Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:04 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times

Advertisements

Well my kids have reached that age where it's time to think about the next phase. What I'm doing is letting them start at a 2 year school because in Virginia there is a guaranteed transfer policy with a 2.5 or higher gpa.

I'm also lucky cause I live 25 minutes from UVA, and an hour from Mary Washington in Fredericksburg and about the same amount of time to JMU in Harrisonburg so there will be no out of state fees and room and board dad is going to pay.

Back in my generation if you wanted to go to college you worked your way through it but back then prices were not what they are today. My training for mechanical was paid for via the U.S. Army and the GI Bill, my school cost me zero but again that was a different time then what the world is today.

Ironically enough UVA is part of the Magnolia 7, the southern version of Ivies, Duke is on the list as well.

Anyways for Va. Residents who live close by and don't have to cough up the room and board expense, it's actually a pretty good bargain for the money.

If my boys don't go to school for a technical degree in x-Ray technician or something similar, JMU is going to be the most affordable option it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 05:52 PM

89 posts, read 133,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Well my kids have reached that age where it's time to think about the next phase. What I'm doing is letting them start at a 2 year school because in Virginia there is a guaranteed transfer policy with a 2.5 or higher gpa.

I'm also lucky cause I live 25 minutes from UVA, and an hour from Mary Washington in Fredericksburg and about the same amount of time to JMU in Harrisonburg so there will be no out of state fees and room and board dad is going to pay.

Back in my generation if you wanted to go to college you worked your way through it but back then prices were not what they are today. My training for mechanical was paid for via the U.S. Army and the GI Bill, my school cost me zero but again that was a different time then what the world is today.

Ironically enough UVA is part of the Magnolia 7, the southern version of Ivies, Duke is on the list as well.

Anyways for Va. Residents who live close by and don't have to cough up the room and board expense, it's actually a pretty good bargain for the money.

If my boys don't go to school for a technical degree in x-Ray technician or something similar, JMU is going to be the most affordable option it seems.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure your kids will do great, it's good that your involved in their life and thinking of their future.

I went to school out of state but was lucky enough to be an Resident Assistant for 2/4 years of my undergrad, so I didn't get killed on rooming expenses. For the two years that I wasn't and Resident Assistant I worked as a waiter to pay the bills.

For graduate school though, I got hit pretty hard. It's tough to dedicate a lot of time to work when academia takes over so much time. I worked as a draftsman but only worked a few hours a week and had to rely more on my loan money.

Anyways, though I think New Urbanism is important for long island because alternative housing options will help give young professionals the ability to embrace the next stage of their life while investing locally.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:08 PM

Urbanism has to be careful not to force everyone out though. Nobody wants riffraff but a school teachers salary isn't going to be as high as a Wall Street guru but teachers are just as important, actually more important cause they teach our children.

So if you make something too expensive to where the school teachers, paramedics, police officers, and skilled tradesmen have to leave then I don't think its healthy. An electrician is not a criminal, it's a hardworking guy, he has a right to own a home in the neighborhood he grew up in as well.

To me this sounds more like elitism and less about trying to grow a community in a positive way.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:44 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandesign View Post
You are totally correct in saying it will be a radical change for the village but lets be honest...

We need to make a change some where. Long Island is dying. It is slowly going through a brain drain which is causing our youth to flee to cities and towns such as Astoria, Williamsburg, Portland, Seattle, Cambridge and Somerville.

No matter what we do, we need to make some big changes.. I for one, would rather see these changes happen near an existing dense location with existing mass transit infrastructure. Personally to me, it doesn't make sense to start knocking down suburban homes and adding 4 story condos/apartments. It does however, make sense to build upon the existing fabric of downtowns..

Yes parking, small businesses, and public amenities will need to be coordinated but it certainly can be done. If you are looking for examples check out some of the LEED Neighborhood communities, they are a great example of green design and new urbanism.
Hi longislandesign, I finally had the opportunity to check out some of the concepts underlying LEED Neighborhood communities & it was very enlightening! I looked at the Penobscot LEED community on Indian Island in ME for one here:

http://www.sustainablenativecommunit...LEED-Homes.pdf

Please forgive if this is not the appropriate sub-forum to pose my question, but can you point me to further information? Perhaps something that would be similar to what you have re-imagined for Long Island? Thanks & respect.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:23 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Urbanism has to be careful not to force everyone out though. Nobody wants riffraff but a school teachers salary isn't going to be as high as a Wall Street guru but teachers are just as important, actually more important cause they teach our children.

So if you make something too expensive to where the school teachers, paramedics, police officers, and skilled tradesmen have to leave then I don't think its healthy. An electrician is not a criminal, it's a hardworking guy, he has a right to own a home in the neighborhood he grew up in as well.

To me this sounds more like elitism and less about trying to grow a community in a positive way.
"skilled tradespeople" are a think of the past. Most contractors, painters, mechanics and folks like that usually were poor students, immigrants, party animals or not that bright. School teacher are just girls who did it to get summers off and cops well ego and bad grades gets you there.

Paramedics actually do a highly stressful job that is complicated and requires a pretty high IQ and get paid Peanuts.

Wall Street is actually doing the Lord's work. A direct quote from the CEO of Goldman Sachs.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 AM
cml

180 posts, read 290,410 times
Urbanism can be a good thing or a bad thing what would help Long Island and the economy maybe is more reliable public transportation opinions, make towns more walkable, and maybe build that supposed bridge across the sound that would really benefit Long Island and CT too

Old 11-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
"skilled tradespeople" are a think of the past. Most contractors, painters, mechanics and folks like that usually were poor students, immigrants, party animals or not that bright. School teacher are just girls who did it to get summers off and cops well ego and bad grades gets you there.

Paramedics actually do a highly stressful job that is complicated and requires a pretty high IQ and get paid Peanuts.

Wall Street is actually doing the Lord's work. A direct quote from the CEO of Goldman Sachs.
Morales on Wall Street? Doubt it. The lords work, that's the funniest thing I heard all day. And just for FYI the mechanical trades require schooling and training as well. If mechanics and construction were for stupid people colleges would have degrees in construction management, automotive design, agriculture and farming, engineering, all require mechanical aptitude, and schools offer degrees in these fields.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:07 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Morales on Wall Street? Doubt it. The lords work, that's the funniest thing I heard all day. And just for FYI the mechanical trades require schooling and training as well. If mechanics and construction were for stupid people colleges would have degrees in construction management, automotive design, agriculture and farming, engineering, all require mechanical aptitude, and schools offer degrees in these fields.
I do believe that SandyJet was being sarcastic regarding the comment on Wall Street morality.

Community Colleges do offer associates degrees in construction and automotive mechanics. There are bachelor degrees, master degrees and doctorate degrees in agriculture, farming, and livestock management from some very prestiigious schools such as Cornell and Texas A&M. These days, most farmers do attend college to study agriculture and livestock. In fact, livestock studies are broken down into different areas, such as poultry vs. cattle raising. It's become quite a science. Engineering is most defintely studied in college at the undergraduate, master's and PhD levels. Automotive designis studied with an engineering degree, for those that want to work for a automotive manufacturer.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There are bachelor degrees, master degrees and doctorate degrees in agriculture, farming, and livestock management from some very prestiigious schools such as Cornell and Texas A&M.
I believe Cornell's agriculture studies is partially funded by the state - precisely to account for lack of interest.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I believe Cornell's agriculture studies is partially funded by the state - precisely to account for lack of interest.
The ag college at Cornell is a SUNY school, which is why it receives NYS funding.
NYS College of Agriculture & Life Sciences - SUNY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island