Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Then we must be triplets!

My father was very patient with me as I picked out our tree every year. From North Shore to South Shore, from Nassau to Suffolk..........he's keep driving until I found the perfect tree. It had to be balsam, it had to be wide... the wider the better, no plantation sheared for me.

Once I started driving, I literally headed for the hills. Winklestern's (I think that was the name) Christmas Tree Farm upstate and I'd cut down the perfect tree.

I just about died my first Christmas in southern California. NO BALSAM! Douglas fir or Noble fir those were the fir choices. ARGH!!!

I can't get as wide of a tree as I like anymore Despite the living room being fairly large, there are built-in's, fireplace and baseboard rads which limit me to one section of interior wall.

But I endeavor to find the perfect tree to fill the spot.
When I look back at the pictures of the trees I had as a kid, again the balsam fir, some of them were down right ugly compared to the trees you get today. In the past 20 years or so, unless you do a u cut the trees are more pyramidal in shape. The u cut farm owner, in I think it was Cutchogue, told me that they too are grooming their trees as they grow, that was what the people wanted. My sister and I laugh looking at the trees with branches shooting out from here and there from top to bottom. We loved those huge trees, so full, and decorated so lovingly. Great memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:31 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
They are "Holiday" lights. You are not allowed to call them "Christmas" lights anymore.
Don't worry I wont call the PC Police on anybody this time, just don't let it happen again.

I am Scrooge. I hold off as long as possible for any "holiday" decorating, and can't get the stuff down, boxed, and back in the closet fast enough. You have no idea the daunting task of constantly following behind to shut the lights off. Everyone gets angry but they aren't paying the damn electric bill!
Electricity doesn't grow on trees.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:55 AM

626 posts, read 903,182 times
Up on black friday (as long as the weather is good); down on three kings day (why? I have no idea)

Old 11-07-2014, 12:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBerry Messenger View Post
Santa doesn't put presents under fake trees.
We sure did enjoy all of our fake presents all those years!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:35 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
We sure did enjoy all of our fake presents all those years!

Ha ha, us too!

Old 11-08-2014, 04:43 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBerry Messenger View Post
Santa doesn't put presents under fake trees.
Thanks for that, BTW a large shipment of coal is coming your way, I hope your stocking is big enough

Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
First weekend of December it goes up, first weekend in January it comes down.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Up: Day after Thanksgiving.
Down: New Years Day
Fake tree.
Nothing exterior except a wreath.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:20 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Nothing outside.
When do you put your tree up? Second weekend of December
When do you take your tree down? Super Bowl Sunday.
Fake tree, of course.

It's gotten later and later as the Super Bowl has moved from Jan to Feb. Husband doesn't want to take tree down sooner. We now have to dust the ornaments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island