Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmennella View Post
I am torn with how I feel regarding this issue, but if we distributed all of these kids across the US it would be about 20 or so kids per county, which on Long Island is probably somewhere near one per school. To me at least this number puts it in a much different perspective then saying we would have to provide for 70,000 kids. Something to think about...
Unfortunately, they won't be distributed fairly. They are going where family is, which is LI. We bore the brunt of the Central American invasion in the 80s and 90s. Those people are these kids' extended families. Hence the kids are and will be coming here primarily. We already have the 2nd most kids being sent here, and we aren't anywhere near the border.

School taxes will rise as we will need to hire ESL teachers and probably start giving free breakfast and lunch. Add medicaid and section 8 to the equation as well. All for foreign people who live in an area no worse than 2 of our largest cities. There has been no natural disaster, no declared war, no famine, NOTHING that warrants refugee status.

This administration has gone insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:23 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,782 times
Sorry to disagree but this administration is doing exactly what it has been planning to do for years. It is the fault of the complacent people of this once great nation that is at fault for it's demise.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:44 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
OneToGo:
Quote:
Sorry to disagree but this administration is doing exactly what it has been planning to do for years. It is the fault of the complacent people of this once great nation that is at fault for it's demise.
Oh indeed it is! Obama promised to fundamentally change America, unfortunately few were listening. It was more important to elect the first African American as president, completely ignoring his sordid past, speeches, and associates. We can only hope that the next president is not elected solely because of race or gender just so closet racists can cleanse their conscience. But to be fair the problem with illegal invaders started decades ago, and both parties are at fault. The Republicans are being run by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce who want cheap labor and the Democrats want them because the only way to enslave a nation is to have an expanding class of impoverished people who are dependent on government for their every need. They will perpetually keep in power those who butter their bread. Make no mistake about it they are not doing this out of compassion. There is no other, I hate to use the word "rational" reason allowing for the importation of millions of poorly skilled, uneducated, impoverished people to illegally invade our nation. I have no problem with legal immigration providing that those who immigrate here legally leave their past behind and are willing to speak our language, learn our history and accept our culture. No more hyphenated American BS. One language, one people, one culture, regardless of race, color or creed.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:48 PM

191 posts, read 516,655 times
If you live in Syosset, or if you know people living in Syosset, you better get them to Call Congressman Steve Israel, write or call and tell them We The residents of Long Island are too Over Crowded, Over Taxes, to add more people draining Long Island.

Full Biography | Congressman Steve Israel

Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
OneToGo:

Oh indeed it is! Obama promised to fundamentally change America, unfortunately few were listening. It was more important to elect the first African American as president, completely ignoring his sordid past, speeches, and associates. We can only hope that the next president is not elected solely because of race or gender just so closet racists can cleanse their conscience. But to be fair the problem with illegal invaders started decades ago, and both parties are at fault. The Republicans are being run by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce who want cheap labor and the Democrats want them because the only way to enslave a nation is to have an expanding class of impoverished people who are dependent on government for their every need. They will perpetually keep in power those who butter their bread. Make no mistake about it they are not doing this out of compassion. There is no other, I hate to use the word "rational" reason allowing for the importation of millions of poorly skilled, uneducated, impoverished people to illegally invade our nation. I have no problem with legal immigration providing that those who immigrate here legally leave their past behind and are willing to speak our language, learn our history and accept our culture. No more hyphenated American BS. One language, one people, one culture, regardless of race, color or creed.
^ THIS!

And to put it simply:

Republicans beholden to the chamber of commerce want their slave wages, and the Dems want their future voters and a permanent majority. That is ALL this is really about.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:03 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Unfortunately, they won't be distributed fairly. They are going where family is, which is LI. We bore the brunt of the Central American invasion in the 80s and 90s. Those people are these kids' extended families. Hence the kids are and will be coming here primarily. We already have the 2nd most kids being sent here, and we aren't anywhere near the border.

School taxes will rise as we will need to hire ESL teachers and probably start giving free breakfast and lunch. Add medicaid and section 8 to the equation as well. All for foreign people who live in an area no worse than 2 of our largest cities. There has been no natural disaster, no declared war, no famine, NOTHING that warrants refugee status.

This administration has gone insane.
Agree with everything here. Although many will come to LI because of our EL Sal and Honduras populations, there are similar enclaves in LA, Northern Virginia, and North Carolina, that's just to name a few.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
If you live in Syosset, or if you know people living in Syosset, you better get them to Call Congressman Steve Israel, write or call and tell them We The residents of Long Island are too Over Crowded, Over Taxes, to add more people draining Long Island.

Full Biography | Congressman Steve Israel
Gail- do you honestly think Steve Israel cares one iota about overcrowding, taxes or even the people of Syosset? Seriously.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I gotta be honest - why would anyone choose to live in America if Europe is an option? I get that these children dont have that option BUT Europe is ridiculously ahead of America in so many things. We need to wake Moderator cut: language removed or we are going to continue to get upstaged. Europeans figured it out ages ago. I am not sure why we havent. No paid maternity in America is ridiculous!!!!!
I've seen this comment in the past; who do you propose should fund this? Are there other lifestyle choices that you believe should also be funded?

Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I've seen this comment in the past; who do you propose should fund this? Are there other lifestyle choices that you believe should also be funded?
Europe has figured out how to fund this. We certainly can.

Maternity Leave needs to be paid. I'll give u an example: i make more than my husband. I am the principal earner. We need both of our incomes in order to live here. We simply cant afford for me to be out of work for 3 mos without pay. We might as well just not have kids at all. We want kids but the reality is that w/o paid maternity leave we just cant afford it. My husband makes terrible $$.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmennella View Post
I am torn with how I feel regarding this issue, but if we distributed all of these kids across the US it would be about 20 or so kids per county, which on Long Island is probably somewhere near one per school. To me at least this number puts it in a much different perspective then saying we would have to provide for 70,000 kids. Something to think about...
Something else to think about is that it won't end here. There are many more where these have come from and they are probably lining up for the trip. Again, where does it end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island