Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:01 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times

Advertisements

With all the things going on I am truly getting sick of living on LI!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Bye!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:30 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Elaborate. Perhaps its not the place but you who seems to find trouble everywhere you move to. Florida stinks, south Carolina stinks and now LI? I agree though, LI isn't that great. To many freeloaders milking the system.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Elaborate. Perhaps its not the place but you who seems to find trouble everywhere you move to. Florida stinks, south Carolina stinks and now LI? I agree though, LI isn't that great. To many freeloaders milking the system.
The reasons for all those moves are personal..so guess you can take it for what it is. Cryptic. There are troubles no matter where we live but outside the taxes,illegals..there are so many more problems here.

Public Transportation stinks for those who NEED it. To each their own everyone has their own lifestyle,careers,health..I can go on & on if you want me to. We all know if things we held so dear were taken away we might be forced to move as well. If you have the perfect set-up keeping you here then good for you but don't pounce on the ones that end up in a situation that even though stuck it through will not get better....And to that I thank our gov't as a whole as well as many residents they know who they are. My situation is very different than many of you & I will not discuss that on public forum. Just like your lives are none of my business ....my life is none of yours!!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:00 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
The reasons for all those moves are personal..so guess you can take it for what it is. Cryptic. There are troubles no matter where we live but outside the taxes,illegals..there are so many more problems here.

Public Transportation stinks for those who NEED it. To each their own everyone has their own lifestyle,careers,health..I can go on & on if you want me to. We all know if things we held so dear were taken away we might be forced to move as well. If you have the perfect set-up keeping you here then good for you but don't pounce on the ones that end up in a situation that even though stuck it through will not get better....And to that I thank our gov't as a whole as well as many residents they know who they are. My situation is very different than many of you & I will not discuss that on public forum. Just like your lives are none of my business ....my life is none of yours!!
So, which is it?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:07 AM

?? What more do you want..I'd consider PM my problems but this still remains a public forum!

Basically I believe we all know LI has its problems.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 AM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Oh great, another LI stinks thread.

Yes, LI is dying, no doubt. Your politicians, from the town supervisors, like Petrone, right up to the governator Cuomo, are selling us all out. Between the land grabs, high-density housing developments, literally crumbling infrastucture, ridiculously high taxes, anti-business policies and a mass exodus of private business, your politicians are stealing from you and giving to the unions and special interests. And it's not going to stop obviously. I can't wait to see my 2015 property tax bill.

Last week, I read the population of LI has more than tripled since 1960. Funny thing is the infrastructure has not improved since maybe the 70's, yet we pay the HIGHEST taxes (all in) in the nation. And speaking of taxes, you never really own your home here, because typically your property tax bill is larger than your mortgage.

This is not the LI of my youth, that's for sure. Sure, things change, but LI has changed for the worse on almost every quality of life measure.

What more can I say? I know where this is leading and don't see any other solution. The best view of LI is in your rear-view mirror as you leave the island for the last time!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Oh great, another LI stinks thread.

Yes, LI is dying, no doubt. Your politicians, from the town supervisors, like Petrone, right up to the governator Cuomo, are selling us all out. Between the land grabs, high-density housing developments, literally crumbling infrastucture, ridiculously high taxes, anti-business policies and a mass exodus of private business, your politicians are stealing from you and giving to the unions and special interests. And it's not going to stop obviously. I can't wait to see my 2015 property tax bill.

Last week, I read the population of LI has more than tripled since 1960. Funny thing is the infrastructure has not improved since maybe the 70's, yet we pay the HIGHEST taxes (all in) in the nation. And speaking of taxes, you never really own your home here, because typically your property tax bill is larger than your mortgage.

This is not the LI of my youth, that's for sure. Sure, things change, but LI has changed for the worse on almost every quality of life measure.

What more can I say? I know where this is leading and don't see any other solution. The best view of LI is in your rear-view mirror as you leave the island for the last time!
I can't stand these threads...but had to make my statement anyhow.

You mentioned things that were not even on my radar at all. That says how much worse it is. Unless you are rich you can not afford to buy on LI...& I mean filthy rich. If not you are renting illegal apts. & just getting by. Not everyone is a doctor,dentist,lawyer..and so on! We want to live decently in a small home not a large one!! Even that on LI is out of most peoples reach unless you got in many years ago. The population is going up maybe because the illegals eventually become legal?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
So why stay here? There are plenty of threads from those that have "escaped" LI. Why not find out a better place to go, and go?

BTW, I know plenty of people that are not DR's, Lawyers or DDS and are also not renting illegal (or legal) apartments and are getting by just fine.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 AM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
No place is perfect... at least I don't think so. Let me know if you do find the perfect place.

But, no place has so many factors going against it as LI. And the kicker is, most of us pay a huge premium to be here. Truth be told, the schools are not great they are ok. I will admit, at least in my neck of the woods, crime is pretty low. But is this worth the cost of life here on LI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island