Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 01:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

This brings into question at which exact point the camera measured the speed, because if that driver dropped their speed from 33 to 29 MPH the minute the "School zone: Speed Camera Enforced Here" sign was spotted (and thats assuming the sign is even present or clearly visible!!!), that means the camera was calibrated to clock the driver at 33 when they were really going 29. Yet, if you are doing 29 MPH- you get a ticket, tough luck.

Unfortunately, we cannot trust them to be honest with how they set up the equipment and, if caught, they will just blame the contractor.

Example, Chicago:

How Chicago turned yellow lights into cash - Chicago Tribune
Quote:
In July, a 10-month Tribune investigation exposed suspicious spikes in tickets at dozens of red light cameras around the city that national experts said were likely the result of faulty equipment or human tinkering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You clearly have poor driving skills if you cant determine what speed you are travelling without looking at your speedometer.

Perhaps you should voluntarily turn in your driver's license. It's not a shame to do it at your age if you are incapable of safely operating a motor vehicle.
LMAO! I knew you'd pop up to take a swat at me!

Going 20 mph when not in very heavy traffic feels unnatural to me. It feels like I am walking my car. Eventually I hope to be an old hand at going so slow just like you are!

Old 10-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
LegalDiva Great Post! You captured the essence of what everyone is angry about.

I am amazed that people who support this don't seem to care that an out of state for profit company heavily lobbied local politicians in order to get a bill created and passed.
Do you really think our politicians came up with this on their own? And this same company is doing it again and have already got the bill created for school bus stop arm cameras. Do you think ATS cares about safety? Their goal is profit pure and simple and they wined and dined our pols to obtain their end result.

Because of lack of critical thinking and blind believing, is why we have the government we have, at all levels; local, state and federal.
You're right, since Arizona residents rebelled against the cameras years ago, the company is branching out elsewhere:

Report: AZ residents revolting against speed cameras, only 38% pay tickets - Autoblog

Quote:
After nearly two years with photo enforcement, motorists have begun covering the cameras with Post-it notes, boxes and even silly string. One man reportedly gave a camera a beat-down with a pick ax. A report by the Los Angeles Times claims that only 38 percent of fines have been paid thus far, and the revenue generated from big brother law enforcement is closer to $20 milllion rather than the expected $80 million per year. The report shows that an overwhelming number of ticketed drivers are looking to fight their fines in court, and in some cases the courts are reportedly booked up through 2011. A local judge has even sided with speed camera haters. John Keegan, a judge for the Arrowhead Justice Court, has thrown out all 7,000 violations that he has presided over, saying that the cameras were a violation to constitutional rights.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
I personally don't have a problem with speed cameras. If you speed, you're breaking the law... end of story.

Solution = Stop speeding

I have even less issue with red light cameras. The number of people I see speed up just to blow a "barely red" light is staggering. Some will even blatantly just go through it quite a few seconds AFTER the light turns red. Definitely more maddening than speeders in general.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 PM

115 posts, read 134,004 times
Default Florida Appellate Court rules cameras unconsitutional

The whole process violates procedural and substantive due process and without any authority whatsoever. In addition, the enabling legislation signed by the NYS Governor does not permit any driver responsibility fee to be taxed as an add-on. One by one - State by State - the Judges are doing the right thing and ordering them removed - and the class action lawsuits that follow are going to destroy municipal budgets. Mangano should do the smart thing here and cut his losses - remove these cameras now before we have another fiasco like the asset forfeiture mess that cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars for an unconstitutional system and the small claims tax assessment judgments that still aren't timely getting paid.

Red light camera lawsuit filed on behalf of Fla. drivers | News - Home

Florida Challenges Red Light Camera Tickets as Unconstitutional

And if you're on facebook - join this group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NOSPEEDCAMERAS/

Old 11-25-2014, 06:29 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
what ever happened to the class action suit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island