Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times

Advertisements

No idea what the name is, and I'm too lazy to look it up. Sayville, right across from the golf course. Delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:31 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Prince and 39th
Oh, ok. That's up the block from Gu Shine. It must be on the opposite end of Pho.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
So you're saying Goo Shine is on the opposite end of Poo?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM

72 posts, read 81,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I worked across the street from Gu Shine. I must have eaten there at least twice a week. The lunch specials were around $5 and you got a huge plate of food with soup.

I never had 66 Lu's. Is that further down by the hospital?

Oh, and there's a really good restaurant a block or 2 over from NYHQ. We're not fans of the buffet restaurant (too many people lack grace and etiquette lol) but the restaurants along Main St from Northern Blvd down to the hospital are very good.

I have a craving for pork chop soup and cold sliced beef now
Wow. Thank you. We will definitely have to try it.

So many delicious sounding suggestions. Now to find the time to try them all and write reviews.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:27 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm in Stony Brook by the University.Locals also favor Eastern Pavillion on the Stony Brook/Setauket border.
Have you been there lately? They used to be the best!!! Pricey, but worth it. Now???? Mediocre at best. I think they have new owners. Shame, I will never eat there again.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Have you been there lately? They used to be the best!!! Pricey, but worth it. Now???? Mediocre at best. I think they have new owners. Shame, I will never eat there again.
Which one? Or both?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemagnum View Post
Wow. Thank you. We will definitely have to try it.

So many delicious sounding suggestions. Now to find the time to try them all and write reviews.
On Prince St from 38th to 39th Ave, the entire block is pretty much just restaurants. There's Taiwanese, Cantonese, Thai and Vietnamese all on one block

I know you didn't ask about bakeries, but I loved the cakes and pastries. They use a light and fluffy cake, almost like an angel food cake and they are not sugary sweet. My mom was very picky with bakery items (we're Italian) and she loved the pastries and cakes that I would pick up from Tai Pan Bakery. You can get various buns and noodles and bubble tea.

Man do I miss working there

Old 07-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Are they authentic Chinese restaurants like in Flushing or Chinatown or are they the typical Chinese take out type but just more upscale? I found there are no authentic restaurants but have come across a few take out places that have Chinatown style soups.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
On Prince St from 38th to 39th Ave, the entire block is pretty much just restaurants. There's Taiwanese, Cantonese, Thai and Vietnamese all on one block

I know you didn't ask about bakeries, but I loved the cakes and pastries. They use a light and fluffy cake, almost like an angel food cake and they are not sugary sweet. My mom was very picky with bakery items (we're Italian) and she loved the pastries and cakes that I would pick up from Tai Pan Bakery. You can get various buns and noodles and bubble tea.

Man do I miss working there
Our reviews are only if Chinese restaurants. And the more authentic the better. There are a plethora of Chinese restaurants we have to try for sure. It's just a question as to which to go to first!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemagnum View Post
Our reviews are only if Chinese restaurants. And the more authentic the better. There are a plethora of Chinese restaurants we have to try for sure. It's just a question as to which to go to first!

Oh, ok....but if you switch to reviews on bakeries, you'll find plenty in Flushing, too! LOL

You can go to 2 or 3 in one afternoon. Maybe order 2 or 3 appetizers or soup in one restaurant, then go to another for an entree. Some restaurants let you share. Then you can walk it off while shopping (there's tons of shopping) then go to another restaurant and order another dish or 2

If you go to Chinatown, go to 17 Mott St Wo Hop. They are authentic and there's a separate menu that is only in Chinese. It's a bit more "exotic" than most Americans would go for. It's far from fancy and I believe it's cash only but the food is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island