Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 AM

198 posts, read 251,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I wonder why it is that some of the places with the strictest gun laws have the most gun violence.

gun laws are about as effective as the war on drugs.
hmm ...

This is a lie and NRA propaganda ...

Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And please do not list NH as an example --- I feel that there is a huge difference between NY and NH other than gun laws ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 AM

87 posts, read 90,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktroccoli View Post
Yup, I should have titled this thread to ask about manhasset specifically

But seriously, how can you "not care about abortions" if you can't have an abortion? Do you not have sex with women or did you get a vasectomy? It's insulting to say "have self control" when so many MARRIED couples have accidents.

I'm pro choice bc I don't want more unwanted kids running around. But I guess social conservatives just wait a bit, then throw them in jail.
You will be fine in Manhasset/Plandome. Its a liberal part of Nassau, although very fiscally conservative. It has a strong, well established Jewish community as well, going back to the mid 20th century. Its a really nice town with very good schools and you will fit in with no problems.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 AM

7,466 posts, read 4,293,274 times
Marigold69:
I guess we can both cherry pick all day long. But I have to respond:

1. I agree with the corruption of the gun licensing system. I had a concealed weapons permit in Westchester County took me 6 months for a restricted permit. Had I lived 2 miles north I would have gotten an unrestricted permit. It's up to the licensing authority in each county. If they can ban so-called "assault rifles" they can ban all guns. That is their goal. Cuomo stated before the passage of the "Safe Act" that "confiscation was indeed on the table". Now that they have been registered they will be next that was his original intention. Any bureaucrat can come up with any definition as to what constitutes an assault weapon. Any weapon can be used as an assault weapon.

2. As far as I'm concerned anyone convicted of a violent crime should never be let out of prison period. Anyone who intentionally murders an innocent person should be executed within 6 months not 25 years. Prison is for punishment not for rehabilitation. Or should they be colleges or vocational schools? If that's the case why bother with student loans. Just go out and commit a crime, get your education in prison. Hell we might as well turn them into resorts. Arizona has had private prisons before Brewer was elected. Cuomo is no prize either he had a cozy relationship with HUD. They also feel that they do not have to get building permits for their multi million dollar home. I suppose that Democrats never take money from lobbyists. By the way just because you do not agree with Obama does not make you a hater. I guess Democrats were all haters as they vehemently dis-agreed with Bush. No, Democrats like to use that terminology as it implies that just because you dis-agree with Obama somehow you are a racist. Democrats love to play the race card. They need it, they thrive on it, and they fan the flames of it. After all if there were no racism in America there would be no need for the Democratic Party. The ACA has been an abject failure.

3. People that are intent on killing others will use whatever means is available to them. Fact is O.J. Simpson did not use a firearm to slash the throats of his two victims, thousands of victims of domestic violence are killed by weapons other than guns. Whether it be box cutters to bring down airplanes. Fertilizer to bring down buildings. Pressure cookers, whatever. Ever hear of the "Happy Land" fire? People intent on killing others will find a way. Again violent people should never be allowed to roam free in our society. Punishing the innocent with "feel good" legislation will never accomplish anything but fear and resentment against those that advocate it. As far as bars go I guess it's okay to drive to a bar get plastered and then drive away. Which is worse someone who is sober and legally carrying a gun or a drunk driver? Most bars out here are posted "no firearms". The law mostly pertains to restaurants that serve alcohol, again you are not allowed to drink, not even one while carrying a firearm and the penalties for doing so are rather stiff. I have no problem with that. "Gun free zones" are killing zones, which are routinely ignored by those intent on committing mass murder.

4. Those that are coming in are for the most part are foreigners (illegal invaders) who will become dependent on New York's generous social welfare system. They go where their bread is being buttered. I used to live next to a house full of them in Peekskill, calling code enforcement about the over crowded conditions was a fruitless waste of time.

If Arizona is the isolationist extreme so be it, I hope it stays that way. I live here, and I love it here. I'm glad you have no intention of moving here. The people of Arizona love the way it is. As far as I'm concerned there is no middle ground either you are for something or against it. Every time we compromise we lose more freedom. Kind of like a proposed 20% tax increase both sides get together, compromise and you end up with a 10% tax increase. Next year they come back and propose the same thing getting the full 20% only they had to wait a year later. Man, you're keeping me busy, my fingers are getting sore. Gotta go!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-01-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 AM

34 posts, read 51,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padajo View Post
You will be fine in Manhasset/Plandome. Its a liberal part of Nassau, although very fiscally conservative. It has a strong, well established Jewish community as well, going back to the mid 20th century. Its a really nice town with very good schools and you will fit in with no problems.
Thanks so much! Our RE agent mentioned that Manhasset was "traditionally" Catholic, but I doubt that matters much any more.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 AM

413 posts, read 596,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Marigold69:
I guess we can both cherry pick all day long. But I have to respond:

1. I agree with the corruption of the gun licensing system. I had a concealed weapons permit in Westchester County took me 6 months for a restricted permit. Had I lived 2 miles north I would have gotten an unrestricted permit. It's up to the licensing authority in each county. If they can ban so-called "assault rifles" they can ban all guns. That is their goal. Cuomo stated before the passage of the "Safe Act" that "confiscation was indeed on the table". Now that they have been registered they will be next that was his original intention. Any bureaucrat can come up with any definition as to what constitutes an assault weapon. Any weapon can be used as an assault weapon.

2. As far as I'm concerned anyone convicted of a violent crime should never be let out of prison period. Anyone who intentionally murders an innocent person should be executed within 6 months not 25 years. Prison is for punishment not for rehabilitation. Or should they be colleges or vocational schools? If that's the case why bother with student loans. Just go out and commit a crime, get your education in prison. Hell we might as well turn them into resorts. Arizona has had private prisons before Brewer was elected. Cuomo is no prize either he had a cozy relationship with HUD. They also feel that they do not have to get building permits for their multi million dollar home. I suppose that Democrats never take money from lobbyists. By the way just because you do not agree with Obama does not make you a hater. I guess Democrats were all haters as they vehemently dis-agreed with Bush. No, Democrats like to use that terminology as it implies that just because you dis-agree with Obama somehow you are a racist. Democrats love to play the race card. They need it, they thrive on it, and they fan the flames of it. After all if there were no racism in America there would be no need for the Democratic Party. The ACA has been an abject failure.

3. People that are intent on killing others will use whatever means is available to them. Fact is O.J. Simpson did not use a firearm to slash the throats of his two victims, thousands of victims of domestic violence are killed by weapons other than guns. Whether it be box cutters to bring down airplanes. Fertilizer to bring down buildings. Pressure cookers, whatever. Ever hear of the "Happy Land" fire? People intent on killing others will find a way. Again violent people should never be allowed to roam free in our society. Punishing the innocent with "feel good" legislation will never accomplish anything but fear and resentment against those that advocate it. As far as bars go I guess it's okay to drive to a bar get plastered and then drive away. Which is worse someone who is sober and legally carrying a gun or a drunk driver? Most bars out here are posted "no firearms". The law mostly pertains to restaurants that serve alcohol, again you are not allowed to drink, not even one while carrying a firearm and the penalties for doing so are rather stiff. I have no problem with that. "Gun free zones" are killing zones, which are routinely ignored by those intent on committing mass murder.

4. Those that are coming in are for the most part are foreigners (illegal invaders) who will become dependent on New York's generous social welfare system. They go where their bread is being buttered. I used to live next to a house full of them in Peekskill, calling code enforcement about the over crowded conditions was a fruitless waste of time.

If Arizona is the isolationist extreme so be it, I hope it stays that way. I live here, and I love it here. I'm glad you have no intention of moving here. The people of Arizona love the way it is. As far as I'm concerned there is no middle ground either you are for something or against it. Every time we compromise we lose more freedom. Kind of like a proposed 20% tax increase both sides get together, compromise and you end up with a 10% tax increase. Next year they come back and propose the same thing getting the full 20% only they had to wait a year later. Man, you're keeping me busy, my fingers are getting sore. Gotta go!

It's your fault your fingers are sore! You go into a diatribe of your personal political views instead of just comparing AZ to NY (even though the OP asked about Brooklyn Heights vs LI). Seriously though, I own land in AZ. It's way off the grid. It is my underdeveloped Apocalypse land. I don't keep it for the "freedoms" of AZ. I keep it because there is absolutely nothing of interest to anyone (friend or foe) for 100's of miles. I will be sitting in my lawn chair w/ a bottle of H2O and my shotgun, shooing away rattlesnakes and interlopers. For the record, despite all your fears of "the man" in NY, I'll be doing exactly the same thing in Levittown if it comes to it!

Happy Friday.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 AM

7,466 posts, read 4,293,274 times
Marigold69:
Yeah, I know! Sometimes I can't help myself one thing leads to another. I'm glad you've got a sense of humor. Happy Friday to you. For me it's off to the gun store got my eyes on a nice .45. Although I have one no permit is required. The "man" in New York is no longer a threat.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,511,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroz View Post
hmm ...

This is a lie and NRA propaganda ...

Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And please do not list NH as an example --- I feel that there is a huge difference between NY and NH other than gun laws ...
NRA propaganda? really? when someone stabs someone, do you blame the knife or the individual? when someone dies as a result of a DUI vehicle accident, do you blame the car or the individual? when someone bludgeons someone to death with a baseball bat, do you blame the bat or the individual?

Incidentally, when citing statistics, I believe an actual gov't site would probably support your assertion a little better: (scroll half way down the page):

Violence-Related Firearm Deaths Among Residents of Metropolitan Areas and Cities --- United States, 2006--2007

Take note of the gun death rates rates in NYC, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Newark, DC .... all cities/districts with some of the strictest gun laws in the country. These documented facts are not up for debate.

Lastly, I said "some of the places with the strictest gun laws have the most gun violence". I didn't say ONLY. One word can change the context of the entire sentence.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:44 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,512,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
NRA propaganda? really? when someone stabs someone, do you blame the knife or the individual? when someone dies as a result of a DUI vehicle accident, do you blame the car or the individual? when someone bludgeons someone to death with a baseball bat, do you blame the bat or the individual?

Incidentally, when citing statistics, I believe an actual gov't site would probably support your assertion a little better: (scroll half way down the page):

Violence-Related Firearm Deaths Among Residents of Metropolitan Areas and Cities --- United States, 2006--2007

Take note of the gun death rates rates in NYC, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Newark, DC .... all cities/districts with some of the strictest gun laws in the country. These documented facts are not up for debate.

Lastly, I said "some of the places with the strictest gun laws have the most gun violence". I didn't say ONLY. One word can change the context of the entire sentence.

All of those comical "analogies" you give us are examples of items and activities that have substantial non-life threatening uses and objectives in society - which is why the already exist in society. Unlike, say, guns. Or grenades. Designed to kill. Put your NRA-spectacles down and realize that the majority of Americans, ie not "the Government", not "THEM", want sensible, rational limits on weapon ownership.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,044,528 times
The majority of Americans? If the majority wanted any more gun control every democratic dope in Congress would be tripping over themselves to introduce a bill.

Even the Dems realize that real Americans fully support the 2nd Amendment

Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,511,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
All of those comical "analogies" you give us are examples of items and activities that have substantial non-life threatening uses and objectives in society - which is why the already exist in society. Unlike, say, guns. Or grenades. Designed to kill. Put your NRA-spectacles down and realize that the majority of Americans, ie not "the Government", not "THEM", want sensible, rational limits on weapon ownership.
so does target practice.

I don't belong to the NRA, not that it's any of your business. Yet another defense mechanism of someone incapable of putting their own thoughts together. NRA, NRA, NRA. You sounds like a parrot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island