Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 AM

1,917 posts, read 7,083,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPat113 View Post
Hello all,
Just a little update in our house hunting. We have several houses that we found that we are interested in.
- South Merrick on the Clubhouse Peninsula- Lakeside Elementary
- two houses in Wantagh...one in the Mandalay section and one in Wantagh Woods- Mandalay Elem. & Wantagh Elem.
- North Syosset, around Cold Spring Rd.- Berry Hill Elem.
- Old Canterbury in Rockville Centre
- A house in Garden City that directly backs Adelphi's campus. Not sure if this could cause traffic problems though
- Port Washington in Flower Hill- South Salem Elem.
- Port Washington in the Terrace I think its called? It's on a private road just off of North Plandome- Sousa Elem.
- Manhasset in Plandome Heights- Shelter Rock Elem.
- Port Washington in Manhasset Bay Estates- Sousa Elem.

What do you all think?
Ok I just looked back at your old post. Seems you are looking for family oriented, strongly Catholic Communities. I will comment on each on below. Funny ALL the areas you recommend we ALSO looked in so I know a lot about them.

Keeping in mind, PW is not strongly Catholic, it is very mixed religion wise.
I suggest you search this forum on Port Washington to find out the scoop. There has been a LOT of talk lately. I would personally chose PW, Flower Hill section over PW's terrace for some reasons that you will find when you search PW on here.

Wantagh Mandalay, GREAT area. Many Catholics, but also Jewish mixed in as well. Nice family area. I have cousins with a house there for many years. Highly recommend, just might have a slight issue with getting home/property insurance due to being close the water. So that could pose an issue for you.

Wantagh Woods, mainly Catholic, nice family area also. Nothing negative to say, would be no problem re home insurance.

South Merrick, mainly Jewish by far. Not many Catholics to my knowledge there. Again, could pose an insurance issue based on proximity to the water. But a pretty good area.

North Syosset, mixed religion wise. Not strongly Catholic at all. Just a mix. Also a great area. Great schools. Great property values. If you search Syosset on here too, you will find some info. Mostly people complain about traffic on roads when referring to Syosset. We looked there for a while but nixed it for some reasons.

Garden City, STRONGLY Catholic. Most Catholic area out of all the homes you visited. Great family area. I know the block you refer to, I don't think you will find major congestion problems. But always keep in mind property values when buying a home that has a drawback like backing a school, etc. I know GC very well and highly recommend buying there. VERY VERY FAMILY ORIENTED. Great for kids.

Old Canterbury in RVC, great family area also. Mixed religion wise, mostly Catholic and Jewish. I am just not a fan of RVCs surrounding neighborhoods, and I hate the Southern State.

PW in Manhasset Bay Estates, mixed religions. I don't know if I would buy here. I believe it is very close to Manorhaven, a not so great area. I could be wrong...but search this forum again on that.

Manhasset in Plandome Heights. Manhasset is mixed but from what I know, more so Catholic. I don't know if it is a great family area. I know the area (just drove through yesterday). Nice area as well. Not sure what schools they go to though? So can't comment on that.

I would say based on what you are looking for, I would say Wantagh and Garden City really fit the description best re a family oriented area that is strongly Catholic.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 12-30-2007 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 32,657 times
Thank You for your input. We really like Garden City, it does seem perfect. Only problem is the surrounding areas, but it seems they do a pretty good job of not letting what happened to Garden City happen to their town. It's just so hard looking for a great town to raise your kids.
I think we have narrowed it down to Wantagh, Garden City, Rockville Centre and Flower Hill section of Port Washington.
Thank you everyone for all of your help, I will keep you posted!
Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2007, 08:47 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,568,611 times
Quote:
... Flower Hill section of Port Washington.

I think that you're referring to that part of the Village of Flower Hill that has a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address.

Other parts of the Village of Flower Hill have a "Roslyn, NY 11576" and a "Manhasset, NY 11030" mailing address.

There is no "Flower Hill, NY ?????" ZIP Code postal zone.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,083,519 times
Quote:
Thank You for your input. We really like Garden City, it does seem perfect. Only problem is the surrounding areas, but it seems they do a pretty good job of not letting what happened to Garden City happen to their town. It's just so hard looking for a great town to raise your kids.
I think we have narrowed it down to Wantagh, Garden City, Rockville Centre and Flower Hill section of Port Washington.
Thank you everyone for all of your help, I will keep you posted!
Happy New Year

You don't have to be concerned about the surrounding areas of GC, all towns are fine except Hempstead and it is an entirely seperate entity. Prices, incorporation, police dept, taxes, etc keep things extremely seperate. Keep in mind, Hempstead Tpke has stores, shopping etc, so GC doesn't get driven though often by anyone who might concern you. Hempstead tpke has everything one could ever need. Trust me, you won't even know Hempstead exists when you are nestled in your lovely neighborhood. The GC police do a great job of keeping things safe and it is well known, so crimes are very very low in GC. It is very family oriented and most homeowners have similar values and a great sense of community.

Hempstead would never deter me from moving to GC. Keep us posted. GL

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 12-31-2007 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island