Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:52 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Where is the data that any water in the distribution system was ever found to exceed standards for contamination? Where is the information that any of the contaminants were found in the aquifer?
A look back at Grumman contamination on Long Island - Newsday

2012: "The following year, radium surfaces as a possible issue when the Bethpage Water District shuts down a drinking water well off Sophia Street, where it detected elevated levels of the element."

"That same year Hempstead Town sues the Navy, Northrop Grumman, operators of a former dry cleaner and others in federal court for a minimum of $50 million over groundwater contamination that forced the closure of water wells in Levittown."

"In 2017, elevated levels of radium are found in groundwater samples from shallow monitoring wells on the Bethpage High School campus."

"But a few years later, by the late 1940s, wells on Grumman property were tainted. Chromium contamination was discovered in groundwater south of Grumman site in 1949."

"Concerns about contamination continue, as several Grumman wells test positive for volatile organic chemicals. In the late 1970s, Grumman is hooked up to Bethpage Water district water because of contamination issues."

https://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/1990/4182/report.pdf

Pg 17 you'll see they found elevated inorganic inexplicable compounds in the Magothy aquifer and questionable chemicals in the Upper Glacial aquifer as far back as 1992 in the industrial area ie: Grumman/Bethpage.

There ya go.

As for Chromium contamination, that is the same thing Erin Brockovich movie was about in Cali. Seems they had little problem convincing a judge and jury that it was directly responsible for people's health issues. So that precedent is solidly set in law and Grumman and the Navy know it. That is why they are fighting tooth and nail. It is not because it's a libbie witch hunt. It's cause we pay beaucoup taxes to live on top of a govt sanctioned poisoned well we need to drink from and these clowns lie about what really happened to avoid responsibility for fixing it.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 08-02-2017 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 AM

983 posts, read 725,277 times
Why are you focused just on drinking water?

If radioactive material was used in the area, and there's radioactivity still today, it doesn't need water to get to your body.

Science frequently says "more research is needed". This seems to be the case.
A person living in a possible radioactive area would choose to wait there for tests to be done?
I don't think so.

Science is great, but slow when there's nobody profiting.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
You are correct that I am looking for a documented link. I also would have no problem living above the plume with the information we have today; no one is pumping water from the plume into anyone's kitchen sink. No one is even watering their lawn with it. How is it that you are convinced those chemicals are coming into contact, internally or externally, with anyone in the area? We have all seen people die from all manners of sickness and disease which proves absolutely nothing pertinent to this discussion. It seems as if you are not "taking it on faith" but on fear.
Yeah, call me crazy but I fear poison in the water...but that's just me!

Old 08-02-2017, 08:55 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Even from a resale standpoint it doesn't make sense.
Toxic presence or proof aside, the above alone should keep people away from buying there. There are other towns similar to it without the threat, rumors, and whisperings. If you have a choice right now, why would you purposely go there?

Old 08-02-2017, 01:27 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
A look back at Grumman contamination on Long Island - Newsday

2012: "The following year, radium surfaces as a possible issue when the Bethpage Water District shuts down a drinking water well off Sophia Street, where it detected elevated levels of the element."

"That same year Hempstead Town sues the Navy, Northrop Grumman, operators of a former dry cleaner and others in federal court for a minimum of $50 million over groundwater contamination that forced the closure of water wells in Levittown."

"In 2017, elevated levels of radium are found in groundwater samples from shallow monitoring wells on the Bethpage High School campus."

"But a few years later, by the late 1940s, wells on Grumman property were tainted. Chromium contamination was discovered in groundwater south of Grumman site in 1949."

"Concerns about contamination continue, as several Grumman wells test positive for volatile organic chemicals. In the late 1970s, Grumman is hooked up to Bethpage Water district water because of contamination issues."

https://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/1990/4182/report.pdf

Pg 17 you'll see they found elevated inorganic inexplicable compounds in the Magothy aquifer and questionable chemicals in the Upper Glacial aquifer as far back as 1992 in the industrial area ie: Grumman/Bethpage.

There ya go.

As for Chromium contamination, that is the same thing Erin Brockovich movie was about in Cali. Seems they had little problem convincing a judge and jury that it was directly responsible for people's health issues. So that precedent is solidly set in law and Grumman and the Navy know it. That is why they are fighting tooth and nail. It is not because it's a libbie witch hunt. It's cause we pay beaucoup taxes to live on top of a govt sanctioned poisoned well we need to drink from and these clowns lie about what really happened to avoid responsibility for fixing it.
In each of your scenarios it is confirmed the wells were shut down rather than allow the tainted water into the distribution system. Your final paragraph is a perfect example of how someone takes irrelevant information and conflates it to fit an entirely different situation.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:54 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
I wouldn't live there or any of those towns south of the direction that plume is traveling. But hey that's just me.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:18 PM

307 posts, read 637,383 times
Is Bethpage so desirable that this plume has no impact on home values?

This is a serious question- I am not familiar with the area. The housing inventory generally looks like splits, raised ranches and capes. Very similar to many south shore villages. So I'm curious what the draw is.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:15 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post

This is a serious question- I am not familiar with the area. The housing inventory generally looks like splits, raised ranches and capes. Very similar to many south shore villages. So I'm curious what the draw is.
The school district.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
In each of your scenarios it is confirmed the wells were shut down rather than allow the tainted water into the distribution system. Your final paragraph is a perfect example of how someone takes irrelevant information and conflates it to fit an entirely different situation.
And your reply explains how one can waste one's time posting links and evidence and someone with a closed minded , contrarian slant can just mis-read them (or NOT read, since Chromium was clearly discussed in the article) and discount them cause they feel like. The wells were shut AFTER the tainted water was discovered...ie PEOPLE WERE DRINKING IT FOR YEARS. Oy vay.

The articles I posted directly answered your questions. You don't have to like it or agree.

Frankly, I don't care either way. Just one more LI'ism we have our head in the sand about.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post

School district, location, decent homes under $500k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island