Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:54 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo LI View Post
It can be tough finding the quickest and cheapest way to get to work. I commend you for researching this. While I don't have an answer to your question I encourage you to keep trying to find what works best for you and keep your head held high. All you have to do is Bolieve you can do it!!!!
What the heck is wrong with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Bellakin, may ask when you say that your commute is 1 hour 10 min., do you mean your entire commute bus + subway to LIC? I ask because I was thinking of trying that.
Yes Coney. From my stop, the bus is about 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic/weather/road construction, etc but that's on the regular local bus. I've been able to catch the express at Franklin Ave and get to 179 St in about 20 minutes. The subway can take about 30 minutes but that includes waiting time. Catching the express has made a huge difference in the morning but I'm also leaving later than usual. If I catch the 8:47 at Franklin, I get to Jamaica around 9:10 and by 9:12 the F train leaves the station. I then switch to the E and I'm getting off the train by 9:45-9:50.

My normal commute though is on the local N6, that's why it takes a little longer. But for me, commuting an extra 10-20 minutes or so is with worth it over spending $200 on the monthly ticket PLUS another $100 a month for a metrocard (not worth it for me to get an unlimited card). My building has a shuttle to and from the LIRR station but it's not running the hours I would get to work or when I leave so I'd still have to switch at Jamaica for the E or the LIRR (depending on which way I'm going).

My co-worker lives in Mineola and he does the bus and subway commute. He too said the money he saves is worth it. But of course, everyone is different

Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
If you want to try the NICE bus, I recommend to try a whole month. That will be an indication the true commute. Bellakin seems to arrive work at 10am which may not be indicative of everyone's else commute. I've taken the n20/21 at 5:30am in the past which is a very smooth commute for the obvious reason.

Depending on the time of commute & line....in my experience the NICE bus seems to have bad delay about 2-6x a month....meaning sometimes it can take me 1hr 10 min door to door verses 2 hrs. I've done a few 2.5+ hr commute when everything goes down in flames! Just bring your music & tons of reading materials

Any one who is familiar with the NICE is well aware that Nassau isn't putting any $$$ into maintaining the buses. They have gone as far as putting up barrier to the bus depot so outsiders can't see those broken down buses!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If you want to try the NICE bus, I recommend to try a whole month. That will be an indication the true commute. Bellakin seems to arrive work at 10am which may not be indicative of everyone's else commute. I've taken the n20/21 at 5:30am in the past which is a very smooth commute for the obvious reason.

Depending on the time of commute & line....in my experience the NICE bus seems to have bad delay about 2-6x a month....meaning sometimes it can take me 1hr 10 min door to door verses 2 hrs. I've done a few 2.5+ hr commute when everything goes down in flames! Just bring your music & tons of reading materials

Any one who is familiar with the NICE is well aware that Nassau isn't putting any $$$ into maintaining the buses. They have gone as far as putting up barrier to the bus depot so outsiders can't see those broken down buses!
Exactly sirtiger. During the summer I get in later because I have to take my daughter to camp. During the school year I leave for work around 7:30. If I catch the last E at 179 St at 8:12 a.m., I can do the entire commute in an hour. But lets not forget that the subway is no treat either lol. There are days where the trains are delayed for whatever reason 2-4 days a week.

I also leave work later but I found sometimes when I leave work at 5:30, the bus ride is torture with all the traffic. Everyone's mmv. I've had those 2+ hour commutes too either because of the subway or the bus.

I think trying it for a month is a good suggestion

Old 07-25-2014, 08:09 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
I can speak to the clientele of the n6-- the morning and evening rush won't be a problem at all. The shady crowd only really ride the bus midday and late at night.

Speaking of time, you can save a bit of time if you're near an n6X stop (the limited stop variant). They cut a lot of stops from it about a year or so ago, but if you're near one of those stops, the ride is even better. I dunno, something about not stopping at every corner just makes a big difference for me-- even if it only saves about 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island