Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM

18 posts, read 20,906 times

Advertisements

rocafella: I will work on getting those contract details and post them when I do.

eugenit: Thanks for your advice and good wishes. I've seen the name Meenans come up when this subject is discussed, but I don't believe they deliver to western Nassau County.

pidge: EXACTLY my concerns, the uncovered parts that leaves you at their mercy. If I had the resources, I'd replace the burner and hot water heater, but that needs to be in the future. I hear you on Meenans and, again, western Nassau County.

Petro has been calling every day trying to sign me up again and has magically lowered the cap to $4.11. Still way too high...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Following up with the what's covered / not covered with regards to the "most important" parts in the Slomin's contract. It is not listed on the website, but I found a great customer service rep to read things to me and who will also be sending me a hard copy with details on all the parts. Please excuse any typos or incorrect interpretations of these largely unfamiliar names. This is the "Econoplex" plan:

COVERED

Up to 3 zones in home
Circulators
Burner (entire)
Primary Relay
Filters
Aquastat
Blower
Smoke Pipe
Barometer Trans Regulator
Hand Feed Valve

NOT COVERED

Expansion Tank
Entire Boiler Replacement
Chamber Inside Boiler

Thoughts, rocafeller, anyone?

Many thanks...

Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,954,380 times
Yes the expansion tank was one of the items not covered for me. A $30 part cost $225 from Slomins.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,168,665 times
Has anyone else had experience with General, which used to be Blue Flame? I locked $3.79 late in the season last year.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 AM

5,321 posts, read 4,743,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Has anyone else had experience with General, which used to be Blue Flame? I locked $3.79 late in the season last year.
I liked General used to use them for COD quite a bit, but never signed a contract.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,126,141 times
That basically covers your entire system. Tell them you want the expansion tank thrown in too. It's like a $30 part.

If you have hot water being made from your boiler I would ask how much they want to cover that side as well. Slomins is offering $3.34 locked in rate right now. Compare that to what you were paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBoy52 View Post
Following up with the what's covered / not covered with regards to the "most important" parts in the Slomin's contract. It is not listed on the website, but I found a great customer service rep to read things to me and who will also be sending me a hard copy with details on all the parts. Please excuse any typos or incorrect interpretations of these largely unfamiliar names. This is the "Econoplex" plan:

COVERED

Up to 3 zones in home
Circulators
Burner (entire)
Primary Relay
Filters
Aquastat
Blower
Smoke Pipe
Barometer Trans Regulator
Hand Feed Valve

NOT COVERED

Expansion Tank
Entire Boiler Replacement
Chamber Inside Boiler

Thoughts, rocafeller, anyone?

Many thanks...

Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 AM

There is no comparison, the Slomins rate obliterates Petro's. The fact they call the contract "econoplex" alludes to their being more expensive alternatives. Do you know for a fact they will add ala carte coverage upon request?

A final question, which I know has been asked one way or another ad infinitum. What is the degree of confidence that for Year 2, Year 3 you can negotiate a cap of under $4 with Slomin's.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM

169 posts, read 674,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
They make timely deliveries, a decent service contract that excludes a number of parts like an expansion tank (cost me around $250 to replace on a weekend after it burst)

They svc department is horrendous, stop stopped matching other providers and renewal prices are crazy so you have to shop every year but that's the same as every other company.

I would not go back to them again, ever!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM

537 posts, read 1,445,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBoy52 View Post

Petro has been calling every day trying to sign me up again and has magically lowered the cap to $4.11. Still way too high...

I would never do a cap deal with any oil company because there is no regulation regarding what the "market" price would be when they deliver. IMO they will just charge whatever they want.

Petro will usually come down in price more, but you have to play serious hardball with them and tell them you have a contract in hand from another provider (like Slomins) that you are about to sign. Typically I find Peter will usually do about 20 cents more than the best deal for Slomins, even on renewals. They want to keep customers, not lose them.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Typically I find Petro will usually do about 20 cents more than the best deal for Slomins, even on renewals. They want to keep customers, not lose them.
Thanks for this thought, ave1024. While there's zero question a ton of money can be saved in jumping from Petro in the short term, I would prefer not to be leaping back and forth between companies every 12 months, but that seems to be the way the game's played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: