Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM

196 posts, read 416,785 times

Advertisements

I can only say I bought in Bethpage 10 years ago, and loved it there. The area is great and a nice central location. We sold the house and didn't have any problems selling. One person had an offer they withdrew because Newsday had a front page article about it the next day but there were other offers a plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 05:05 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post
I can only say I bought in Bethpage 10 years ago, and loved it there. The area is great and a nice central location. We sold the house and didn't have any problems selling. One person had an offer they withdrew because Newsday had a front page article about it the next day but there were other offers a plenty.
Curious why you sold

Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 AM

196 posts, read 416,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Curious why you sold
My wife and I both work in Nassau so we were able to look for more house/land for our money further east. We had a tiny 3BR ranch starter home on a slab on a 60x100, and upgraded to a perfect sized (for us), completely updated hi-ranch on a 1/2 acre with IG swimming pool, and nice big deck off the back.

School district was a bit of a concern too, as we were Plainedge where taxes are higher than the surrounding towns (very small amount of commercial tax revenue in that district) and I felt the high school wasn't up to snuff considering what we were paying. We moved to the Commack school district.

If you could take the house I have now and plunk it down in Bethpage, I probably would not have left. We do miss the connections we made there.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
Commack is great other than the distance out there. We looked and found houses with such large yards there was an IG swimming pool and room for 2 more. But the wife works in the city and the extra 15 minutes each way on the train adds up every day.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post
My wife and I both work in Nassau so we were able to look for more house/land for our money further east. We had a tiny 3BR ranch starter home on a slab on a 60x100, and upgraded to a perfect sized (for us), completely updated hi-ranch on a 1/2 acre with IG swimming pool, and nice big deck off the back.

School district was a bit of a concern too, as we were Plainedge where taxes are higher than the surrounding towns (very small amount of commercial tax revenue in that district) and I felt the high school wasn't up to snuff considering what we were paying. We moved to the Commack school district.

If you could take the house I have now and plunk it down in Bethpage, I probably would not have left. We do miss the connections we made there.
Good to know. I was confused as to why you sold b/c you said you like Bethpage so much. I work in the city so we are stuck in Nassau.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 PM

29 posts, read 32,036 times
I'm cunfused by the map- The high school is right on top of it but caffrey ave right across the street is not? Can you filter the water coming into your house to prevent the toxins? Reason I am asking is I have family on caffrey ave.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:04 PM

592 posts, read 913,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty1970 View Post
I'm cunfused by the map- The high school is right on top of it but caffrey ave right across the street is not? Can you filter the water coming into your house to prevent the toxins? Reason I am asking is I have family on caffrey ave.
I could be wrong but the concern is not with the drinking water as the Water Department has shut the wells in the contaminated areas and is currently filtering the water from other wells. The concern is the soil and air contamination and their supposed effects on developing cancer.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
Long Islanders drink groundwater-- So the likelihood of contamination exists everywhere. However, Bethpage is aware of this and employ cutting edge filtration paid for by the US Navy. Testing continually to keep levels significantly lower than anywhere else. So in many measurable ways Bethpage is now a very safe place to live and drink the tap water.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,404,961 times
whole thing is a myth

Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,310 times
I moved to Bethpage about 10 years ago unawRe of any chemical plume. There were a lot of very upbeat stories in newspapers and on the internet boasting that Bethpage had tge best tasting water in the US! These stories were propaganda of course. I have cancer and many of my neighbors have cancer. I have never been a smoker or had any issues until a couple of years ago. And to the individual who posted a very skeptical almost sarcastic comments doubtting and dismissing the Bethpage chemical contamination plume, you should think about all of the victims who are dead now and suffered terribly all of the residents and former residents who are currently battling cancer. Your comments ring like a cracked bell in my ear and sound very misguided and uneducated and yes almost malicious, not to mention that you seem to get your jollies inflicting pain on those already suffering. You sir are a coward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island