like!!!! Other stories are telling people to just "take time off from work and stay home" (as if!). They're also saying to at least double the time you would normally set aside for your commute.

I know that if they go on strike, I will either work extra hours/less days and find a way to get to Queens and just take the subway from there.

Do you think they're going to strike? What is your contingency plan?

Overpaid.. well two Presidential emergency boards dont beleive we are. We do not have double pensions that is just nonsense. We have agreed to pay into medical at the highest rate in the railroad industry and at a higher rate than any MTA agency. Average base pay is 67k, I wouldnt call that huge. I hope the MTA will agree to the mediation panels reccomendations of 2.47% raises to avoid all this. We have not had a raise since Jan of 2009.
We do not want to strike. Please understand that.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:50 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
For someone who doesn't want to strike, your union heads are surely chatting it up big time.

Wonder if the courts could force all the fake disabled LIRR retirees back to work to start paying off all they owe?

Just once, I'd like to see the paying customers go postal on the workers after they come back.

Sorry to "derail" the OP, but getting tired of all this MTA nonsense.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:07 PM

157 posts, read 167,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
For someone who doesn't want to strike, your union heads are surely chatting it up big time.

Wonder if the courts could force all the fake disabled LIRR retirees back to work to start paying off all they owe?

Just once, I'd like to see the paying customers go postal on the workers after they come back.

That is because the railway labor act is coming to an end after 4 years of working without a contract the self help phase begins. Its the process. I know the unions have offered to extend it but it must be mutually agreed upon by both parties and the MTA denied the extension. The 29 fake disability scammers were prosecuted withing the law. Please dont think that represents the 7000+ current employees none of which... not a single one is "on disability"

I hope your wishes for violence do not come to pass. Its unfortunate that the crews are assaulted in the best of times by the Long Island "angels" we breed in the land of me.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post

Well they didn't force them back to work to pay, but some have received ridiculously lenient "repayment schedules" like $50.00 a month, in which the total would be paid back in over 40 years! Yeah, what a punishment. The criminal will be dead long before it is paid back! If I was the judge, I would have said, "Sell your vacation home, your boat, your jetskis, your golf clubs, your motorcycles, you sports cars, and all the luxuries you got from cheating the system and pay it back RIGHT NOW!"

I am going to note the names of judge(s) who did this and if I have them on my ballots in the future I will not vote for them.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:24 PM

How I will handle it:

Use the N4 bus to the E train station at Jamaica Center.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
I love this not working with a contract crying. Do you take a cut in pay? Did you have to pay higher benefit costs like everyone else in the private sector? Or did you just keep the sweet deal you have going?

You reap what you sow. Show disrespect to the paying customers via strikes, and they want to make your life as bad as you made theirs during the strike time.

I don't understand why you guys aren't forbidden to strike. Mass transit is supposed to be an essential service to keep the economy going. If it is not then start the layoffs and privatize it. You can reapply for your job.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
From LI, you park at Willets point and take the No. 7 train to GCT.

Maybe I'll take some mental health sick time.
if you attempt commuting during a LIRR strike, you will need that mental health time off.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:36 PM

Default Are they really underpaid?

For all the people wondering how much the LIRR workers make already, go to "seethroughny.net." Choose "Payrolls." Choose "Public Authorities." From the dropdown box for "Pay Year," choose 2013 (which is usually more complete) or 2014. From the dropdown box that says "Agency/Area," choose "Metropolitan Transportation Authority." From the dropdown box that says "Subagency/Employer," choose "Long Island RR." I found these instructions on another forum.

Now the wiseguys have blacked out job titles it for current years and will only say "NDR" about what job the people are doing in order to hide information from us. I would rather they hide names than this information, but there is a way around their sneakiness in order to find the truth.

If you look at older years, you will be able to see what people in different job titles are being paid because all the job titles are listed.

So if you want to do a study of what actual job titles are paid, you need to look at old information first, note some random names for each job title you are interested in, and then look up those names NOT choosing a pay year. Then you can see how the wages rose ... and if they are indeed not making more money each year and are indeed COMPLETELY "frozen" as they claim to be. You can also see the difference between annual salary rate and extra money such as overtime, by comparing the columns entitled "Rate of Pay" and "Total."

Old 06-22-2014, 03:39 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Its amzing how much we commuters have to take from the Fail Road. That is why I have no problem giving conductors as much grief as I can.

They couldnt last one day in the real world.

Probably will go in by car service with other employees.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:45 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Would it pay for some to go to Far Rockaway and pick up the subway there?
Or the ferry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island