Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,221,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
On numerous occasions I have witnessed people on the beach become really uptight for just about anything. I dont want to start a race issue here either but for the most part is mainly white folks (I'm caucasian by the way). I'll use yesterday's day at the beach for an example.

So I'm on Jones Beach field 6. I set up and kick back. In my vicinity there is a mid 30-ish white couple relaxing reading books. Every single time anyone around them spoke, laughed, or made any type of noise, they both stopped reading, looked up at one another and shook their heads. There was a group in the far distance playing some music and this couple kept mentioning that they hope the music players get a ticket for playing music on the beach. About an hour before I get set to leave a group of people in thier early 20's set up aside from them. While there they were all laughing and just having a good time/day at the beach. One guy was particularly louder than the rest because he had a deep voice with a loud laugh. Everytime he said anything or laughed, this couple became so annoyed. At one point the woman even slammed her book down and just took a walk.

Now my question is, if what you want is a quiet and peaceful relaxing day at the beach, why would you go to the most crowded section of the beach on a 90 degree day when school is out!? Surely you're going to encounter all types. Kids, music players, loud teens, etc. Why not go to a section of the beach that is less crowded?
Got to share the public spaces I agree but here that seems for many going to the beach to get drunk and raise some hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:58 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,879,858 times
Call me crazy but, the thought of an MTV like dance party on the beach with front row seats sounds great. You guys are waaaaay uptight.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 AM

56 posts, read 88,764 times
I experienced it at the beach the other day too. I have 2 boys and we set up by the boogey board section of Pt. Lookout. Everytime they came in and out of the water and back to my blanket, the 2 people behind me reading their books (older couple, no kids) kept looking at them!
Come on, its the boogey board section...which to me means all families and kids.
I will NEVER go to Jones Beach...yuck...and its closest to me. I drive the extra 15 minutes to Pt.Lookout, Nickerson or Malibu.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,530,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's your reply? Instead of having consideration of the fact that one of these people might very well have had a health-related issue, you resort to a personal attack.
Assumptions, assumptions. Ok I'll rephrase. This couple SEEMED to be in fine health. They were young and moved around quite fine. If remaining close to the bathrooms and concession stands was a priority for them due to health reasons, they wound not have been as far into the beach as they were. They had the option to remain MUCH closer to the facilities.

Last edited by louie0406; 07-02-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Got to share the public spaces I agree but here that seems for many going to the beach to get drunk and raise some hell

If that was the case I would clearly understand their anger. Nothing worse than being around drunk obnoxious people.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 AM

573 posts, read 1,238,870 times
Quote:
On numerous occasions I have witnessed people on the beach become really uptight for just about anything. I dont want to start a race issue here either but for the most part is mainly white folks (I'm caucasian by the way). I'll use yesterday's day at the beach for an example.

So I'm on Jones Beach field 6. I set up and kick back. In my vicinity there is a mid 30-ish white couple relaxing reading books. Every single time anyone around them spoke, laughed, or made any type of noise, they both stopped reading, looked up at one another and shook their heads. There was a group in the far distance playing some music and this couple kept mentioning that they hope the music players get a ticket for playing music on the beach. About an hour before I get set to leave a group of people in thier early 20's set up aside from them. While there they were all laughing and just having a good time/day at the beach. One guy was particularly louder than the rest because he had a deep voice with a loud laugh. Everytime he said anything or laughed, this couple became so annoyed. At one point the woman even slammed her book down and just took a walk.

Now my question is, if what you want is a quiet and peaceful relaxing day at the beach, why would you go to the most crowded section of the beach on a 90 degree day when school is out!? Surely you're going to encounter all types. Kids, music players, loud teens, etc. Why not go to a section of the beach that is less crowded?
So many possibilities, here are just a few:

They may not be from around here and are used to beaches being quiet.
They may have been hungover.
They may just be really irritable people.
They may be racists, you only indicated the race of the annoyed people (presumably bc you don't want to start a race issue) - what race were the people who annoyed them? If not white, well, there we go; if white, they may be self-hating whites.
They may just hate Americans.
They may be aliens studying humans in different environs and they really hate the job they've been tasked with.
They may be performance artists who were putting on a show just for you.
They may have gotten in a fight just before getting to the beach and so they were in a bad mood all day.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 AM

19,096 posts, read 16,937,593 times
OP

Maybe the couple are just the type who believe that everyone should conduct themselves as if the beach is a private club for the upper crust, who knows.....

But as usual reading all the posts it's obvious that there is a broad spectrum of what is considered acceptable behavior at a public beach, maybe it's age, maybe it's cultural heritage, maybe it's some peoples mindset that the State Parks should be restricted to those within 20 miles of it's entrance ....who knows

Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Call me crazy but, the thought of an MTV like dance party on the beach with front row seats sounds great. You guys are waaaaay uptight.

Its funny because I travel often and am use to beaches in the Carribean or Miami where pretty much anything goes. I just recently traveled to Puerto Rico and the beach in Isla Verde was so much fun and lively with everyone just having a good time dancing, drinking, listening to music, etc. It was like one big beach party for adults. Although there are police stationed right by the beach entrance, they dont bother unless someone gets out of hand which I never witnessed. beaches here are so lame compared to those in the Carribean. I forget which beach it was (may have been Long beach), upon entering there's an entire list of rules. No ball playing, no frisbee, no drinking, no music, no kite flying, no nothing but sitting....etc.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:55 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,986,545 times
Quote:
Its funny because I travel often and am use to beaches in the Carribean or Miami where pretty much anything goes. I just recently traveled to Puerto Rico and the beach in Isla Verde was so much fun and lively with everyone just having a good time dancing, drinking, listening to music, etc. It was like one big beach party for adults. Although there are police stationed right by the beach entrance, they dont bother unless someone gets out of hand which I never witnessed. beaches here are so lame compared to those in the Carribean. I forget which beach it was (may have been Long beach), upon entering there's an entire list of rules. No ball playing, no frisbee, no drinking, no music, no kite flying, no nothing but sitting....etc.
Because those are tourist places known for partying. That's not what Jones Beach has ever been about.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Because those are tourist places known for partying. That's not what Jones Beach has ever been about.
Its not just jones beach though. It goes for pretty much any beach on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island