U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2010, 10:01 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,831,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplacetocallhome View Post

Missing LI I'm in the same boat as you. I just Moved to FL from Nassau county 4 long months and are planing on moving back to LI at the end of the month. We put our house on sale(I know I never wanna come back to FL). We have a beautiful 4 bedroom home, nice weather, etc. The Jobs here a terrible little pay, no medical insurance and the jobs that I've found were 2hrs away it's just not worth it. My husband works in Construction and that just came to a complete halt. What make matters worse is FL is that there's no sense on community everyone is a transplant and are looking to get out. Half of the homes in my block are eighter empty, rented or have 4sale signs. Even the few folks that wanna stay (including my sister) have to leave, they just can't afford it. Schools are also a big issue, there overcroweded most of the teacher are young and unexperience. I know Orlando is going to be a great big city(better than NY) but I just don't wanna wait around 10years and wait for that to happen. My Kids need a good education now and not in 10yrs.
You sound like my sister. She moved to Florida to be near her daughter, son-in-law, and first grandchild, and she misses the Island terribly. She has the very same feelings about Florida that you do: crummy jobs, no sense of community. She adds that the job situation is even worse if you aren't bilingual and if you're over 40. She also said the racial tension there is awful--which surprised me because I think the racial tension on Long Island is awful. If it's worse there than here, forget it.

I'm sorry to hear the education there is so bad. My niece down there is a kindergarten teacher. She's 34, so not inexperienced, and very talented and good with the kids--when she was teaching up here the parents clamored to get their kids into her class.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,648,541 times
Default Every coin has a flip-side.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeltrapped View Post
Okay I lost the post somewhere in the thread @nbres I find alot of NC residents to be very snobbish. I find alot of friendships or making a friend are based on what you have/make/and do for a living. At times I feel so uncomfortable. Like I cannot be myself (meaning I am no millionaire but I have a home, support my family, and job)-but I will never changed (stubborn NYker) I miss the comfort of close friends in NY and MD. I do think that an area being diverse is a plus. I always research before making a move and I find that CNN Money Mag Top Places to Live has been very helpful. Cary NC was number 4 on there list at the time, it is a diverse community. The Steele Creek Charlotte area is an up and coming diverse area. I prefer my children to be raised in a diverse/safe community so they grow knowing how to deal with everyone. People need to understand that a community being diverse is not a negative or bad thing. The cost of living is supposedly cheaper in NC but I also find the clothing/supermarket/home improvement stores prices to be the same. You may find the prices on homes to be lower-taxes lower (always research the area) but the cost on essentials seems the same to me. NC does charge a tax for everything though-for instance that yearly tax on your auto.
Moving from Long Island to North Carolina is, in some ways, like moving from North America to Europe; it's just different. There's a different cadence to life down here for sure but that was obvious to me before moving my family. There are also social dynamics at play that deviate wildly from what I'd known back in the New York area.

But those are intangibles that are hard to identify and prepare for in advance, everything else was qualifiable if not quantifiable prior to moving and have held up well over the nearly three years we've been here. Consumer goods aren't cheaper and there are some nickel-and-dime taxes that pad the cost of living numbers a little bit but my over/under in annual non-discretionary spending is minus $20k annually when factoring in property taxes, auto insurance and utilities.

I miss the social network we left behind when we moved and doubt that will ever lessen but would never seriously consider moving back.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 AM

197 posts, read 266,667 times
Why the hell would anybody want to move back here ?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,579 times
actually, LI prices are not as ridiculous as they once were: they have dipped a bit, and over the years, other metro areas, have caught up with us.....property taxes are sort of high though, but at least offer a tax deduction against income....

LI is undergoing somewhat of a renaissance driven by revitalization of main streets: Patchogue, Bayshore, downtown Riverhead (Hyatt recently announced the construction of a hotel/conference center) , Port Jefferson and Northport. High energy costs and gas prices have people shopping, and eating and getting services nearby their homes again....in their downtowns....

Check western suffolk: Patchogue, Northport, Sayville, Oakdale, Setauket....
Nassau: RVC is still quite nice and well maintained, and near Manhattan....concentration of professional and business people that do commute into the city....

Good Luck....surprised to hear so many disillusioned North Carolinians.....years ago, I watched many people relo to Charlotte with an Insurance co ..... it seemed other than being locked into working for the sole insurance company home office in the city, people liked the lifestyle.....but that was many years ago....

Good luck....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island