Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times

Advertisements

Currently there's only one house for sale in Manhasset for under $900,000 but it would be within walking distance to the train station.
Port Washington is a little more affordable and has more inventory but lot sizes are mostly small in the vicinity of the train station; plus of course it's further away from all highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
I'm not sure where you heard what you heard about RVC schools - they're consistently rated very highly, and are really well-regarded.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Currently there's only one house for sale in Manhasset for under $900,000 but it would be within walking distance to the train station.
Port Washington is a little more affordable and has more inventory but lot sizes are mostly small in the vicinity of the train station; plus of course it's further away from all highways.

that one is on dewey street, very close to train and you walk by starbucks on way. Dead end block of small older houses

Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckseiler View Post
Thanks for all the replies. On rvc I heard the schools are not good. Does anyone know otherwise? Also I need a quick commute to NYC as my hubby actually works in jersey. I am looking at pw and manhasset because of the short commute and schools and online I see many homes for sale under $800000. I don't mind high taxes as we pay them now in nj and also for to aye school pre k for now so want to move before kindergarten.

Does anyone know if I am totally off on housing prices in pw? We are coming from a condo with a tiny yard so a smallish house in the suburbs should be good for us. I only
did one drive by so far in pw and saw a lot of small homes near town. Is this a bad area? I want to be able to walk to town and train

Thanks again for your input

RVC is a quicker commute than Port Wash. Plus port wash can only come into Penn. RVC you can also do Atlantic Terminal if he wants to do Path from WTC.

Manhasset Bay Estates is Port Wash and walking distance to train and part of Port Wash closer to Manhasset

Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
There should be an FAQ sticky for stuff like this as it is enormously helpful to those not familiar with the area and town selections:

Long Island High School Rankings 2014

Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
BTW when looking at homes in RVC, make sure you check which School District - can be RVC, Oceanside or Baldwin.
There are Village taxes to pay as well.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
There should be an FAQ sticky for stuff like this as it is enormously helpful to those not familiar with the area and town selections:

Long Island High School Rankings 2014
That is a stupid list. All it does is rate the parents of students not the schools or even students themselves.

I went to the second highest rated school on list and it sucks and still sucks. Terrible school and Terrible teachers and horrible students.

What it did have were pushy rich parents who hired tutors, paid for SAT pre-courses, did not allow kids to do part time or summer jobs so they could study more and bribed students with cars and spring breaks to keep grades up.

101.2 - Jericho HS (Jericho*) 90
98.4 - Great Neck South* (Great Neck) 91
98.3 - Manhasset High School (Manhasset*) 87
98.0 - Garden City HS (Garden City*) 89
97.2 - Cold Spring Harbor HS (CSH Central*) 87
96.7 - Syosset High School (Syosset*) 90
95.5 - Roslyn High School (Roslyn*) 86

Basically I just described all the schools.

Also some if not all of these schools game the system. Even when I graduated school the rich kids had folks taking SAT for them. Some dope on football team almost got a perfect SAT score while on Spring Break no less!!! All the teachers knew this was going on. Great Neck even pressure lower grade students to become mechanics or some BS job to get them to go to BOCES and get them from ruining their average scores.
Also the schools above are loaded with Asian and Jewish kids who love to study and have no outside life.

Also in my school every rich kids went to best college they got into no matter how expensive it was. In poor districts the kids might be getting into same colleges but have to turn them down cause dad cant afford it. I recall my school had the highest percentage of kids going to IVY league schools of any public school in hte USA when I graduated. Who knows plenty of schools in farm towns could be better but they cant afford to apply or pay to go or have folks write their applications essays and coach them like in the schools above.

Switch every kids in these top 7 schools to the bottom 7 schools and guess what we have a new list of top 7 schools.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
You're moving from NJ and going to make your DH commute back to NJ? Okaaaay. Well in that ca as I agree with previous poster who said avoid the PW line as it limits your options. Yes it can be great to have a line that only terminates in PW. But it Doesn't go through Jamaica so you are stuck if the trains are having issues.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckseiler View Post
Thanks for all the replies. On rvc I heard the schools are not good. Does anyone know otherwise? Also I need a quick commute to NYC as my hubby actually works in jersey. I am looking at pw and manhasset because of the short commute and schools and online I see many homes for sale under $800000. I don't mind high taxes as we pay them now in nj and also for to aye school pre k for now so want to move before kindergarten.

Does anyone know if I am totally off on housing prices in pw? We are coming from a condo with a tiny yard so a smallish house in the suburbs should be good for us. I only
did one drive by so far in pw and saw a lot of small homes near town. Is this a bad area? I want to be able to walk to town and train

Thanks again for your input
check out Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate to see what's on the market these days and for how much. They got maps and everything!

As for your husband, does HE know you're looking at LI? If he works in NJ, why not buy there?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:07 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
RVC is a quicker commute than Port Wash. Plus port wash can only come into Penn. RVC you can also do Atlantic Terminal if he wants to do Path from WTC.

Manhasset Bay Estates is Port Wash and walking distance to train and part of Port Wash closer to Manhasset
incorrect. They are essentially the same. In fact, you can get rush hour PW trains as short as 35 mins to Penn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island