Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
When you get a ticket for driving 27 MPH in a 20 MPH zone, then come back here and tell us how you feel. While studies have come out proving that the chances of a fatality increase for drivers hitting a person at say, 40 MPH vs. 30 - I do not see how going 30 MPH will actually cause as serious a fatality or injury as a car going only 20 MPH. Then there is the issue that violations are being issued for people who are going only 5 or 8 MPH above the limit. It is a complete lie that there is an 8 or 10 MPH "grace" cushion before violators get a ticket. The County is hoping people who are erroneusly issued tickets for going 9 MPH over the limit will not want to waste time by taking a day off from work/school to fight the ticket in court.

What do you mean that the 'grace' cushion is a lie? It's written in the statute. Are you saying the County is just disregarding the statute as written and issuing tickets anyway?

NY VTL Sec. 1180-c(b):

Quote:

(b) If the counties of Nassau and Suffolk establish a demonstration program pursuant to subdivision (a) of this section, the owner of a vehicle shall be liable for a penalty imposed pursuant to this section if such vehicle was used or operated with the permission of the owner, express or implied, within a school speed zone in violation of subdivision (c) of section eleven hundred eighty of this article or during the times authorized pursuant to subdivision (a) of this section in violation of subdivision (b), (d), (f) or (g) of section eleven hundred eighty of this article, such vehicle was traveling at a speed of more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit in effect within such school speed zone, and such violation is evidenced by information obtained from a photo speed violation monitoring system; provided however that no owner of a vehicle shall be liable for a penalty imposed pursuant to this section where the operator of such vehicle has been convicted of the underlying violation of subdivision (b), (c), (d), (f) or (g) of section eleven hundred eighty of this article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
What do you mean that the 'grace' cushion is a lie? It's written in the statute. Are you saying the County is just disregarding the statute as written and issuing tickets anyway?

NY VTL Sec. 1180-c(b):
Thats exactly what I am saying as I have been reading news stories from people who are being ticketed for being only 5 or 8 miles above the limit when those tickets should not have been issued at all. This brings into question at which exact point the camera measured the speed, because if that driver dropped their speed from 33 to 29 MPH the minute the "School zone: Speed Camera Enforced Here" sign was spotted (and thats assuming the sign is even present or clearly visible!!!), that means the camera was calibrated to clock the driver at 33 when they were really going 29. Yet, if you are doing 29 MPH- you get a ticket, tough luck. The County is hoping the violators will blindly pay the fee and not question the fact that the ticket was erroneously issued or because they were unaware of the cushion - so either the burden is on the person receiving the ticket to waste their time to fight it in court, or have to retain an attorney to fight it for them like a regular traffic/speeding ticket. These stories are already posted in the Facebook page as well.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
How do they know that they are only going 8 to 9 over the limit? Is this the same kind of speedometer that all the defendants in speeding cases claim, before the judge, isn't working properly? Amazing how many bad speedometers are out there?

Perhaps speeders should just OBEY the limit and not worry about how many miles above it that they can get away with.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Thats exactly what I am saying as I have been reading news stories from people who are being ticketed for being only 5 or 8 miles above the limit when those tickets should not have been issued at all. This brings into question at which exact point the camera measured the speed, because if that driver dropped their speed from 33 to 29 MPH the minute the "School zone: Speed Camera Enforced Here" sign was spotted (and thats assuming the sign is even present or clearly visible!!!), that means the camera was calibrated to clock the driver at 33 when they were really going 29. Yet, if you are doing 29 MPH- you get a ticket, tough luck. The County is hoping the violators will blindly pay the fee and not question the fact that the ticket was erroneously issued or because they were unaware of the cushion - so either the burden is on the person receiving the ticket to waste their time to fight it in court, or have to retain an attorney to fight it for them like a regular traffic/speeding ticket. These stories are already posted in the Facebook page as well.
The speed zone for the school I pass by most often (at least 2x's/day) is 20 mph, I actually do 20mph for the 100 yards or so and somehow, I haven't gotten one ticket. I must just be lucky.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:37 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,297,839 times
Still would like to know how many kids are getting stuck in school zones? Aren't we at least entitled to that answer?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
The speed zone for the school I pass by most often (at least 2x's/day) is 20 mph, I actually do 20mph for the 100 yards or so and somehow, I haven't gotten one ticket. I must just be lucky.
I'd say you are. How many seconds do you let your eyes rest on the spedometer the entire time at the cost of looking at other items on the road itself? Just being forced to stare at your own speed for the entire length of time you drive through the school zone is enough of a distraction that we weren't required to be aware of before. This works for the idiots who blow through stop signs/red lights, and cameras at 50+ MPH (who rightfullly deserve to get ticketed) but not the innocent driver who's cruising along at a reasonable 32 MPH and probably keeping pace with other local traffic only to get dinged because he was 12 miles over the limit. Ridiculous.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 10-15-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 12:46 PM

200 posts, read 379,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
How do they know that they are only going 8 to 9 over the limit? Is this the same kind of speedometer that all the defendants in speeding cases claim, before the judge, isn't working properly? Amazing how many bad speedometers are out there?

Perhaps speeders should just OBEY the limit and not worry about how many miles above it that they can get away with.
I suspect that most people are (or will) to avoid a $80 hit. So, what happens when there is a revenue shortfall again because people are obeying the law (as what happened with red light cameras)? What will they do, put speed cams on sidewalks? The 2015 budget was based on the projected revenue from the speed cameras.

Its the reason why Nassau County has said (check newsday article) they will no longer publish where the cameras are. Which tells you right there, its a gotcha program and nothing to do with safety.

The outrage is over the deception and the fact that it is taxation without representation and not over people feeling that they are entitled to breaking the law. Perhaps if they had come right out and said we need money so we are putting in these cameras instead of saying, its for children's safety, people would not have been so upset. Better yet, if they had put it to a vote saying that we need to cover the budget gap, then at least we would have felt like we still have a representative government.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Still would like to know how many kids are getting stuck in school zones? Aren't we at least entitled to that answer?
I would like to know too but the only memo I could find online with info was this document:
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...hool-Zones.pdf

According to that memo, it was 14 people who were hit. It doesnt even state whether those 14 were children or exactly how many feet they were from a school/school zone......(Also notice the date on the document is 10/8/14 which leads me to ask why this document doesnt include more information on this issue, or any links to prior memos which have more statistical data. To me it screams "oh people are asking for stats, lets just write something up fast to make em happy.")

[SIZE=3]Statistics from the Tri-State Transportation Campaign indicate a high risk of being struck by a vehicle within a quarter mile of a school in Nassau County. In 2012 alone, among the 37 pedestrians killed on Nassau County’s streets, 14 were hit within a quarter of a mile of school, accounting for nearly 40 percent of total pedestrian fatalities countywide. Though not everyone killed in these areas were school-age children, such a high probability of pedestrian deaths occurring near schools raises concerns about potential traffic dangers for children. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 10-15-2014, 12:47 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
If you cant sense your speed without looking at the speedometer, you shouldn't be driving.

No excuse. Be patient...like I said, you don't drive a vehicle with flashing lights...you aren't important.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
I'd say you are. How many seconds do you let your eyes rest on the spedometer the entire time at the cost of looking at other items on the road itself? Just being forced to stare at your own speed for the entire length of time you drive through the school zone is enough of a distraction that we weren't required to be aware of before. This works for the idiots who blow through stop signs and cameras at 50 MPH (who should get ticketed) but not the innocent driver who's cruising along at a reasonable 32 MPH and probably keeping pace with other local traffic only to get dinged because he was 12 miles over the limit. Ridiculous.
Complaining about enforced slower speeds in school zones. Yup, ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island