Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 PM

852 posts, read 968,339 times

Advertisements

John, any of us who have ever lived in NY are very familiar with mental illness- especially at high levels [Like Governor; Mayor; Police Commisioner; D.A..... )

Here's the thing: The only money that the gov't has is what it takes from others; and it is not really anyone else's responsibility to take care of you- unless of course they want to.

On a practical level, it would make more sense if they'd ditch the buses, and provide a car service for those who can't drive- and only them. It would only cost a fraction of what the buses do- and would provide much better service [I really feel sorry for anyone who HAS to rely on those stupid buses!]

But that's not going to happen.

Have you ever thought about moving to another area- No, I don't mean another town on LI or in the City- I mean like a small town somewhere?

For instance: My mother, before moving into a mobile home on my property, used to live in a two-story town-house-type apartment in a nearby town [Population 12K] for which she paid $350 a month [That was the full market rent- no section 8 or anything like that] and she could walk to the stores [even in her 80's!].

There are lots of places like that around the country. I didn't read your whole post, so forgive me if I missed something that is keeping you in that area...

But you know, sometimes you just have to do what is practical for yourself- I don't imagine things will get too much better for you anywhere on LI or NYC. Would it be possible for you to look for a place where you could be more self-sufficient? Where you wouldn't have to rely on buses, or walk long distances or in bad areas?

LI is a tough and crappy place to live, even if you have a good deal of money [I have a friend in Suffolk who's worth a few million- and he's in the process of leaving- he's disgusted; and gets nothing for his money, except raped by the tax man]

It sounds like you'd do good and be happy in a nice small town somewhere, where people are easy-going, and where most are living on $20K a year or less. I'm an old-fashioned guy too- and the kind of life I enjoy living, and the kind of people i enjoy being around, just don't exist on LI anymore. On LI, if you're not rich, they'll treat you like a crook; and if you are rich, they'll take everythinjg you've got. Can't win. -And for all the money that gets spent there- you'd think the streets would be paved with gold...but instead, you have to watch that you don't step in anything!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:28 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassRes View Post
I'm sorry John, it sucks having to be someplace where you are unhappy. I'm sure it doesn't help any mental issues you are currently facing. Why can't you move to Bellmore? Is this a group facility or an independent housing situation? I think if there is space they should absolutely try to accommodate you. You are not a second-class citizen because of your mental state. Your social worker should be your advocate. I hope you're feeling better, don't be so sad. Just keep researching and trying to find a way to your happiness
It is a very personal situation that I probably aired too much of here already. I think right now it's just best to cool off, let my mind settle, and decide on my next course of action by year's end. I just think mental illness is very misunderstood, heck if even just one person learned something from my posts I am still glad I talked about LI from my Point Of View.
These forums provide a wealth of knowledge, people's stories and opinions from all walks of life. Stuff you can never know just by visiting Long Island for a few days.
I have learned quite a few things here too.
I still stand by the fact Long Island isn't the place it used to be, but there are still good people here. No matter what changes occur, Long Island will always be my home. Even if I am not able to live here in the future. Even though places we enjoyed as kids (like Nunleys in Baldwin, Rachel's Cookies in Mid-Island Plaza, and all the other good stuff) are gone, their memories will always remain.
Of course I will always miss Wuv's, My Pie, those middle class neighborhoods, but I always have fond memories, I just wish I was into taking pictures when I was a kid!

Old 10-25-2014, 01:16 AM

159 posts, read 279,437 times
Wow, so is Bellmore now the new Muttontown?

Old 10-25-2014, 07:38 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
John - What do you do for a living? That the NYC region and America is a harsh place for the unemployed and working poor is common knowledge and has long been the case. LI is not the only place where this is true.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:44 AM

622 posts, read 852,463 times
OMG, what a whining post. You don't like where you live, it's just you and no kids, pick up and move. You have mental illness, get treatment, ask for help, meditate, or better handle it in some way. Yes, I've seen mental illness and know that severe forms can prevent one from getting help themselves, but you're well enough to pen these rambles.

Like Westbury, communities all over LI, heck, all over NYS, are changing. NYS is a sanctuary state and as such, we place ourselves in a position to offer homes to all of the recently arrived. There are states where the influx is managed differently, perhaps better. And it's a free country. Vote with your feet.

I don't see any of this changing and frankly, if I grow any more dispondent over the lack of quality of life here on LI, I feel moving won't help. We're on this earth for just a short time, why not try to enjoy it, even if only a little? Then, when I finally leave this hugely overpriced, overpopulated and overrated island, I can really enjoy life.

My respite comes on Election day. As small as it seems, I will not vote for any incumbents. I know the alternative candidates are not exactly heroes for the taxpayers' cause, but it may just send a message. And it's about all the control I can muster as I spend most of my wakeful hours earning $ to pay my ever-increasing, crushing property taxes.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:37 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
John - What do you do for a living? That the NYC region and America is a harsh place for the unemployed and working poor is common knowledge and has long been the case. LI is not the only place where this is true.
he doesn't do anything for a living, he is unable to work, apparently for 40 years or so. If he could somehow figure out how to get paid for complaining he would be loaded.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:57 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
What we have here is an articulate (whether you agree with him or not, he is articulate) educated person who would rather live off the public dole than work. There are MANY people who would qualify for disability who are working because living off DB doesn't give them the lifestyle they want. As the years have gone by there is less money for people who don't want to work, and now - having never worked - he is probably unemployable.

I used to work with a guy who had a debilitating mental illness. It was an obvious struggle for him to get through each day, and the company made a lot of accommodations for him. Would have been a lot easier for him to sit home and complain about where he lives but I don't think that would have sat well with him.

My best friend's mother was szichophrenic and managed to hold down jobs here and there. Now THAT is a serious mental illness and with little skills, she managed to hold down jobs for quite a few years.

This isn't just about mental illness, it's about a person's innate personality and what they want out of life and how they go about getting it.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:29 PM

852 posts, read 968,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There are MANY people who would qualify for disability who are working because living off DB doesn't give them the lifestyle they want.
...or because we have principles which won't allow it [Lifelong physical "disability" here...]

The guy who I hired to install my cesspool here- 69 years old, and was just returning to operating his backhoe, after two years recovering from nearly severing his leg when he flipped said backhoe. He said for the whole two years, all the "medical professionals" he dealt with were encouraging him to go on disability. He wouldn't do it. Sadly, he died two years later.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:56 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
Thread closed for mod review .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island