U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:46 PM

85 posts, read 313,727 times
we currently live in forest hills and are looking to move b/c FH have gone downhill especially with the new mini mansion invasions in the recent years. we thought we were upgrading by moving to PW. never in a million years would i have thought that PW would have gang and illegal immigrant issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:52 PM

919 posts, read 1,177,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
we currently live in forest hills and are looking to move b/c FH have gone downhill especially with the new mini mansion invasions in the recent years. we thought we were upgrading by moving to PW. never in a million years would i have thought that PW would have gang and illegal immigrant issues.
Yes, PW has these issues but not anywhere near the levels that Queens has. If you are comfortable in Forest Hills, Port should be fine for you. Just stay away from Manorhaven and Harbor Road and you'll be fine, honest.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,837,903 times
Quote:
where are all these people coming from? is it really a result of the section 8 housing? what were officials thinking? and why didn't the community fight against it? i mean, not to sound like a total *you know what*, but if you cannot afford to buy a house in a nice area, then maybe you shouldn't live there. it really annoys me how all the housing projects are by the water in NYC. it's prime real estate and people living there don't even appreciate it. what's worse is when people move into a decent neighborhood and ruin it.

See Smithtown thread for a situation in the making that you refer to.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
where are all these people coming from? is it really a result of the section 8 housing? what were officials thinking? and why didn't the community fight against it? i mean, not to sound like a total *you know what*, but if you cannot afford to buy a house in a nice area, then maybe you shouldn't live there. it really annoys me how all the housing projects are by the water in NYC. it's prime real estate and people living there don't even appreciate it. what's worse is when people move into a decent neighborhood and ruin it.

Many of us totally agree with everything you wrote. Sickening.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
It's happening all over. Even the quiet place where I grew up in the Great Lakes/Midwest is starting to have issues. It's just most people are not aware of things that go on in their local community.
I agree. Just recently Andybuildz posted a link about gangs in Asheville NC. Asheville is a gorgeous place, so I was shocked to hear this. So yes, it must be many other areas unfortunately.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Yes, PW has these issues but not anywhere near the levels that Queens has. If you are comfortable in Forest Hills, Port should be fine for you. Just stay away from Manorhaven and Harbor Road and you'll be fine, honest.
I agree entirely. I know Forest Hills well. I was from Queens/Bklyn myself and nothing is as bad as either. I guess it is just so mindblowing b/c of what things cost, you expect not one problem but this is the reality here...

Old 12-17-2007, 05:18 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,340,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
This MS-13 business is a SERIOUS problem on LI, if you're worried even slightly about it I wouldn't bother moving here.
I never thought that I'd be saying, "thank God I got to experience the good times growing up on LI".

Wow, just shocking. And then this Section 8 garbage? Now I can say that, even though I live in a place now that has its own problems, at least it's not LI.

All joking aside, this makes me truly sad.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:05 PM

*shrug*

REALLY nice attitude. But, that's what happens when people cannot discuss things rationally.

Nice job.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM

127 posts, read 313,678 times
Port is hardly the only community with HUD/Section 8 housing. Manhasset, Great Neck and Roslyn all have identical set-ups.

I have lived here for 13 years, and have not experienced any issues, although just becuse I haven't doesn't mean that issues don't exist. They very well may be.

I think the bigger issue is Manorhaven, but even that isn't exactly all some have made it out to be.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 PM

It's all about perspective, to be sure. But, honestly, to start talking about "which areas to avoid because of the gang members" throws this LIer for a loop.

Meh, I'm sure that I'll be called a "Nazi" again for saying this....but, LI seemed like a much better place when I was living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island