Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM

71 posts, read 159,527 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have been prospecting some areas in LI where we intend to move, in the next few months. Jericho is one of the areas we like. We are interested in a newly constructed house south of Northern state Pkwy, which is just a couple of blocks from North Broadway. I may have read on this forum that that particular area is not safe and/or desirable part of Jericho. Can someone please tell me if that is (or not) the case? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM78 View Post
Hi, we have been prospecting some areas in LI where we intend to move, in the next few months. Jericho is one of the areas we like. We are interested in a newly constructed house south of Northern state Pkwy, which is just a couple of blocks from North Broadway. I may have read on this forum that that particular area is not safe and/or desirable part of Jericho. Can someone please tell me if that is (or not) the case? Thanks.
Complete ghetto. Make sure you get estimate for window bars if house doesn't already have them.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:17 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Do you mean the neighborhood behind Waldbaums or the other side of Broadway?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM

On the other side of Broadway, Burke Ave.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
There is no dangerous place in Jericho just rich vs not. South Jericho (South of the Northern State) has always been the working class section in Jericho. White Birch (the other side of the LIE) homes do not sell for as high as the homes in East/West Birchwood, although those were built a bit bigger. Now smaller homes in White Birch are being expanded and I would imagine the same holds true with the neighborhood you are looking in by Burke St., as the property values climb in Jericho that neighborhood will appreciate because it is the affordable way in. The apartments over there were probably the worst thing about the neighborhood. Not due to the people living there but because they were not very well maintained. People living in those apartments are willing to do so because they can send their kids to Jericho schools.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:14 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Looking at Google Maps Street view the homes all appear neat and well kept with many upgraded/enlarged. If this is what is considered a bad area then I probably can't afford what others consider a "good area". Good luck in your decision.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
It's a nice area, and convenient to shopping/restaurants/etc. It's definitely the less expensive part of Jericho, but it's like buying the less expensive BMW - it's still a flipping BMW.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 8,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM78 View Post
Don't listen to the people on here. It is a great area and if you are within the Jericho School District, all the better. Your kids will get a first-class education.

And the apartments are mostly filled with H1-B workers from India, not rowdy frat boys or drug dealers.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:01 PM
A&H

108 posts, read 456,347 times
AM78, I recently helped a friend of mine looking for a house in Jericho and like most others have commented the area you are looking at is not dangerous. As one have mentioned above it is rather a lessor (medium) income families neighborhood who want their children to have the best education in Jericho vs higher income families who can afford a premium neighborhood on the north. My suggestion to you is, if you concern enough to post here, is to look for a house with good bone within your budget at other areas of Jericho instead of the newly constructed house you are considering (assuming you are paying more since it's a new house). good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: