Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:47 AM

46 posts, read 259,169 times

Advertisements

I tip $20 to the mail(woman) and the garbagemen. When I first moved into my house one November, I got a note from the garbagemen saying that I didn't have the right size garbage cans. I never got new ones and tipped them that year. Three years later, I never got another note. And when I put things out that they probably shouldn't take, they take them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times
We've never tipped the garbage collectors; in our previous home they came by at an ungodly hour before we were even awake, and in our current place they come by in the middle of the day after we are both already gone. (Our garbage trucks are Town trucks, not subcontractors) We do give our mail carrier his holiday envelope in person when we see him on a Saturday during December.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,020 times
I usually tip the mailman every Christmas. We leave $20.00 in an envelope in the mailbox for him.

As for the garbage men, we do try to tip, but my husband and I leave pretty early for work. We usually give $10.00 each to the 2 guys, but unfortuantely if we miss them one year, they don't get a tip. Unlike the mailman, there is no secure place to leave $ for them.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:22 PM

19 posts, read 69,274 times
As you can tell by my user name, I am a mailman. While I would never leave cards to solicit tips, they are appreciated. The funny thing is, the customers who expect you to jump thru hoops for them are the stiffs. I'm talking about people who do all their shopping through the mail, expect us to buy stamps for them, want their mail held every other week, etc. Something I have noticed, having worked in middle class and well to do neighborhoods, is the middle class people are far more grateful for the work we do. Not only at Christmas, just things like offering a cool drink on a hot day. I will go "above and beyond the call" for someone who has taken care of me. I will pay someones forty cent or whatever postage due out of my own pocket if they remembered me, if not, why should I?

Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary the Mailman View Post
As you can tell by my user name, I am a mailman. While I would never leave cards to solicit tips, they are appreciated. The funny thing is, the customers who expect you to jump thru hoops for them are the stiffs. I'm talking about people who do all their shopping through the mail, expect us to buy stamps for them, want their mail held every other week, etc. Something I have noticed, having worked in middle class and well to do neighborhoods, is the middle class people are far more grateful for the work we do. Not only at Christmas, just things like offering a cool drink on a hot day. I will go "above and beyond the call" for someone who has taken care of me. I will pay someones forty cent or whatever postage due out of my own pocket if they remembered me, if not, why should I?
Gary I totally agree.I work and live in Coram and the better the area,the less we are appreciated but the higher the volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island