Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

The Superfund sites are over on the east side of Bethpage State Park, near OBVR on the way to Melville. If your intended purchase is north of Grumman and west of Round Swamp (south of Spagnoli) or north of Spagnoli, you shouldn't be impacted by the Superfund sites. They're off Winding and east of OBVR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Everything doesn't cause cancer. Toxic chemicals however, do.
It's an expression.

But, they are saying artificial sweeteners, cell phones etc etc can be linked to it now.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You said people "swear it exists" which implies you don't believe it even exists.

MHO common sense should dictate you don't buy a house over or downstream from a plume...but that's just me.
People swear it exists - meaning the effects. I'm not denying there's a plume but there are no solid evidence that links the plume to cancer rates in that area. Maybe the cancer was caused by other factors.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
I'd rather lose money and pull out of the binding contract for this home than risk getting a cancer diagnosis in 5/10/15/20 years..But thats just me. The plume is real. I wouldn't feel comfortable living anywhere near it - regardless of whether its location is only 5 or 10 miles north/south/east or west of me!

Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
If I'm making the biggest purchase of my life and intend to raise a family, the last person I want to hear an opinion from is a silly girl who has no clue what having kids means. I say this again for the OP who may not understand the posting history of people here.

Some people should just stick to Condo and LIRR discussions - leave the family discussions to others who actually know.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If I'm making the biggest purchase of my life and intend to raise a family, the last person I want to hear an opinion from is a silly girl who has no clue what having kids means. I say this again for the OP who may not understand the posting history of people here.

Some people should just stick to Condo and LIRR discussions - leave the family discussions to others who actually know.
Show me the proof that the plume is linked to cancer rates. There's no proof just speculation.

There are a boatload of ppl living in that area. I think if people were really that concerned these areas of LI would have much smaller populations.

Just bc my opinions differ from others or from yours, doesnt make me silly or dumb or anything of the sort. I did not advise the OP to move there, I just simply stated my opinion.

Also just bc I dont have kids of my own, doesnt mean I havent helped raise one.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM

37 posts, read 98,942 times
Once again thank you all for your opinions! OBH I'm sad just thinking about your devastating loss! I'm very sorry! I would lose about 25k which is a lot of money but it could be worse! Yes the house is south of spagnoli & both of the plume however, I think my guy is telling me to back away, just MOH. I'm afraid I hve children & history of cancer in my family so for me I don't want to chance it even though I eat right, exercise, & don't smoke! I realize any of us could get cancer, I just don't want to "walk I to the fire knowingly!"

Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 AM

37 posts, read 98,942 times
It's south of spagnoli & north of the plume. I didn't mean my "guy" I meant my GUT lol

Old 08-15-2014, 10:02 AM

413 posts, read 598,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
People swear it exists - meaning the effects. I'm not denying there's a plume but there are no solid evidence that links the plume to cancer rates in that area. Maybe the cancer was caused by other factors.

There was no "proof" that air quality levels around ground zero were dangerous at first either...until the real facts came out when handfuls of 45 year old 1st responders and residents started disproportionately dropping like flies of lung cancers. Yes, no proof yet of issues with Bethpage (except the poisonous water which has presumably been fixed and the high toxic gas levels in the paltry few homes tested) and I like the area, but the "head in the sand" approach has been proven a bad one many times before. Glad if it works for you though.

Getting out of this JDawg vortex in 3...2...1...out.....

Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
There was no "proof" that air quality levels around ground zero were dangerous at first either...until the real facts came out when handfuls of 45 year old 1st responders and residents started disproportionately dropping like flies of lung cancers. Yes, no proof yet of issues with Bethpage (except the poisonous water which has presumably been fixed and the high toxic gas levels in the paltry few homes tested) and I like the area, but the "head in the sand" approach has been proven a bad one many times before. Glad if it works for you though.

Getting out of this JDawg vortex in 3...2...1...out.....
There's no proof those guys died of cancers related to work at ground zero. Come on. The gubmint said it was safe. I'm sure that was all a big coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island