Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the privatization of Nassau's sewer system?
Yes 3 21.43%
No 9 64.29%
Unsure 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

I thought that NIFA gave him a big, fat "NO!" when he tried this a couple of years ago.

Now? He's already shook hands on a deal to turn them over to a NJ company. Oh great, now we will pay through the nose (remember PSEG?) for sewers!

Nassau sewer system to be managed by N. firm under multimillion-dollar deal - Newsday

Quote:
Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano has reached a deal for a private company to manage the county's massive sewer system, saying the plan will save at least $233 million over 20 years and improve environmental protection.

The contract between Mangano and United Water of Harrington Park, New Jersey, calls for Nassau to pay the firm $57.4 million a year -- adjusted annually for inflation -- to operate its three major wastewater treatment plants, 53 pumping stations and 3,000 miles of sewers.

The deal needs approval by the GOP-controlled county legislature and the Nassau Interim Finance Authority, a state monitoring board in control of the county's finances.
I thought the problem with the needed fix-up of our sewer plants was solved with proposed Federal funding already! Why is he privatizing it and essentially putting all Nassau residents at the mercy of a private, for-profit company who are primarily responsible to their shareholders, so, of course, the sky's the limit on what they will charge us!

Right now, most houses in Nassau pay around $300 a year in their property taxes for sewers. Period.

What will happen next? High monthly bills IN ADDITION to the $300 a year is what I think. Of course, the article doesn't say anything about THAT. Says absolutely NOTHING about how much Nassau residents will have to pay.

Another thing I don't like is that the people already working at the plants are just about guaranteed jobs with the new company. What's the point of that? What's the point of handing out jobs at the new company to the old people who didn't do their jobs properly in the first place and ran the plants into the ground? How is the new company going to get better results with the same old bad workers who ruined the plants? Why not hire people who will actually be competent at their jobs instead of proven incompetent people? I guess that's in the contract because of Mangano's political patronage deals.

What do you think about this sneaky privatization deal? He was told NO a long time ago, yet he just kept at it. What do you think HE is getting under the table for selling us out yet again?

I think everybody who is against this has a duty to write to the County legislature and NIFA before it is too late!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
1. I am so thrilled to be getting out.

2. Privatisation of public assets/utilities generally result in increased costs and stagnant or deteriorating service. Quite frankly, the purchaser's stock might merit an assessment as a potential portfolio purchase.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
1. I am so thrilled to be getting out.

2. Privatisation of public assets/utilities generally result in increased costs and stagnant or deteriorating service. Quite frankly, the purchaser's stock might merit an assessment as a potential portfolio purchase.
LOL! Well, that's a way to put a silver lining on this ...

PS: the company is not purchasing the sewer system, but will be paid by Nassau County to run it. Like what Nassau did with Long Island Bus (now called NICE Bus) and Veolia.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
is this like a middle finger to the unions?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:06 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
It's another middle finger to the citizens.
I can't believe this stuff keeps going on.
Really.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 PM

400 posts, read 761,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
is this like a middle finger to the unions?
I believe they signed a No-Layoff agreement.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
I'd get pissed but this kind of minor corruption garbage is present literally everywhere in the world. No escaping it.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:20 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Can someone please explain why this is bad? I read up on Newsday about it and on "paper", it's SUPPOSED to save the taxpayers 100's of millions over the next several yrs.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
doesn't NIFA have to sign off on this?

Old 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM

480 posts, read 669,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Can someone please explain why this is bad? I read up on Newsday about it and on "paper", it's SUPPOSED to save the taxpayers 100's of millions over the next several yrs.
Same. I am confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: