Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:20 AM

958 posts, read 1,101,170 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn will be the Isles down fall.
Very few fans if any are going to risk going . Take a good look at the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 AM

5,285 posts, read 4,729,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Then why are they making a 13k seat arena?! Who will be the anchor tenant?!

There wont really be one. Ratner never said there would be an anchor tenant that would fill the arena to capacity. It will pretty much be a multi-use facility now for concerts, events etc., a minor league hockey team eventually and a handful of Islander games (those will all be sold out) played there per year.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post

Went to a preseason there last year. Awful Awful arena to watch hockey in. I don't think the immediate area around Barclays is an issue (just don't stray too many blocks from the arena). The issue is getting there sucks and takes forever. Its easier for me to get to MSG then it is to Barclays. If you are a Suffolk Islander fan its even worse. I think this is doomed to fail. But time will tell.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,617,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Went to a preseason there last year. Awful Awful arena to watch hockey in. I don't think the immediate area around Barclays is an issue (just don't stray too many blocks from the arena). The issue is getting there sucks and takes forever. Its easier for me to get to MSG then it is to Barclays. If you are a Suffolk Islander fan its even worse. I think this is doomed to fail. But time will tell.
While I haven't been to the Barclay Center, I have been to the Roulette Theater on Atlantic Ave, a few blocks from Barclays. When I looked it up on a map, I made a point of not venturing off Atlantic Ave as the Gowanus projects weren't that far away. The portion of Atlantic I was on wasn't gentrified Boerum Hill as it seemed to have more Middle Eastern shops than hipster hang outs.

With respect to seating at Barclays, there are a number of reports which indicate ice level seats in the ends have seriously impeded views.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:15 PM

4,695 posts, read 8,728,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
the area is fine. The arena sucks.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,216,240 times
The guy is a businessman. He doesn't care about the fans or the team and he damn sure doesn't give a damn about whether or not some people are butthurt about the move/sale.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM

413 posts, read 596,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
The guy is a businessman. He doesn't care about the fans or the team and he damn sure doesn't give a damn about whether or not some people are butthurt about the move/sale.

Pretty knee jerk clichéd point. The "businessman" took more "butthurt" doing backflips keeping the team on LI cause he lives here and wanted to be part of a turnaround, only to be just another long islander to feel the wrath of too many layers of hack govt ineptitude and nimby shortsightedness. If it was about profit he could have sold 10 years ago and every year since. Holy crap, I'm sick of defending Wang but too many on here seem to have little sense of the actual history of what went on from 2001-2014. The guy made every effort, including forking over his own dough to keep the Islanders on LI. The only thing he wouldn't do is build an arena out of pocket without a partner and the partner is a LI RE mogul who demanded lots of retail and entertainment. No one, including the taxpayers, had any interest in just developing an arena by itself. No one...except maybe Kate "I love the 1950's" Murray and Ed "I'll take anything I can get and don't have to pay for" Mangano.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
While I haven't been to the Barclay Center, I have been to the Roulette Theater on Atlantic Ave, a few blocks from Barclays. When I looked it up on a map, I made a point of not venturing off Atlantic Ave as the Gowanus projects weren't that far away. The portion of Atlantic I was on wasn't gentrified Boerum Hill as it seemed to have more Middle Eastern shops than hipster hang outs.

With respect to seating at Barclays, there are a number of reports which indicate ice level seats in the ends have seriously impeded views.

Its true. Barclay's was specifically designed with one sport in mind: Basketball. It was never meant to be a hockey or even a multi sport arena.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:43 PM

4,695 posts, read 8,728,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Its true. Barclay's was specifically designed with one sport in mind: Basketball. It was never meant to be a hockey or even a multi sport arena.
the original Gehry design did in fact allow for the arena to handle both ice hockey and basketball. Then Ratner started running out of money....

Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
the original Gehry design did in fact allow for the arena to handle both ice hockey and basketball. Then Ratner started running out of money....
Interesting, never knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island