Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 12:38 PM

25 posts, read 38,397 times

Advertisements

After looking at homes in certain areas of Nassau, we've become more and more dishearted at what we can get for our money. We're a late 20's professional couple that both work in NYC - so we never really considered Suffolk at first. We then realized that as long as we're a straight shot to a decent station like Huntongton, the commute can be bearable.

Then we just set some parameters on Zillow just to see what would happen. 3 beds, 2 baths, $400k tops. Of course, plenty of homes came up on LI - but it's hard to find that in a good school district.

Lo and behold, we see several hits come up in E. Northport and Greenlawn. Some really really great options. I was confused - I heard Northport was expensive. E. Northport is in the same district and Greenlawn seems to be in a district that's just as good.

So of course, I assume I'm missing something here. Nothing is too good to be true on Long Island.

I have a few questions:

1) East Northport: Some of the homes we've seen that are super affordable are pretty damn close to Northport Proper. Is there a major difference? Is it considered "ghetto" / second-rate in relation to Northport? In other words, will kids make fun of our kids for being in the cheaper section?

2) Greenlawn: Now I've done some research and read about the Poet Section, etc. What exactly does that mean? What's the general vibe of the area?

3) Between the two; which area is "better" / more desirable?: We want a sort of keep your lawn / go on a jog / wave to your neighbors type of place. We did notice a lot of apartments in each of the homes we've seen - is that an issue / illegal renters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:21 PM

196 posts, read 418,685 times
I find this a tad amusing as an E. Northport resident who would much rather be in the better performing Commack school district than the Northport district.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...gs-2014-a.html

Last year Northport only had 70% of its grads with an Advanced Regents diploma vs 88% in Commack.

Northport is desirable because it's close to the water and has a beautiful downtown. If you don't care about that as much, or don't mind a 10 minute drive to downtown Northport, E. Northport and Greenlawn (Harborfields school district) are great as well. You will tell just by going to open houses and other listings the type of area it is. I live on a beautiful, quiet, tree lined street in E. Northport (in the Commack school district...you have to look on the commack school site for the boundaries...it is south of Clay Pitts Road and a few blocks east of Larkfield) 1/2 acre property with no traffic. We go for bike rides with our son all the time through the neighborhood.

As to the apartment thing, I hadn't noticed it as an issue. We have one legal apartment in a house on our block. I would guess it's simply because there are NO apartment options in these areas other than in houses.

Last edited by breetai3; 09-15-2014 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 03:42 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
East Northport with Commack schools is going to be much higher in taxes, though. Yes, I know the whole LIPA thing could throw a wrench in that, but for now that's how it is. We're very close to the Smithtown border/KP schools and our taxes would be 4K higher per year if we were not in Huntington.

All East Northport/Northport kids go to the same high school. They split in the middle school, although there's some crossover. Norwood and Ocean elementary are just Northport..one of them(I think Bellerose?) has some crossover.

I've never heard anyone put down East Northport vs. Northport, but there are idiots everywhere.

It's a beautiful area. Take some time to drive around and walk around at different times of the day and night. Walking through the village was what sold me on the area. Really quaint with little ice cream shops and the harbor, and everyone walking their dogs. There are some nice celebrations there for holidays too - Halloween, Christmas tree ligting, Easter bunny visits, etc. Great area for kids.

We're happy with the schools so far. My son is in middle school and thriving. Great music program throughout.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:12 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
I am pretty sure the Poet section is Elwood schools and not HF? With that being said I think you could find something in your price range in Greenlawn in either district. I am in Greenlawn in Harborfields and I love my neighbors. Both districts currently have 1/2 day K by the way. Npt/E Not does too.

Did you see something you liked in the Poet section?

Just some things to consider-- do you both work in the city? If so do you have to commute 5 days a week or can you work remotely at all? I'm not sure how people swing it with both parents working in the city when they have kids. The commute is OK from Greenlawn. Not sure I would go much farther out than the Huntington station. Just adds on time to the commute. Greenlawn is 5 minutes to Huntington LIRR.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I am pretty sure the Poet section is Elwood schools and not HF? .
You're correct!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
I'm not sure about all the prices except for one near us in Huntington, just south of the village that was listed at $359K I believe. Great neighborhoods near the village and just south for your price I would think. Smaller properties and relatively low taxes on those.

Schools in Huntington are very good in spite of the stupid rumors. Any low scores are more from the special ed and/or poverty end of the population. We always have kids getting into Ivies and great colleges, lots of scholarships gained, science awards and a newly opened STEM school now taking grades 3-6. A kid from a good family with an emphasis on getting a good education has many fantastic opportunities in the Huntington schools, not just academics and sports but in the fine arts as well. Parents are very involved in the district, board meetings are always informative and allow participation, just an overall nice atmosphere here.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 AM

25 posts, read 38,397 times
Thanks all for the responses... so if there was a "catch" to these areas, what would it be? Seeing a home on Long Island that is both nice, in a good school district, in a nice neighborhood, and with a do-able commute (out of huntington in this case) seems too good to be true.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Im pretty sure there are a few streets in the Poet's section that are Harborfields. OP can you post or DM a particular house you had in mind? What does the listing say (HF or Elwood)?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Im pretty sure there are a few streets in the Poet's section that are Harborfields. OP can you post or DM a particular house you had in mind? What does the listing say (HF or Elwood)?
Yes, there are a few streets in the Harborfields SD (for instance: Keats and Lowell); the bulk of the Poet Section however is in the Elwood SD.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
OK I wasn't sure where the dividing line was. There is a cute ranch on the market near me in Greenlawn but it is overpriced. There is also one on Clay Pitts that is $399 but I think not HF. Just looking at MLS and Oakwood or Frost are good locations. Personally don't love Gates or Boulevard bcs it is SO close to the train but if that doesn't bother you there are lots of small homes walking distance to downtown Greenlawn. I like that location just I am a very light sleeper so the train would ruin that for me.

Will keep an eye out when I go running if I see anything new with a sign out front!

I also have friends with kids in Huntington and South Huntington schools and they are happy with the schools. Huntington just went back to full day K. South Hunt is full day, too.

Last edited by redrunner+2; 09-17-2014 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island