Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 10:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,937,730 times

Advertisements

I always felt NY'ers were very patriotic but not according to this The Most Patriotic Cities In The US - Business Insider
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,889,740 times
lol, well probably half of NYC are immigrants or recent-descendants of immigrants so they wouldn't be as patriotic.

Drive through any immigrant neighborhood in either LI or NYC, and you will see a lot of foreign flags hanging in their windows. Even driving around, you see Salvadorian, Mexican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Italian, Pakistani, Columbian, etc, etc, flags in the windows.

Not very patriotic, especially since you or your family decided to abandon that country.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,818,099 times
NYC has historically been one of the most "disloyal" areas in the US. During the revolution, it had the highest concentration of tories and the city and rioted during the civil war. There was a strong pro British/European slant that lingered up to the early 20th century - and some would argue, up to today.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,595,044 times
NYC is loaded with immigrants (legal and illegal) as well as foreign nationals. No surprise that it didn't place on the list.

Long Island isn't a city, so it wouldn't be considered for the list.

Shame on the cities of Glen Cove and Long Beach for not placing, but then again, they're much smaller than the cities which won.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:23 AM

483 posts, read 667,376 times
When I think patriotic, I think those that actively vote to benefit veteran's and their families-NYS has a very strong record in this regard-regardless of party. ...IAVA Action Fund Congressional Report Card | IAVA Action

Here is what this article used as a basis for their patriotism score:

"the percentage of people who are veterans, according to the 2012 American Community Survey; " Why a survey when you have census data? Maps - NATIONAL CENTER FOR VETERANS ANALYSIS AND STATISTICS. Also, a better judge of this is what areas send off more troops, because where veterans end up is not always where they started off.

"the percentage of residents 18 and over who voted in the 2012 presidential election; This one of course if one votes one would be patriotic, no matter the party. It is also a sign of age, and socioeconomic class of the person, an aging, middle class population is more likely to vote.

and the ranking of the best cities for Fourth of July celebrations from Wallet Hub." Why in the world is this even a factor?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 AM

413 posts, read 596,547 times
This whole premise is a silly generalization. NY is America's ambassador city to the world and takes the brunt of most vitriol and threatened violence against it. Even the "hang their own country's flag" immigrants have shown a consistent tendency to band together as Americans in times of crisis or hardship. NY is a patriotic as anyplace in the country.

And as for riots during the civil war, they had nothing to do with patriotism, they were against mandatory conscription into the Union army.

Happy and healthy 4th to all.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,774,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
When I think patriotic, I think those that actively vote to benefit veteran's and their families-NYS has a very strong record in this regard-regardless of party. ...IAVA Action Fund Congressional Report Card | IAVA Action

Here is what this article used as a basis for their patriotism score:

"the percentage of people who are veterans, according to the 2012 American Community Survey; " Why a survey when you have census data? Maps - NATIONAL CENTER FOR VETERANS ANALYSIS AND STATISTICS. Also, a better judge of this is what areas send off more troops, because where veterans end up is not always where they started off.

"the percentage of residents 18 and over who voted in the 2012 presidential election; This one of course if one votes one would be patriotic, no matter the party. It is also a sign of age, and socioeconomic class of the person, an aging, middle class population is more likely to vote.

and the ranking of the best cities for Fourth of July celebrations from Wallet Hub." Why in the world is this even a factor?
This is nonsense. Has anyone considered that a high percentage of veterans in an area is because people tend to return to their homes after military service and those entering military service often do so because of limited career and educational opportunities? That doesn't make them more patriotic than the guy next door (and I speak as a veteran.)

I agree with the assessment about voting above.

And about the celebrations factor. How many people waving the largest flags are doing so while embracing the most anti-American, unconstitutional viewpoints?

Old 07-04-2014, 07:40 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,379,707 times
I'm a military veteran born and raised in New York and I would not say that New York is unpatriotic.

I remember fireworks displayed, people cooking out, family and friends gathering, pride in American tradition, and so on and so forth.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 PM

6,380 posts, read 13,101,287 times
80% of the homes around my block are displaying the red, white and blue. Proudly.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 PM

5,274 posts, read 4,718,295 times
These 'lists' are so stupid. Measuring patriotism? Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island