Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times

Advertisements

I am glad that I work on Long Island and not in the city and don't have to deal with this mess. I feel sorry for those who do have to commute to the city. Now hopefully you understand at least one reason why I choose to work on Long Island.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 AM

167 posts, read 305,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I am glad that I work on Long Island and not in the city and don't have to deal with this mess. I feel sorry for those who do have to commute to the city. Now hopefully you understand at least one reason why I choose to work on Long Island.
If work was steady for construction then my husband would be out here. Unfortunately the union work on LI is pretty slow. You are very lucky to have steady, high paying work on LI.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:33 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
FACT the Pension/Medical Plan LIRR workers get the day they retire if a private sector folk had to but it is worth 1.2 million. - What is the source of this FACT, other than the NY Post's Nicole Gelinas?

FACT LIRR workers barely contribute to a Pension Plan. - Debatable, if you consider the railroad retirement a pension plan than not fact.

Lirr employees pay 3% into their MTA pension (agreed, not a whole lot) then they pay the same (6%) for RRB T1 that you pay into social security. THEN they pay an additional 7% into RRB T2 (which you don't pay into SS), however, when they reach 65 the lose 50% of the MTA pension when the RRB payments kick in

FACT LIRR workers get paid OT - Yes, this is a fact that represented, non management employees do get paid overtime pay in excess of 40 hours. Isn't this the law?

There is no law that requires time and 1/2 as long as workers are adequated paid, what I tell folks pretend your staff works 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Pay them on paper minimun wage for first 40 hours then on paper next 128 hours pay them time and 1/2 and make that the lowest salary system will accept. Then for current employees keep their time and a half but phase them out when their base hits 100K.

3 percent to pension is a joke. Most employees in ordwer to retire have to do the 401k max which is like 17..5% in private sector.

For a married RR worker in good health upon retirement go price out an anuity that pays off the income stream that matches your pension and medical plan. I would say 1.2 million is a low estimate.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:56 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,062,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
There is no law that requires time and 1/2 as long as workers are adequated paid,.
Yes there is a law that requires non-exempt employees to be paid overtime after working 40 hours in a week.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:01 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I felt the same thing when LI had a gasoline shortage during the hurricane mess.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,362 times
Quote:
There is no law that requires time and 1/2 as long as workers are adequated paid, what I tell folks pretend your staff works 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Pay them on paper minimun wage for first 40 hours then on paper next 128 hours pay them time and 1/2 and make that the lowest salary system will accept. Then for current employees keep their time and a half but phase them out when their base hits 100K.

3 percent to pension is a joke. Most employees in ordwer to retire have to do the 401k max which is like 17..5% in private sector.

For a married RR worker in good health upon retirement go price out an anuity that pays off the income stream that matches your pension and medical plan. I would say 1.2 million is a low estimate.
The law is a salaried employee is exempt from collecting OT. An hourly employee MUST be paid OT over 40 hours. It's irrelevant how adequated (your word not mine) the employee is.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:

as the late, great Gorilla Monsoon used to say, you're a fountain of misinformation!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
as the late, great Gorilla Monsoon used to say, you're a fountain of misinformation!

He never said that to Lord Alfred Hayes!!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
The law is a salaried employee is exempt from collecting OT. An hourly employee MUST be paid OT over 40 hours. It's irrelevant how adequated (your word not mine) the employee is.
The distinction is not SALARIED versus HOURLY. It has nothing to do with how people's pay is figured out. Salaried employees can be eligible for overtime.

The distinction is EXEMPT versus NON-EXEMPT. An exempt employee is exempt from overtime pay laws. A non-exempt employee is not.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:11 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,386,331 times
Enjoy it while you can, machines can probably do most of these jobs. We can probably look forward to union violence and sabotage at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island