U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 AM

85 posts, read 320,729 times
Default LI Housing Prices esp in Port Washington

i just placed a bid on a house in PW and have been experiencing some remorse since i am still a little unsure about the area. plus, i am convinced that prices are going to drop some more. what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:24 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,625 times
I was worried you might feel that way.

Have you spent a lot of time there? Was the area you bid in by that street you asked about?

Are you wondering if you should retract the bid or is there money involved?

On the whole I really do think PW is a very desirable town that the values keep going up. Really almost every area in LI (and in other states for that matter) has one negative or another.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:11 AM
gs1

5 posts, read 12,060 times
Default Levittown.

Hi,

Will prices drop in Levittown area in coming months? Tomorrow, I putting an offer to the house(feeling very nervous) in Levittown area. House is priced for 499K on stephen street.

Thanks
gs1.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 PM

i totally agree with you that PW is a very desirable town and i personally think it's beautiful especially near the water. however, i do feel that prices are still dropping and LI as a whole has been overpriced. we looked at several properties in PW and there were a few that sparked interest, including one in salem, one near "president's area"(?), and a new contruction on preston... (definitely did not like the block and would be concerned about the resale value). we actually have an accepted offer on the salem property, but now i am wondering whether or not it is the right time to buy and whether that's the part of PW i want to live in. (especially since it might be in close proximity to a toxic waste area.) i am also concerned about the changing dynamics in the schools. the whole purpose of moving to li was so that we wouldn't have to send our children to private school. we've looked at other areas including syosset and jericho, but neither of those two towns had the charm PW had to offer. this forum has been very informative and i am glad that it exists. so any thoughts would be appreciated! just don't let me get any more infractions for swaying off the topic again! =)

Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
we actually have an accepted offer on the salem property, but now i am wondering whether or not it is the right time to buy and whether that's the part of PW i want to live in. (especially since it might be in close proximity to a toxic waste area.) i am also concerned about the changing dynamics in the schools. the whole purpose of moving to li was so that we wouldn't have to send our children to private school. we've looked at other areas including syosset and jericho, but neither of those two towns had the charm PW had to offer. this forum has been very informative and i am glad that it exists. so any thoughts would be appreciated! just don't let me get any more infractions for swaying off the topic again! =)

I have to tell you I love LOVE LOVE LOVE Salem. Yes I had a concern about the landfill but it is supposedly capped and under control. So that is simply a personal choice if you are ok with that. It does NOT NOT NOT affect the values in Salem. Many people know that living in LI, there are so many toxic and landfill sites simply b/c LI is not that large, that they most likely live near one. If you want to talk more about that, send me a DM.

I say Salem is a great way to go. Esp w/ the Salem Elementary school. Have you looked at www.greatschools.net ? You can search by address. I put in an address of a house over there that we bid on, a gorgeous center hall colonial on Alden lane. We got outbid by 60,000! And it went over asking, this was 5 years ago.

You can look at a LOT of things that will determine the appeal of a neighborhood.

South Salem http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/.../8235#students

Carrie Palmer MS http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/.../3303#students

Paul D. Schrieber http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/.../3308#students

These likely would be your schools if you buy in Salem. They look great to me, looking at scores, great schools ratings, and free lunch stats. Even read some parent reviews if there are any. Also I know from experience that free lunch stats show alot about a school and the stats are VERY low in every school.
Now go look at Manorhaven schools. http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/.../3307#students

Notice any differences between Salem and Manorhaven?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 12-21-2007 at 04:07 PM..

Old 12-22-2007, 06:41 AM

i too love salem, but i feel like we might be settling on this house b/c there isn't much movement on the market in terms of new listings. we're not in a hurry to move and aren't too worry about interest rates and stuff... just a little tired of looking.

funny you mentioned manorhaven... i actually accidentally drove through it the last time i was in port washington. i must say, it didn't seem too bad, but i guess i was expecting worse being from queens and all.

as for toxic waste dumps... we were looking at a house in syosset and was later informed that the area is not desirable b/c it is also close to a toxic area which of course, the realtor failed to mention!

Old 12-22-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
funny you mentioned manorhaven... i actually accidentally drove through it the last time i was in port washington. i must say, it didn't seem too bad, but i guess i was expecting worse being from queens and all.

as for toxic waste dumps... we were looking at a house in syosset and was later informed that the area is not desirable b/c it is also close to a toxic area which of course, the realtor failed to mention!

I agree. Coming from Queens, that is exactly what almost every Queens neighborhood looks like (Manorhaven). So that is my point. On here you will find many longtime Long Islanders who never had to deal with the Queens issues and now aren't happy that they do (crowding, illegal apts, diversity, etc).

So just remember it is all relative.

And the realtors aren't going to disclose toxic sites. You really have to do the reserach yourself. In Long Island, due to the sheer size of it, there are many toxic sites. From research I have done i hear that PW site is not half as toxic as the Syosset site, but who really knows?

Did you look at the links i posted?

Old 12-22-2007, 04:14 PM

i did look at the links posted. thanks.

manorhaven actually looks pretty decent compared to some parts of queens!

what's your opinion on plainview/old bethpage?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
i did look at the links posted. thanks.

manorhaven actually looks pretty decent compared to some parts of queens!

what's your opinion on plainview/old bethpage?
I agree. Manorhaven is better looking than many parts of Queens or Brooklyn. But I guess it is odd, and seems out of place in LI, "the suburbs".

I believe Plainview is less mixed, religion wise, whereas PW is more mixed re religion. So if this may be an issue for you, keep that in mind.

I do like parts of Plainview, and I do believe the schools are really good. I don't know too much about it. We briefly considered it and then disregarded it. Just felt it didn't have any special vibe, no little town area, etc. We drove around and there are areas that are very hasidic and that was not something we were interested in.

But I do think it is a great area to buy a home. I wish I could say more, I just don't know too much more.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 AM

i agree... plainview doesn't have that "charm" port washington has. i honestly don't know much about plainview either... just came across the area when looking in syosset. i figured it must be a decent town since it's surrounded by very nice neighboring towns. i was not aware that plainview had areas that were very hasidic... i'm glad you pointed that out.... not that it's an issue, but i would prefer more diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island