Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,883,251 times

Advertisements

Ok, let's try to have a mature, intelligent and rational discussion on this topic.

Anybody who rides the Ronkonkoma Branch of the LIRR or drives through the area has noticed nice new apartments being built.

Do you think that:
- These buildings will succeed and end up revitalizing the local area by providing stable people access to reasonably-priced housing near the LIRR (and within commuting distance to the office parks near the LIE)?
Or
- It will fail and just end up becoming Section 8 and importing poor ppl from NYC making the area worse?

WHY?

My views are mostly optimistic, one reason is b/c I know the success of the apartment complexes near the Central Islip courthouse. But I still have mixed feelings about the wyandanch rising apartments.

http://www.albaneseorg.com/images/wyandanch/2.jpg

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 08-20-2014 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,221,224 times
The rents are going to be far higher than what Section 8 pays. The developer is not building this with the intent of it becoming a welfare building, believe me. This is a long term investment for market-rate tenants who will pay a premium for new construction (incredibly rare on Long Island) and close proximity to the LIRR.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:11 AM

715 posts, read 1,228,588 times
As someone who belongs to a group trying to encourage smart building like this on Long Island, I feel optimistic as well. Transit orientated development is something that should've been on LI a long time ago. I believe once LI starts building up around their train stations, more things like this can pop up and could lead to a less car orientated culture. I do think Wyandanch is in desperate need of revitalization and this step is a great start.

There will be a lottery of affordable housing units, so it looks like there will be a mix of both, but isn't that required by law? The deadline to apply for the lottery is August 29th: New Long Island Neighborhood | Stylish Apartments, Shops & Restaurants

Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 AM

19,576 posts, read 20,401,433 times
Disaster in the making.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
As someone who belongs to a group trying to encourage smart building like this on Long Island, I feel optimistic as well. Transit orientated development is something that should've been on LI a long time ago. I believe once LI starts building up around their train stations, more things like this can pop up and could lead to a less car orientated culture. I do think Wyandanch is in desperate need of revitalization and this step is a great start.
This is also happening at the Farmingdale station.

You are absolutely right, Long Island is about 15 years behind the times. Just about every area within walking distance of a train station should be rezoned to allow for this type of development. And given the population of Nassau and Suffolk County (and let's not forget Queens) and the 1% vacancy rate for rental housing, you cannot overbuild this. I would bet this project is fully leased within 3 to 6 months of the opening.

Let's drop the Section 8 discussion.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:23 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,104,326 times
Considering that Long Island is ever more becoming mainly a bedroom community for NYC, this can succeed. Can, but that's not a guarantee. These kind of apartments can appeal to young singles and couples or empty nesters who don't care about school districts.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Considering that Long Island is ever more becoming mainly a bedroom community for NYC, this can succeed. Can, but that's not a guarantee. These kind of apartments can appeal to young singles and couples or empty nesters who don't care about school districts.
And the vast majority of households do not have children ages 5 to 18, and could care less about the school district. That's why this should work.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,556,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I wonder who the 3 bedroom, 1,230 sq ft units would appeal to? That seems like an awful lot of space for a young couples or singles -- unless several are sharing an apartment.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,508,274 times
everyone scoffed when Patchogue went through a revitalization project. Now the laugh is on them. Main St. in Patchogue is a huge draw now - tons of great restaurants, entertainment options, and it looks GREAT!

Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,037,241 times
I guess it cant hurt Wyandanch but Long Island does not need apartment houses.

Want apartments...move to NYC.

Renters truly lower the quality of life on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island