Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:20 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,214,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
Well no CVS supporters showed up and it was standing room at meeting with planning board recommending denial of their rezoning of a RESIDENTIAL lot to a CVS. Way to go residents of St James! You can see the video of it here Meeting Calendar - Town of Smithtown,Smithtown NY under October 15th "video" The firestorm against CVS starts at 1 hr in. Seems trolls don't come out in real life.
Did you really think I'd waste my time to show up at a meeting for something I don't care about in a town I don't care about, just to voice my opinion to some random person on the internet that I don't care about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 05:31 PM

674 posts, read 1,150,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Cvs won't stop me from going to Spages. But thanks for the headsup.

Wish we got a heads up before that yumi spa came in. Tons of nail salons on the street already. When I see Spa that is Asian own, I'm afraid of those flushing places that offer special services. Now that would ruin a neighborhood.
Is there Happy Ending?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:44 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,949,286 times
Wheew.......Woodlawn and Lake doesn't need a CVS or any other commercial entity!

Old 10-17-2014, 06:35 AM

638 posts, read 1,276,897 times
Haven't read this thread in it's entirety, but originally coming from Northport, I like the non-commercial feel when driving through St. James. That is 'til I get to the 7-11 right in the middle.........

Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 AM

456 posts, read 1,424,786 times
Quote:
Well no CVS supporters showed up and it was standing room at meeting with planning board recommending denial of their rezoning of a RESIDENTIAL lot to a CVS. Way to go residents of St James! You can see the video of it here Meeting Calendar - Town of Smithtown,Smithtown NY under October 15th "video" The firestorm against CVS starts at 1 hr in. Seems trolls don't come out in real life.
Good news. Doesn't mean this is over yet and residents need to stay organized and on top of this. Starting with a denial recommendation is bad for CVS, but that denial is only a recommendation. Keep up the good fight, folks!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,418,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Good news. Doesn't mean this is over yet and residents need to stay organized and on top of this. Starting with a denial recommendation is bad for CVS, but that denial is only a recommendation. Keep up the good fight, folks!

Great you now are getting higher property taxes!!!!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM

519 posts, read 595,177 times
Quote:
I hate to come off as seeming Pro-CVS but, that meeting was a fail for St. James residents in my opinion.

I'm not crazy about corporations like CVS & Walgreens, however I believe in a free market. The reasoning St. James residents used came off to me as thuggery, extreme NIMBYism, strong-arming, anti-competition. (especially that 17-year old girl up there; who allowed her to go up to the podium? that was embarrassing!)

Their main reasoning is they already have a pharmacy called Spages (sp?). Moderator cut: language removed Does that mean if another pharmacy operator wanted to open shop in the area, they wouldn't be allowed either? Basically what most of them said was they know and like the people at Spages so that's why CVS shouldn't be allowed to open where there are 2 abandoned buildings and an empty lot. Others mentioned too much traffic in the area (after stating traffic already exists in the vicinity)

Good for you. Enjoy your super high taxes. I don't think most residents realize how much tax revenue that would bring in to your school district.

The way I vote out businesses is to not frequent them. If they weren't meant to be and the residents truly don't want them, they disappear from the area. I've seen it happen multiple times in just the last 2 years in my area.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-17-2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
Angry Its time for the 21st centery.

Its time the empty store fronts and antiquated buildings got a face lift in Saint James. It would be an uplift to see a real CVS or WALGREEN as well as a real fast food restaurant White castles, McDonnell, Taco-Bell, ect come to this town. I for one am tired of the numerous empty stores owned by the same person that does nothing for this town Except make it look run down & forgotten IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE ! Sure its quaint but quaint and forgotten is why nobody is coming here any more So far we lost a shoe maker, luncheonette , hobby shop, Deli, and what do they open an antique STORE with 3 empty stores next to it again by the same greedy owner ENOUGH !

Old 10-17-2014, 02:19 PM

80 posts, read 109,856 times
Instead of trying to keep cvs out if the town, why not enact some ordinances which would require the business to have signs and facades that conform to the character of the town? This is done all over the place in order to minimize the "strip mall" look.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:50 PM

755 posts, read 1,073,629 times
Can't blame the people on the block not to want 100 extra cars an hour going in and out during peak hours. Then semis driving around from 1am-6am making deliveries. Especially when hearing that lady said, with the small parking lot, the delivery trucks will need to be lining up to get their delivery done.

I learned a lot in watching some of that video. Thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island