Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 PM

77 posts, read 109,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Have you been to Binghamton? Because if you don't find that city depressing I can assure you, you will find SB to be heaven.
yes, about 3 yrs ago....all i remember was alot of trees, rainy weather and kinda ghetto.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 11:39 PM

77 posts, read 109,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchindHaughton View Post
A little late to the game, I know, but I attend Stony Brook and I would generally recommend it. Class sizes are large, but that doesn't always mean that the professor doesn't get to know students. Also, my experience has always been that you can do pretty well socially there, you just have to work for it and know where to look. Stony Brook has a large number of commuters, and they don't have as much incentive to make friends as residents do.

As for the area: it's not bad (not much crime, and it's not what I would call the middle of nowhere), but there isn't a hell of a lot to do within walking distance. There's a pretty good pizza place just off campus, as well as a Dunkin' Donuts and a few other shops/restaurants, and NYC is about 2 hours away by train. A lot of possibilities open up if you have a car though- Port Jeff and the Smith Haven Mall are both nearby, for instance. If you're lucky enough to get out of the meal plan, Stop & Shop and Pathmark are nearby, and there's also a ShopRite in Selden if you don't mind going a bit farther (ShopRite is the best of the three- great prices, and their perishables are decent too).
thanks for the info , wats your major?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,772,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballintrees View Post
yes, about 3 yrs ago....all i remember was alot of trees, rainy weather and kinda ghetto.....
Binghamton can be very dreary in winter. But you are there to study, not party or do touristy things. Campus life will keep you so busy that the weather becomes an after thought.In the fall and spring, the area around Binghamton can be pleasant. My friends and I would do small road trips to the PA border or up to Cornell (45 min drive to Ithaca I believe) to do nature-y stuff. The hardest part about college at SUNY Bing is the snowy winters..especially living off campus without a car and relying on the campus shuttle buses to get you around. Once you get a car, life is gravy..BTW I still miss Wegmans terribly!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,820,124 times
Another question - Does SBU credit courses taken in private universities (ex. Fordham) during the summer? For example, would it be possible to take Physics I or Calculus II Fordham then get credit in SBU?

Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 AM

11,582 posts, read 12,601,028 times
Usually, before a visiting student registers, they have to fill out some sort of form from thieir home school, asking for permission to get credit for a specific class at a specific college as a visiting student. Only a rep from SB can answer your question because it not only depends on the school, but also the course, in order to determine whether they will accept the school's credit. Also, some home schools will only designate P/F on the student transcript even if the summer visiting school provides an actual grade. This would be another question to ask the Stony Brook rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island