Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM

121 posts, read 109,383 times

Advertisements

Great input Annie53. I'd ask the OP if he has even spoken to the neighbor yet. I find that many people make assumptions that neighbors aren't willing to work with them without even knowing them personally or even opening their mouth to ask. First step would be to speak to the neighbor respectfully as Annie53 suggested then go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 PM

483 posts, read 670,262 times
Can you make a half moon into the fence to accommodate the root? Sounds like the cheapest option, and won't harm the tree, or your relationship.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Only on LI does this become an issue, Annie53got it right just trim the bottom of the fence to accommodate the root(s). Why escalate this into an episode that ends as a scene on Cops....

Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 AM

414 posts, read 808,512 times
Who talks to neighbors anymore? Pfft

Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
But what would be the worst case scenario if he cut the tree and it died? He would owe him damages for the tree? So what is a full grown tree worth? Isnt like you can put a price on a full grown tree.
Well I would say worst case scenario is the tree dies, collapses or limbs fall off, and somebody gets hurt or other property is damaged. Unlikely? Yes. Within the realm of possibility? Yeah, probably, I'm no tree expert.

RPAPL 861 allows for treble damages if you destroy someone else's tree, so if it were to go to court the court would likely attempt to determine a fair amount for the tree and then triple it (if the court found that 861 was satisfied). What would you value a full grown, healthy tree? At least a few hundred I would think.

This sounds like something that can be worked out with the neighbor and I hope OP is able to do so.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Only on LI does this become an issue, Annie53got it right just trim the bottom of the fence to accommodate the root(s). Why escalate this into an episode that ends as a scene on Cops....
I cant understand how this is an issue myself. Did the neighbor even planted the tree there or the creator did?

There is a tree smack dead is the middle of the fence on my yard. Only thing i did was cut the little branches off thats growing off the root. It has already deformed the fence so im going to shape the bottom of the fence to accommodate the root, and also modify the fence and make the tree part of the fence. I hate to see a house with no trees at all.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 AM

61 posts, read 153,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
I cant understand how this is an issue myself. Did the neighbor even planted the tree there or the creator did?

There is a tree smack dead is the middle of the fence on my yard. Only thing i did was cut the little branches off thats growing off the root. It has already deformed the fence so im going to shape the bottom of the fence to accommodate the root, and also modify the fence and make the tree part of the fence. I hate to see a house with no trees at all.
The issue is that since the tree is compromising the fence, it is making the fence buckle and loosen. The neighbors have a few big dogs who jump on that part of the fence making it even more of an issue. But this all is stemming from the big roots of the tree lifting the fence up. Yea it would be a shame to lose that tree i am just looking to see my options and what is legal on my part.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
If you cut the roots to the tree in such a way to kill the tree you technically could get sued. What type of tree is it?

Orthro groundclear is a good solution to pour but with you having dogs and they have dogs it is not a solution. If it is a pine tree. Nail cooper nails into roots on your side and pour a ton of salt on roots, it will kill them roots asap.

Or cut the roots and put cinderblocks, steell, etc, in the ground by roots and fill up.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Maybe your fence is ruining his tree

Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 PM

188 posts, read 416,292 times
Have you spoken to the neighbor? Maybe you could go dutch on the tree removal and fence repair/replacement

If you cannot amicably resolve the issue and it still bothers you, poison the damn tree and be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: