Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 AM

13 posts, read 13,163 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any public records that provide information on what Special Ed classes are offered at each school within a School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:55 PM

570 posts, read 1,212,496 times
There are no public records for information like that. You'd have to call the district's Special Ed Director (or whatever title they give that person) and ask them, assuming you are a resident of the district, they shouldn't have any qualms about telling you. If you're not a resident but are planning on moving into it, maybe go to meet this person and bring your child's IEP to help them determine if their needs can be met in any one building vs another.

Classes offered in individual buildings may change from time to time depending on what disabilities the special ed kids have who go there and what their IEP's are.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:08 AM

Thanks so much for that information. I appreciate you responding.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:53 PM

9,926 posts, read 23,092,785 times
You might also want to ask the school how they handle a child with an IEP for which they currently have no appropriate program/classes. Ask if they "refer out", in other words, are they willing/prepared to pay whatever it takes so the child gets the IEP appropriate education, even if it means sending them to a special school?

There are some school districts on Long Island that have been taken to Court repeatedly, because they refused to refer out, even though it was called for and NYS mandated. (It costs the SD precious $$.) The SDs lost in Court, but I would imagine that some parents don't realize that their children have a right to the appropriate education, regardless of what the SD wants or not, so they just accept the school's decision without pursuing it further.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:04 PM

13,042 posts, read 18,012,327 times
You may want to give a bit more detail as many here have experience in the various districts' programs. For example, I have a kindergarten aged child with ADD or a 3rd grader that is autistic and name the district.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:28 PM

In the huge district of Sachem, I've been told that there is only one Special Ed class for each grade level. My son has been bounced from school to school in the last three years of moving here. Not happy!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:13 PM

156 posts, read 448,271 times
Wouldn't the SEPTA be able to answer that for you?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:54 AM

13,042 posts, read 18,012,327 times
If you can afford it, I would spend the consultation fee now with the ideas that he/she might be able to guide you to what your expectations should be as opposed to what you may think for you kids. We have a dear friend with 2 autistic kids on opposite ends of the spectrum, and without the guidance all along the way of an good attorney, I remain convinced that they would have fallen into an abyss. Incidentally, these area good parents who fought all the time for the rights of their kids too and finally had to sue the school district to get the services they were due.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:36 AM

I'm not looking to sue anybody. I'm trying to understand how a district this big only has one Special Ed class for each grade level. Once a child is situated in a classroom setting, and is thriving, why in the world would you want to shuffle them out and into another school. I have been told by the "top" that "although the district is a big one, unfortunately, we cannot accommodate every student's needs, at every level, in every school". So that being said, you will not know which school your child will be placed in until the placements are made over the summer for the following school year. My husband and I have been told at meetings what recommendations will be made and are always told "but we are not sure which school he will be attending next year".

Old 11-07-2014, 12:20 PM

9,926 posts, read 23,092,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherBear4 View Post
I'm not looking to sue anybody. I'm trying to understand how a district this big only has one Special Ed class for each grade level. Once a child is situated in a classroom setting, and is thriving, why in the world would you want to shuffle them out and into another school. I have been told by the "top" that "although the district is a big one, unfortunately, we cannot accommodate every student's needs, at every level, in every school". So that being said, you will not know which school your child will be placed in until the placements are made over the summer for the following school year. My husband and I have been told at meetings what recommendations will be made and are always told "but we are not sure which school he will be attending next year".
It's all about the $$$
Have heard horror stories about Sachem (no personal experience though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: