Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
OK, believe what you want. I will continue to save year after year.
I think it would depend upon several things. The initial cost to convert and hook up in addition to the number of people in the home that are using the hot water, how often you bathe, do dishes, laundry etc. Based upon what my electric was before I relocated, there would be no way it would be cheaper for me, but you may use the heated water differently than my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
Pretty sure my hot water heater needs to be replaced. Have a call in to my oil company to come look at it

Was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a plumber if/when I need replacement or should I just let Meenan replace it.
If you have forced hot water to heat your house, you can and an indirect fired stainless steel storage tank for domestic hot water. That would be my recomendation.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Im away from my desk, but I will attempt this...

Lets say you need 200,000 BTU's.

I will do oil first...1 gallon of #2 heating oil = 138,000 Btus. Minus the 20% in efficiency is 110,400 btus per gallon. So to heat up 200,000 btus we need approx. 2 gallons. 2 gallons x $3.40(today's rate) = $6.80.

Electric= 1,500 watts = 5,115 btus. For 200,000 btus is approx. 60,000 watts= 60KW. LIPA is charging about .24 cents per KW. So .24X60=$14.40.

Looks to not even be close in the NYC area...unless you have some type of solar setup.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM

252 posts, read 420,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
If you have forced hot water to heat your house, you can and an indirect fired stainless steel storage tank for domestic hot water. That would be my recomendation.
Just to be clear, I have a forced air system (probably needs replacing as well). To use hot water, I would need an entire new system and baseboards installed.

Hence the need for a separate water heater.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Certainly a possibility, but not a good choice - I know, that's what was here when I moved in. I just got up and rinsed out a glass; as I sat back down, I heard the burner kick in, so either the half gallon I used lowered the tank level enough or the tank temperature lowered enough to trigger the burner. It's ninety degrees outside and the burner just ran for four or five minutes because I used a half gallon of warm water out of a forty gallon tank.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
Just to be clear, I have a forced air system (probably needs replacing as well). To use hot water, I would need an entire new system and baseboards installed.

Hence the need for a separate water heater.
Then I would install an oil fired HWH, I also assume no gas service in the area.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Certainly a possibility, but not a good choice - I know, that's what was here when I moved in. I just got up and rinsed out a glass; as I sat back down, I heard the burner kick in, so either the half gallon I used lowered the tank level enough or the tank temperature lowered enough to trigger the burner. It's ninety degrees outside and the burner just ran for four or five minutes because I used a half gallon of warm water out of a forty gallon tank.
Yes but if you have a good storage tank that was properly installed, it loses .25 degrees of heat per hour for all forty gallons. It may not run again for a while......I would check the temp the aquastat is set for. Maybe just bad timing. The big plus of this system is that domestic hot water is being created at the eff. rating of the boiler which is much higher than a separate HWH.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Kb is correct.....If you have a hot water system your best way to produce hot water is by utilizing a HW storage tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island