U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:33 PM

7,839 posts, read 11,733,813 times
Question Three very prominent cases in the news on LI :

There were three extremely newsworthy (and no doubt future Law & Order episodes ) settled this week. Marty Tankleff being released from prison , the slave - holding couple being convicted & the man who shot the teenager in Miller Place also being convicted. I was just wondering what people thought about these cases. Do you think that there will be a second trial for Tankleff ? Will Mr. White serve time (and , no matter how you might feel , was I the only one put off by the cheesy behavior of the boy's parents ? Is that the way to act ? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 01:46 PM

3,503 posts, read 5,461,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
There were three extremely newsworthy (and no doubt future Law & Order episodes ) settled this week. Marty Tankleff being released from prison , the slave - holding couple being convicted & the man who shot the teenager in Miller Place also being convicted. I was just wondering what people thought about these cases. Do you think that there will be a second trial for Tankleff ? Will Mr. White serve time (and , no matter how you might feel , was I the only one put off by the cheesy behavior of the boy's parents ? Is that the way to act ? )
What do you mean by the boys parents? Maybe Im a little behind on the topic. How did they act?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,835,991 times
Quote:
was I the only one put off by the cheesy behavior of the boy's parents ? Is that the way to act ? )
What are you referring to?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:47 PM

13,411 posts, read 14,564,617 times
Quote:
Will Mr. White serve time (and , no matter how you might feel , was I the only one put off by the cheesy behavior of the boy's parents ? Is that the way to act ? )
I could understand if they had gone to dinner and then returned home. They took it a step further and went out to the bars until the wee hours to 'celebrate'. Tacky, tasteless and telling as to their son's upbringing.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:49 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,222,845 times
Default Recent cases

*I bet they re-try Tankleff.

*I have no idea what type of time the slavery couple is gonna get. There aren't many cases like this.

*I think John White did wrong and could have prevented the fatality. I don't know what the kid's parents get out of the conviction -- he's no less dead. They now have a better chance of suing White for all he's worth. White reminds me of Bernie Goetz. Niether one understood the privilege of using deadly force in self-defense.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:17 PM

13,411 posts, read 14,564,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
*I bet they re-try Tankleff.

*I have no idea what type of time the slavery couple is gonna get. There aren't many cases like this.

*I think John White did wrong and could have prevented the fatality. I don't know what the kid's parents get out of the conviction -- he's no less dead. They now have a better chance of suing White for all he's worth. White reminds me of Bernie Goetz. Niether one understood the privilege of using deadly force in self-defense.
Retrying Tankleff could open up a can of worms in Suffolk -- there was a lot of things swept under the rug by a crooked cop. "nuff said, stay tuned.

The Slavery case -- I am at a loss for words!

I agree with you 100% on the White case and appreciate your Bernie Goetz analogy.

Let me add that I believe the girl who was the cause of this whole mess (she falsely claimed to her friends that Aaron White threatened to rape her) should be held accountable for having a part in this. The parents who allowed underage drinking to occur at their home should also be held accountable. The dopey kids should never have jumped into their cars all pumped up on alcohol. Mr. White should have locked up the house and called the SCPD immediately when he felt there was any threat to his family or property. It's a series of poor decisions culminating in a fatal gunshot.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,835,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Let me add that I believe the girl who was the cause of this whole mess (she falsely claimed to her friends that Aaron White threatened to rape her) should be held accountable for having a part in this. The parents who allowed underage drinking to occur at their home should also be held accountable. The dopey kids should never have jumped into their cars all pumped up on alcohol. Mr. White should have locked up the house and called the SCPD immediately when he felt there was any threat to his family or property. It's a series of poor decisions culminating in a fatal gunshot.
I think you are spot on with this assessment. They are all the major events that led up to this horrible situation.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:57 AM

966 posts, read 1,053,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I think you are spot on with this assessment. They are all the major events that led up to this horrible situation.
I find it funny that Mr. White is being blamed, yet http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3880630 this guys is being praised.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 AM

4,167 posts, read 6,735,245 times
Marty Tankleff ; I am so happy that he will get another day.

The slave case ; what more can I say ; shouldnt happen in 2007.

The White case ; I think he should be punished for something, but not for what he got. In anyones case, if there was a gang of teens coming to fight with your son, wouldnt you want to protect your family and home. I can understand why he felt the way he did.
The vistims parents ; obviously drink is a huge part of their life. Yes, I drink, but not to extremes. And why was their 17 year old drinking, why did he have powerful cars also. A good meal out would have been fine, but not a booze up
dorothy

Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,026,581 times
Default Curious policing...

Quote:
...having to take much of what Newsday reports with a grain of salt I was surprised that the Tankleff case, with this huge glaring business relationship connection (his partner owed 500k right?) and that the same guy FAKED his death and fled to the other coast was never further investigated. Blew my mind. An innocent man would usually not got to such extremes. Using my Law and Order skills usually you follow either love (sex) or money for a motive. I was surprised they put it all on the son who seemed to be a typical teen. The level of violence alone would make me wonder how this skinny teen could have done it. I would be surprised it they re-tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island