U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

383 posts, read 198,661 times
Default Invasive vine growing in between fences/properties and damaging my fence

Another person's fence question reminded me of our situation, which I'm looking for some feedback on.

Our rear property line borders a school's property line. They have a chain link fence at their property line and a few inches away is our wooden fence. In between the fences and growing all over the chain link fence is a very thick, thorny, invasive vine. It's completely intertwined itself with the chain link fence and has grown so dense that it is pushing our wooden fence down into our property. I've trimmed the vine that falls on our side and have tried to trim in between the fences but it's very difficult to get back there as there are thorns EVERYWHERE.

I don't know what to do about our fence - we can't replace it, because the vine will just continue to cause damage. I can't tell where the root of this vine falls, but I'm assuming it's literally in between our fence and the school's. Can I ask the school to do anything to kill the vine so it stops growing on its fence?

This is such a weird situation, because it's not a typical "Talk to your neighbor" situation, but this vine is totally out of control. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

217 posts, read 63,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Another person's fence question reminded me of our situation, which I'm looking for some feedback on.

Our rear property line borders a school's property line. They have a chain link fence at their property line and a few inches away is our wooden fence. In between the fences and growing all over the chain link fence is a very thick, thorny, invasive vine. It's completely intertwined itself with the chain link fence and has grown so dense that it is pushing our wooden fence down into our property. I've trimmed the vine that falls on our side and have tried to trim in between the fences but it's very difficult to get back there as there are thorns EVERYWHERE.

I don't know what to do about our fence - we can't replace it, because the vine will just continue to cause damage. I can't tell where the root of this vine falls, but I'm assuming it's literally in between our fence and the school's. Can I ask the school to do anything to kill the vine so it stops growing on its fence?

This is such a weird situation, because it's not a typical "Talk to your neighbor" situation, but this vine is totally out of control. What would you do?

Call or write a polite letter to the facilities director of the district and explain the situation. Maybe they will at least have their guys try to trim it back. Be mellow and keep it friendly or they will get defensive and it could become a bigger hassle. The facilities guy might appreciate you keeping it from being a big deal and will try to help out if he can. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Status: "Tell me about Long Island, I'm serious" (set 1 day ago)

697 posts, read 603,522 times
Buy a case of bleach and start pouring

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

8,531 posts, read 9,121,996 times
Ammonia.actually

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Status: "Tell me about Long Island, I'm serious" (set 1 day ago)

697 posts, read 603,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ammonia.actually
I stand corrected!

At least I don't go running off saying that its a life lesson and you have a high school mentality

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

15 posts, read 2,479 times
Just spray it with Round Up and be done with it.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

217 posts, read 63,593 times
I'm sure the OP never thought of that. All good suggestions, unless you want a bunch of poison leeching under the fence into your own yard.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
I'm sure the OP never thought of that. All good suggestions, unless you want a bunch of poison leeching under the fence into your own yard.
Yeah, I wasn't fond of the idea of putting more chemicals into the ground to try to eradicate the vine. I was hoping to just at least get some help to trim it back so my fence could stand upright.

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't fond of the idea of putting more chemicals into the ground to try to eradicate the vine. I was hoping to just at least get some help to trim it back so my fence could stand upright.

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

15 posts, read 2,479 times
Enjoy your neighbor's invasive vine then. Decorate it for Christmas maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island