U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM

999 posts, read 1,195,282 times
Ohbeehave I honestly believe we have a dictatorship...

What do you do when everything you presented is right and they ignore you, they ignore fact, break rules , don't follow procedure..

I gave them what i still believe to be the best idea for affordable housing and for the FD's, and do it without it being a long island based brooklyn project complex..

As you might have remembered the county has property in Yaphank (read as county residents property) We had a great idea where we had an outside company no expense to the county willing to rent the property for a long lease or buy, and use it for entertainment.. A coliseum, motorsports, museum, atv area, other family entertainment areas like little ride section and go karts etc..

Then use the FD drag strips as areas to put affordable housing on.

Now you have affordable housing spread out in little sections thru out the county, and the FD gets free use of a state of the art facility and can charge money and hold 50 times the audience they never could for there competitive FD drags, and use that money to fund more affordable housing amongst toward the school districts...

Nope, they instead want to stuff 1000 houses on contaminated property (i have all these facts and proof), stuff them between brookhaven dump, gruccis fireworks, long island compost, fire training facility, the jail, police arms training area and a few other not so wonderful things to raise a family...

Then what do they do...(i would have fired this person if this was his title and i was running the county)

Well Then they made the mental patient that was in charge of affordable housing planning the chief county ex, what a great promotion for a poor affordable planning idea in a district that is already at max actually past max ability to handle any more kids in the school in a district seeing anywhere from 8k to 15k a year in property taxes.

Frustrating, i often wonder if this is my hell? is this what hell is? Go thru all the work and show the facts and proof of how it can and should be and then not even a discussion, not a word just a poor plan to stick people in a area surrounded unwanting things to raise a family..
This is not the govt i want doing any thinking for me...
Levy appointed this man to the chief ex position...im ahead of levy's talk about it bs and get nothing done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 05:22 PM

99 posts, read 486,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaoin View Post
<i> And they also can give you approval that does not need to be approved every year. And point was about fire, not the many other problems that may arise. A basement can be approved, and fires can start for many reasons, while tenants, or even family are down there.
</i> In Huntington, you do indeed require an annual inspection of accessory apartments--the inspector comes by and goes through every single room of the house, not just the apartment, checks smoke detectors, looks for problems, makes sure you have a carbon monoxide detector, a slab of metal on the inside of the utility room door, etc.,etc.,etc. It used to be every two years. They're also requiring people to certify that no one in the house, either the owner's portion or the tenant, is a sex offender.
Thank you...I know the law very well so i guess this thread became a "i have the abilty to type so that means i know something"....

Old 01-10-2008, 05:37 PM

40 posts, read 108,524 times
What? I'm sorry, I was commenting on the statement that annual approval wasn't needed. And I was talking specifically about Huntington. Did I miss something?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM

A permit is a temporary exemption for that specific law. It is not a guaranteed right & is renewable upon experation, they will give you i think 2-3 years max then you have to get inspected and renewed agian.Three month proir you must reapply for the permit or they will come down hard on you. I dont want you thinking they will only check the apartment either---they ck the landlords house too,the deck that might be illegal ,the shed that you may have not told them about,the pool,the fence for the pool,the attic,EVERYTHING-EVERYTIME!!!!! trust me...it aint easy

Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 PM

4,306 posts, read 3,980,013 times
Would switching to a NYC type plan: lower property taxes with an income tax to capture the illegal renters and very rich be an improvement over the current system? Divide the money by the number of students enrolled into schools and give each district their share.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Would switching to a NYC type plan: lower property taxes with an income tax to capture the illegal renters and very rich be an improvement over the current system? Divide the money by the number of students enrolled into schools and give each district their share.
Ha Ha Ha ....if that would pass election i'd jump off the robert moses bridge!

(cause the water aint too deep)

Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 PM

13,763 posts, read 15,800,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Ohbeehave I honestly believe we have a dictatorship...

What do you do when everything you presented is right and they ignore you, they ignore fact, break rules , don't follow procedure..

I gave them what i still believe to be the best idea for affordable housing and for the FD's, and do it without it being a long island based brooklyn project complex..

As you might have remembered the county has property in Yaphank (read as county residents property) We had a great idea where we had an outside company no expense to the county willing to rent the property for a long lease or buy, and use it for entertainment.. A coliseum, motorsports, museum, atv area, other family entertainment areas like little ride section and go karts etc..

Then use the FD drag strips as areas to put affordable housing on.

Now you have affordable housing spread out in little sections thru out the county, and the FD gets free use of a state of the art facility and can charge money and hold 50 times the audience they never could for there competitive FD drags, and use that money to fund more affordable housing amongst toward the school districts...

Nope, they instead want to stuff 1000 houses on contaminated property (i have all these facts and proof), stuff them between brookhaven dump, gruccis fireworks, long island compost, fire training facility, the jail, police arms training area and a few other not so wonderful things to raise a family...

Then what do they do...(i would have fired this person if this was his title and i was running the county)

Well Then they made the mental patient that was in charge of affordable housing planning the chief county ex, what a great promotion for a poor affordable planning idea in a district that is already at max actually past max ability to handle any more kids in the school in a district seeing anywhere from 8k to 15k a year in property taxes.

Frustrating, i often wonder if this is my hell? is this what hell is? Go thru all the work and show the facts and proof of how it can and should be and then not even a discussion, not a word just a poor plan to stick people in a area surrounded unwanting things to raise a family..
This is not the govt i want doing any thinking for me...
Levy appointed this man to the chief ex position...im ahead of levy's talk about it bs and get nothing done
A lot of small men with big egos (and women, too, not leaving any guilty parties out) whose sole purpose is to bank as much as they can milk from the taxpayers before leaving office and LI -- that's who is running the show. It's definitely despotic rule. The quote, "All power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" should be on Suffolk County's Crest.

The county land that was proposed for affordable housing: ugh! Just because a person doesn't have a ton of cash doesn't mean that they should be situated on land which could very well be contaminated. Of course, any potential problems (sick children, cancer clusters, etc.) won't surface until the elected officials and their appointed cronies and sycophants are long gone. The people of Suffolk will be left holding the bag when the lawsuits roll in.

Your idea appearedwell thought out, good and sound. I am sorry that it wasn't given the respect and consideration it deserved. That area would have been an ideal location for an entertainment venture such as you described and ideally situated close to the LIE.

I recall reading something that a homeowner in the area/school district had written concerning the already over crowded schools and the tax implications. That set me off on a search where I had found a NYS application for a 5 year reduction in property taxes if a person was a first time homebuyer of new construction. The numbers varied by county and stuck with me: a small family with a max income of $73K purchasing a new house at or less than $200K would see a 50% reduction in their first year, deduction decreasing each subsequent year until it was 10% in the last year. In that homeowner's community, this would have wreaked havoc on the already heavily taxed neighbors.

That is what set me on the road to trying to establish affordable housing in areas which already have mothballed or vacant structures within a reasonable proximity to public transport and shopping. (Trying to keep it green, too.) With adaptive reuse, eyesores can become habitable, attractive, multi-family dwellings. The Colt Firearms Factory in Hartford (as well as a number of other buildings there, The Colt being most visible from I-91) is currently undergoing adaptive reuse and it has been a slow, but fascinating process to watch. Once done, it will be wonderful to see the old building still standing, and no longer laying vulnerable to the elements and squatters.

----------------------------------
An excerpt from an interesting article about it (link Northeast Real Estate Business ):

"Fortunately, the developments underway and proposed have been designed with the existing complexes in mind. When completed, a diverse selection of for sale and for rent housing will be available. For example, prospective renters will be able to choose from spacious, loft-style units at Colt Gateway that will cater to a more casual and artistic clientele, or choose the more luxurious units planned at Hartford 21 that will consist of well-appointed apartments in a modern, 36-story high-rise adjacent to the Civic Center Coliseum. As a result of the diverse nature of development, a diverse cross-section of tenants and unit owners ranging from recent college graduates to empty nesters have already expressed interest in living in downtown Hartford.
Downtown rents range from about $700 to $1,200 for one-bedroom units and $900 to $2,000 for two-bedroom units. Rates per square foot range from approximately $1.25 to $2.25 per month."
----------------------------------------------

Which leads me to my next question: Has anyone, other than self-serving pols and greedy contractors, actually looked into the feasibilty of reusing the Kings Park buildings for condos, co-ops and mixed use like offices and doctors practices? What a great spot for that! There was once a proposal about housing on the property and the buildings being torn down but that was shot down. Leave the buildings, gut the ones that can be saved -- they are newer than the Colt Factory and many other New England buildings currently being reused -- and I would bet the NE buildings have just as many health hazards (i.e. asbestos) as Kings Park has.

But then again, this is something being done successfully somewhere else. It makes too much sense. Your idea made to much sense. The inmates are running the asylum. No wonder they won't touch Kings Park.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM

4,306 posts, read 3,980,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave View Post
Ha Ha Ha ....if that would pass election i'd jump off the robert moses bridge!

(cause the water aint too deep)
Who do you think would be opposed to it and why? Curious to hear people's thoughts on it. I think people want to keep individual school districts for local control and to maintain unofficial segregation but might bend on the income tax if serious money can be saved.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM

5,218 posts, read 2,151,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Who do you think would be opposed to it and why? Curious to hear people's thoughts on it. I think people want to keep individual school districts for local control and to maintain unofficial segregation but might bend on the income tax if serious money can be saved.
Unfortunately people on LI have becmoe snotty about their school districts.. snotty because that's the only word I can find for it that makes sense. See.. like people in Roslyn.. they thing their school district is so wonderful that they would feel that if we switched to a NYC school system that the quality of education will be lost.
I do know that when I was 6 I moved into my house on LI that I grew up in with my parents. I was in teh first grade. It was the North Babylon SD. I had to be put in the slow class because NYC schools were behind in curriculum (although I quickly caught up).
But..I don't think quality would be sacraficed at all... and I don't think we'd need to worry about hat.. but I believe OTHERS irrationally fear that and so they won't let it happen. Again they all like to complain but don't want the change.. makes me scratch my head and say what the heck is wrong with you people!! LOL (not YOU.. specifically.. the people i"m referring to that would fear this.. )

Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 PM

975 posts, read 1,100,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave View Post
Thank you...I know the law very well so i guess this thread became a "i have the abilty to type so that means i know something"....

I got something wrong. I was going by how it worked when I did it in another county upstate. I admit it. No one has still to address the major concerns I put forth in my post, and are just stuck on the one issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island