Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's exactly the same as every other area cookie cutter commercial area like it in the country. No better, no worse.

I live very close and I enjoy having so many different food shopping options and being in and out in no time.

The Nimby's and environmental lobby destroyed the idea of having 347 become a limited access highway, which is what really should have happened, so you can blame them for having to crawl through the area during peak times.
Agreed! 347 is like many other suburban shopping drags around the country.

The rub is that a lot of people who complain about traffic on 347 were the same people who went up in arms with every expressway proposal. 347 totally should've been retrofitted to be an expressway with service roads like Sunrise Highway. Even when the proposal was revived, this time as a greenway, it still got struck down by environmentalists and NIMBYs. Even a pseudo expressway like Nicholls Road would've been an improvement.

Growth is going to happen regardless, it's how we plan for the growth that matters. Politicians and residents plugged their ears when they were warned about increasing congestion on 347, now they have to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 AM

414 posts, read 808,394 times
It is quite annoying that every little empty space seems to have something squeezed into it now. There really is no need for all the stores and such going up everywhere.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
I avoid that stretch between 25 and Nichols like the plague.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:47 AM

414 posts, read 808,394 times
25 actually moves better than 347 does these days, never thought I'd ever utter those words, but it does.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's exactly the same as every other area cookie cutter commercial area like it in the country. No better, no worse.

I live very close and I enjoy having so many different food shopping options and being in and out in no time.
I have to admit to being happy that we now have a Fairway AND that an existing building was retrofitted to accommodate it.

The whole cookie cutter commercial area which doesn't differ much from state to state is anathematic to me and symptomatic of a handful of large enterprises owning the lion's share of businesses within them. Below is a list of 11 stores which are held by 3 companies. I'm sorry to rant. The generic facades, the profits being funneled off LI and out of NYS, the increased congestion...grrrr

Bed Bath Beyond, Buy Buy Baby, Harmon Face Values, Christmas Tree Shops are all owned by the same company.

Marshalls, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Sierra Trading post are all owned by another company.

DSW, American Eagle, Burlington Coat Factory yet another.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Agreed! 347 is like many other suburban shopping drags around the country.

The rub is that a lot of people who complain about traffic on 347 were the same people who went up in arms with every expressway proposal. 347 totally should've been retrofitted to be an expressway with service roads like Sunrise Highway. Even when the proposal was revived, this time as a greenway, it still got struck down by environmentalists and NIMBYs. Even a pseudo expressway like Nicholls Road would've been an improvement.

Growth is going to happen regardless, it's how we plan for the growth that matters. Politicians and residents plugged their ears when they were warned about increasing congestion on 347, now they have to live with it.
347 should have been a highway as planned decades ago, with the addition of local service roads for shopping areas.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 AM

730 posts, read 1,301,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I have to admit to being happy that we now have a Fairway.
Yes indeed! The parking lot at the one in Plainview is kind of a nightmare for sure.

That new building is a Charles Schwab? The word that comes to mind immediately is "why?" LOL

There's also something new going up at the intersection of 454 and Harned Road; used to be a gas station there I think. I keep hoping it's a TD Bank but it looks too small. :-/ It ridiculous that there is no TD Bank between the one on Jericho Tpke in Commack, and the one on 347 at Rte 111. They are the "Starbucks" of banks and yet they somehow missed that entire northwestern Smithtown/northern Hauppague area entirely.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2L8 View Post
That new building is a Charles Schwab? The word that comes to mind immediately is "why?" LOL
My thought too LOL! Is there a demand for a Charles Schwab in Lake Grove? There's a Fidelity within walking distance.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:14 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
My thought too LOL! Is there a demand for a Charles Schwab in Lake Grove? There's a Fidelity within walking distance.
They have an office @ Main Street and 111 in Smithtown. Guess they're moving out.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
347 should have been a highway as planned decades ago, with the addition of local service roads for shopping areas.
Agreed! I think the original plan did include continuous service roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island