Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,825 times

Advertisements

Dear Long Islanders,

Thank you in advance for reading. As the title states, my house hunting is really focused on providing an equitable education for my 5yo moderately autistic son. I have read through the numerous threads on special education on long island, but the suggestions can be conflicting because everyone's situation is different. So please let me tell you about my family and hopefully you can give me more detailed advice.

1. My son is currently enrolled in Blue Feather Elementary School, an ABA-based school, in a 8:1:2 classroom. He has significant delays and is not ready to be in a community school. I had to retain an attorney in order to fight NYC DOE for funding for Blue Feather (a private school) and in-home SEIT services.

2. I am honest about my son's ability, but I am also hopeful. So I am looking for a school district that would be accommodating in continuing the level of services that we are receiving now (ie.: paying for private school and outside related services). I am also looking for a district that is willing to incorporate my son back into the community school when he is ready. And not treat us like 2nd-class citizens.

3. I also have a 2yo neurotypical son, and while I have looked into Great Neck for its great schools, I am worried about competitive districts such as this, would not be suitable for my autistic child.

4. We would like to buy in Nassau, as close to Queens as possible. Being close to the LIRR is a plus too, since my husband work in uptown.

5. Our budget is around 850k for a single family house, 3 bedrooms.

If anyone has suggestion as to what district, which area, or which specific school, please post! TY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 AM

7,888 posts, read 9,083,435 times
Stay where you are. No district will welcome paying for a private school. Let your child continue in the school you fought so hard to get. Reevaluate the situation in the future when your child will require a less restrictive environment.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,462,006 times
I'm just interested in hearing the outcome of fighting for public funds going to private schools in a state like NY.

As far as your son, it sounds like he is going to need special schooling, instead of coming to an open forum I would suggest calling school districts in your perspective areas and discussing special education needs and what they offer.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:29 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,400,529 times
Good luck in your search -just stay out of our district. The budget for special ed is high enough.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:54 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,940,750 times
I believe some of the above comments are hurtful and totally unproductive for what this mom is trying to do which is obtain the best education possible for her children. They are guaranteed this by law, so your opinions have nothing to do with her questions. I was a volunteer for 35 years with disabled children and there but for the grace of God, it could have been you and I hope you would do the same for your child. Off the soapbox now.

On to the questions. My suggestion would be to go backward to back into where your home would be. Check out the schools on LI that specialize in autism. I know a few of them but would rather not comment as I have no idea of where your children would best be served. Google LI autism schools and you will have a few places to start.

Once you vett all the schools out then and find where you think you will best be served, then start looking for a home or at that point, you will at least have the area narrowed down a bit. I can tell you that you will have to have much patience and may even need to repeat the entire process you have already been through for the second child and no doubt the elder one will need to be reevaluated on LI. Here is a good resource for you.

Parenting a Child With Autism On Long Island: Resources - Lifestyle | Plainview, New York Patch

Much good luck.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 AM

19,056 posts, read 16,872,593 times
As you are realizing education reviews are as varied as the Autism Spectrum. You posted a sizeable amount that you are willing to pay for a home which gives you a lot of flexibility. If you could identify which communities appeal to you first then speak with the associated school districts directly you can see how they would accommodate your children's education needs. I am aware what the law requires for Special Education and finding a district that will continue "the level of services" that you sued to obtain may be unattainable. That said if you spent less on a home you could choose to pay for a private setting if you feel its better.

Good Luck in finding whats right for you.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 08-31-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-31-2014, 02:38 PM

7,888 posts, read 9,083,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I believe some of the above comments are hurtful and totally unproductive for what this mom is trying to do which is obtain the best education possible for her children. They are guaranteed this by law, so your opinions have nothing to do with her questions. I was a volunteer for 35 years with disabled children and there but for the grace of God, it could have been you and I hope you would do the same for your child. Off the soapbox now.

On to the questions. My suggestion would be to go backward to back into where your home would be. Check out the schools on LI that specialize in autism. I know a few of them but would rather not comment as I have no idea of where your children would best be served. Google LI autism schools and you will have a few places to start.

Once you vett all the schools out then and find where you think you will best be served, then start looking for a home or at that point, you will at least have the area narrowed down a bit. I can tell you that you will have to have much patience and may even need to repeat the entire process you have already been through for the second child and no doubt the elder one will need to be reevaluated on LI. Here is a good resource for you.

Parenting a Child With Autism On Long Island: Resources - Lifestyle | Plainview, New York Patch

Much good luck.
Nothing hateful about it. The OP was able to obtain an appropriate private school for their child, a feat that is hard to accomplish. Just because NYC DOE approved it doesn't mean a different school district will continue to pay for it.
If the school the child is in is working, why change it? Consistency is key for a child with autism.
If the child's needs change, then reevaluate the situation.
Where is the hate?

Last edited by NSHL10; 08-31-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 03:32 PM

7,792 posts, read 6,348,160 times
Is 'neurotypical' a fancy way of saying normal?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:34 PM

19,056 posts, read 16,872,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Is 'neurotypical' a fancy way of saying normal?
No, read the following Neurotypical?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,940,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Nothing hateful about it. The OP was able to obtain an appropriate private school for their child, a feat that is hard to accomplish. Just because NYC DOE approved it doesn't mean a different school district will continue to pay for it.
If the school the child is in is working, why change it? Consistency is key for a child with autism.
If the child's needs change, then reevaluate the situation.
Where is the hate?
The OP indicated a desire to move, it is not for me to tell her to stay where she, for that is her personal decision and therefore IMO none of my business. I also know that her fight to get a child educated is not uncommon either. Several family and close friends have been down this road.

Do I think the No Child Left Behind law was well thought out? Two answers, the spirit of the law was, however the implementation was not. I believe that every parent needs to do what ever they can on behalf of their kids, special ed, special needs, average, honors, it makes no difference.

Lastly, I said HURTFUL not HATEFUL. Not sure where you were reading, but there is a big difference between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island