Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Right.... and the "open" roads become are clogged now without the extra LIRR people on those busses and cars...

Ferry??? from where???
must be a magic tunnel to nyc. The so called open road is one giant parking lot.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 PM

157 posts, read 167,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Nassau County Buses, Express Buses, Jitney, Ferry, Subway, Roads all open this is no big deal. THe LIRR thinks they are more imporant then then are. I only take them as it saves me an hour on commuting each day. They make is seem like they own the own water in the desert.
So you value the convenient service they provide. I guess its worth the money. Thanks. We try.. we honestly do in spite of the politics and decisions that are beyond our control.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:37 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
They could just cut cost by replacing ticket punchers with turnstiles like everywhere else in the world. I hate the fact that you have someone come over during your ride to wake you up to look at your ticket if you happen to have fallen asleep during your overpriced commute. Then you’ll have the occasional explosive/athletic individuals who’ll board without a ticket or the wrong ticket and refuse to pay. Simple solution: eliminate the Wyandanch stop.
As I've said many times on this forum, there are too many grade level stations for this to be feasible.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:38 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
They could just cut cost by replacing ticket punchers with turnstiles like everywhere else in the world. I hate the fact that you have someone come over during your ride to wake you up to look at your ticket if you happen to have fallen asleep during your overpriced commute. Then you’ll have the occasional explosive/athletic individuals who’ll board without a ticket or the wrong ticket and refuse to pay. Simple solution: eliminate the Wyandanch stop.
Why the Wyandanch stop?

Old 06-28-2014, 03:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:

Why Wyandanch?? I've seen this type of thing happen several times and each and every time, it was a WHITE person. Some White guy who told the ticket person "and what if I don't pay?" and he refused to pay her. Another time, a White woman who handed the ticket person a USED ticket and tried to say it wasn't used and then started an argument with the ticket person for touching her ticket and who do you think you are and all this other crap. She refused to pay and then told the ticket person that another ticket person punched her ticket already, etc etc etc.... Only when another ticket person came and they told her they are going to have the police meet them at the next station did she give a legitimate ticket. In my opinion, they should have just put her off the train. And yet another time, some drunk moron (white) who was making a huge scene on the train and refused to pay and wanted to fight everyone.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
If there is a strike, will that mean absolutely no subways or trains are available...or maybe a highly reduced schedule??
Subways are represented by an entirely different union, so they're not affected by the strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
To the poster that said the MTA actually stands to SAVE money from a strike - you hit the nail on the head. If their workers don't work and the trains don't run and the people still have to pay for their monthly tickets, where are they actually being harmed? It's not like we can boycott the only method of transportation available to us.
Not necessarily. They might do something like they did with Sandy and give a pro-rated refund. Also, if they have to run shuttle buses, you need multiple shuttles to accommodate a trainful of passengers, so they're still going to have to spend money on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
From Manhasset - how about Eastern Suffolk?

We don't get any buses in their contingency plan of course, so might as well start walking now I guess since they're so keen on 'shutting this island down'.
Actually, you guys do. Check this out: Preliminary Strike Contingency Plan | The Long Island Rail Road Today

The preliminary plan involves buses from Ronkonkoma, Deer Park, Hicksville, Seaford, Bellmore, Freeport, and Nassau Community College. NY1 says they're going to select subway stations in Queens, probably the ones in Jamaica.

Also, park-and-rides should be set up at the following locations:
* Sunken Meadow State Park
* Hecksher State Park
* Belmont Lake State Park
* Bethpage Sate Park
* Hempstead Lake State Park
* Valley Stream State Park
* Farmingdale State College

Keep in mind that this is just a preliminary plan. It is not set in stone, but there will be some type of shuttle service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Okay, for you it would be a 3 hour commute, plus time to shower (hopefully ) and dress when you get to work.

I would venture to guess that most here can't walk 17 miles, let alone run it. I live in Eastern Nassau and my distance would be closer to 35 miles. I can run some, but not 35 (actually it would be 37) miles to my old office. If you can do that run, then God bless ...
Keep in mind that even without shuttle buses, there's still the regular NICE buses connecting to the subway. (If you really wanted to, you could commute from parts of Suffolk where the buses run early enough).

In any case, I want to contribute and make sure everybody knows what their options will be:

Carpool: From the locations listed above.

LIRR shuttle buses: Preliminary plan to have them run from the above-named stations, but keep looking for updates for the final plan.

Park-and-ride at the Aqueduct Racetrack or Mets-Willets Point subway stations and take the A or 7 into Manhattan.

NICE buses to the subway:
* System map available here. Check off the routes you want to see.
* Schedules available here. There will probably be extreme delays, but at least it'll give you a general idea of how frequently the buses are supposed to run.
* Buses connecting to the stations are as follows:
N4/N4X run along Merrick Road from Jamaica to Freeport
N6/N6X run from Jamaica to Hempstead via Hempstead Turnpike
N20/N21 run along Northern Blvd, connecting to the (7) train
N22/N22A/N22X run in the general area of the Main Line from Jamaica to Hicksville
N31/N32 run from Hempstead to Far Rockaway via the Five Towns area.
N33 from Long Beach to Far Rockaway

TIP: For the Jamaica routes, get off at 169th Street, because at 179th Street buses will be too full to stop.

Hampton Jitney: Mostly from the East End (obviously), but they do have a stop in Islip. Their information is available here.

A list of stops is available here.

7Bus: Leaves from Riverhead, Ronkonkoma, Melville, and Stony Brook. Schedule is available here.

GoBusLI: Leaves from Glen Cove & Roslyn/Manhasset. Three trips a day to both Downtown & Midtown Manhattan. Information is available here

For any intra-LI commuters that may be on here (for instance, if you live in eastern LI and commute to Mineola), there's other options as well. For instance, Coach USA runs some trips from Lake Ronkonkoma to Hempstead. DM me (or post it on here), and I can help you with the specifics if necessary. (I'm not always on here, so DMing might be the quickest way, since I'll get an email notification).

I hope I covered all the options. Keep in mind that there's also buses traveling within Long Island that could bring you to something that'll get you to Manhattan (for instance, if you're in Babylon, you can take the N72 to Hempstead and catch the N6/N6X, or take the N19 to Seaford or Bellmore and take the shuttle bus to Queens).

Old 06-29-2014, 01:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
^^^
Wow! Great information! +5!

Upthread another poster mentioned there is a ferry to NYC in Far Rockaway. Do you have any details on that?

I know there's also one run by NY Waterway, that goes out of Hunters Point South-Long Island City, Queens, called the "East River Ferry." Here is the webpage:

Hunters Point South / Long Island City Terminal

If you look on the webpage above, there is a listing of their other ferry locations that run across the East River from Queens and Brooklyn.

Also are there any ferries to NYC from the North Shore of Nassau? I thought I heard about plans for them, but it was a really long time ago ...

Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
Wow! Great information! +5!

Upthread another poster mentioned there is a ferry to NYC in Far Rockaway. Do you have any details on that?

I know there's also one run by NY Waterway, that goes out of Hunters Point South-Long Island City, Queens, called the "East River Ferry." Here is the webpage:

Hunters Point South / Long Island City Terminal

If you look on the webpage above, there is a listing of their other ferry locations that run across the East River from Queens and Brooklyn.

Also are there any ferries to NYC from the North Shore of Nassau? I thought I heard about plans for them, but it was a really long time ago ...
Glad to be of assistance.

Yes, the ferry goes to Beach 108th Street in Rockaway Park (closer to the western end of the peninsula). Information is available here. It also makes a stop at the Brooklyn Army Terminal (unfortunately, the only form of transit serving the terminal is the B11 bus, which only serves residential Brooklyn neighborhoods, so it doesn't do you much good getting to say, Downtown Brooklyn).

The fare is $3.50, and there's free parking at Beach 108th Street (though I don't know how full the lots get).

It's not a particularly frequent, and in the afternoon, you sometimes have to transfer ferries at the Wall Street pier, but it is another option.

Unfortunately, the only ferry on the North Shore is the one connecting Port Jefferson to Bridgeport (and it doesn't even connect to the Metro-North station. (The travel time is listed as being approximately 75 minutes, and the train ride is at least another 80 minutes if you catch a direct express train, and then there's the walking and waiting time and everything. They're building one in Glen Cove, but they're not finished (see here.

Oh, and that reminds me: Queens express buses are another option. (I don't know if you want to risk getting caught in traffic, but at least they're more comfortable than the subway)

QM1/QM5/QM6: Union Turnpike corridor - Midtown Manhattan (full time)
QM7/QM8: Union Turnpike corridor - Downtown (rush hour only)
QM2/QM20: Beechhurst/Bay Terrace - Midtown (full time)
QM17: Far Rockaway - Midtown (rush hour)
X63: Rosedale - Midtown (rush hour)
X64: Cambria Heights - Midtown (rush hour)
X68: Floral Park - Midtown (rush hour)

Schedules are available here. Just scroll down to the express bus section. When I say "full-time", I mean that they run late into the evening (say, until midnight), and also in the middle of the day. Keep in mind that these aren't the only express buses in Queens, just the ones that leave you closest to the Nassau border.

Also keep in mind that as an alternative to the NICE bus, you can also drive to the Queens border and take a local bus to the subway (so you'll get a fairly empty bus, since it'll be at one of the first stops). Somebody mentioned driving to the Q12, which runs on Northern Blvd. The X63/64/68 all have local buses that run in the same area (so you have the option of taking the local bus to the subway in the morning, to avoid traffic, and then take the express bus in the afternoon to get a comfortable ride).

Here is a map of all the Queens buses, including the express buses, so you can decide where you want to park, for which bus. (I'm assuming that since they're mostly residential areas, parking shouldn't be too hard to find).

I don't know what the parking situation would be like if somebody wanted to drive to say, Flushing, Jamaica or Kew Gardens to catch the train. I would assume that there's some type of municipal lot in the area, but I don't know what the rates would be, or any restrictions (and I would assume they fill up fairly quickly, since they're obviously busy areas).

Old 06-29-2014, 04:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
^^^
As for driving to Queens and catching a subway, at the first stop on the E, J and Z trains in Jamaica (called "Jamaica Center"), there is a parking lot right across the street and a multi-level parking garage a couple of blocks away. I think they cost somewhere around $10 to park each day.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How I will handle it:

Use the N4 bus to the E train station at Jamaica Center.
You live in Valley Stream, right? Where does one get the N4?

This is going to be a nightmare. I love how MTA is like "just say home". Ha, yeah right. My co already said either you figure out how you're getting to work or you don't have work to come to.

I am really hoping this is just a bunch of talk and not serious but at this point, it looks like more and more of a reality the closer we draw to the deadline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island