Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:45 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,983,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
I'm not familiar with bravo, but according to JohnInWestbury, it's not suitable for real grocery shopping- and those other places sound like one had better have deep pockets. Where would ya get a roll of terlit paper? 7-11?
Can you explain what you mean by "real grocery shopping"?

I shop at Bravo on occasion so I'm talking from first hand experience. It's super convenient for when I need to grab something real quick. I like to ride my bicycle there.

I don't know what JohnInWestbury had to say about the Bravo in Patchogue, but given his username I suspect he's never been there. If he has, I would like to know how it wouldn't be suitable for someone living in the area without a car.

Granted, the options are much greater at places like Shop Rite or Best Yet so those are my go to place, especially since I have a car. But Bravo would serve me just fine if I didn't have a convenient mean of getting to the major grocers. All staple items can be had at Bravo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM

149 posts, read 524,319 times
I'm one of the 'PubTranspo' folks in LI. It's difficult getting around and like others said, it depends where. I'm in Mineola so I fare better than many. Nassau Co (mainly south shore) seems to have the better pick as far as bus travel is concerned.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM

260 posts, read 674,089 times
If you are moving to this area for the first time, there are so many things you'll want to see and do, so a car will be needed. I wish you both the best of luck in your new area and jobs.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:20 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,709,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering if this is at all possible. I work in downtown Manhattan and my girlfriend in Brooklyn and we both use public transportation to commute. Is there an area in Long Island we can look into to rent an apartment or a house or is there no way we can do it without having a car?

Another thing... the commute for both of you will be crazy. You'll be on the LIRR for an hour or so. Then you have to take the subway to downtown Manhattan. Your girlfriend will probably have to take the LIRR to Atlantic Terminal and a subway or bus from there. Let's not forget the LIRR is about $325/month plus your $112 Metro Card. (that will be in addition to car payments, car insurance, etc)

Do you really want to go through this every day? Take my word for it, Long Island SUCKS ---- you and your girlfriend will be bored beyond words within 6 months. And don't listen to the people who say how wonderful LI is because of "the beaches". The beaches out here are filthy (other than Fire Island -- and you have to pay a ferry fare to get over there! (thank goodness, it keeps the riff raff out!) and, honestly, if you're a working person, how often are you going to "the beach"????? If you're lucky, once a summer?

There is nothing to do out here and when you move out here after living in NYC your entire life, you'll feel like you've moved to another planet.

You would be 100% better off staying put in NYC.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM

852 posts, read 965,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "real grocery shopping"?

I shop at Bravo on occasion so I'm talking from first hand experience. It's super convenient for when I need to grab something real quick. I like to ride my bicycle there.

I don't know what JohnInWestbury had to say about the Bravo in Patchogue, but given his username I suspect he's never been there. If he has, I would like to know how it wouldn't be suitable for someone living in the area without a car.

Granted, the options are much greater at places like Shop Rite or Best Yet so those are my go to place, especially since I have a car. But Bravo would serve me just fine if I didn't have a convenient mean of getting to the major grocers. All staple items can be had at Bravo.
+1 for riding the bike!

I've never even seen a Bravo- but from what you're saying, it makes Shop-rite seem like a wonderland by comparison (And I hate the modern Shop-Rites! -Although I did love the old ones- in the 80's- Funny, I was just reminiscing with my 89 year-old mother a few hours ago, about shopping in the old Bohemia Shop-Rite...used to love that store!)

Patchogue is definitely more walkable than just about any other town in Suffolk, though....

Old 11-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I could see how all of the money and successful people might be a problem for you.
Sorry, bro- but if I were worth $40Million and lived in Nassau [or even had to set foot in Nassau], I wouldn't consider myself a success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what a ridiculous statement that shows a complete lack of familiarity with both areas, both the good parts and bad.
Well let's see:

Rockaways:
Housing projects: Check.
Boardwalk: Check
Crowded beaches: Check
Rich old Jewish ladies: Not so much anymore
Ghetto-dwellers, gang-bangers and criminals: Check
PITA to get anywhere from: Check
Lots of ugly apartment buildings just like the City: Check
High property taxes: Check

Long Beach:
Rich old Jewish ladies: Check
Even higher property taxes: Write the check and double check.

Hmmm...maybe you're right.....

Old 11-17-2014, 11:16 PM

11,596 posts, read 12,627,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Sorry, bro- but if I were worth $40Million and lived in Nassau [or even had to set foot in Nassau], I wouldn't consider myself a success.

Well let's see:

Rockaways:
Rich old Jewish ladies: Not so much anymore
High property taxes: Check

Long Beach:
Rich old Jewish ladies: Check
Even higher property taxes: Write the check and double check.

Hmmm...maybe you're right.....
That's Rockaway from the pre-2000s. You haven't been there recently. It's hipster restaurants and the huge Arverne By the Sea development. There's a new community center and new shopping centers. And some of the older single family homes in Bayswater, Belle Harbor, Neponsit are incredibly spacious, solidly made, and beautiful inside with old-style craftmanship. The only crowded beaches were Riis Park and 116th, after Playland was knocked down, which used to have a crrowded beach. As for transportation problems to get any where, yes that's still a nightmare.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That's Rockaway from the pre-2000s. You haven't been there recently. It's hipster restaurants and the huge Arverne By the Sea development. There's a new community center and new shopping centers. And some of the older single family homes in Bayswater, Belle Harbor, Neponsit are incredibly spacious, solidly made, and beautiful inside with old-style craftmanship. The only crowded beaches were Riis Park and 116th, after Playland was knocked down, which used to have a crrowded beach. As for transportation problems to get any where, yes that's still a nightmare.
Ah! But have the rich old Jewish ladies returned?

Old 08-10-2019, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 545 times
You don’t need a car if you live in downtown Mineola. You will be so close to grocery, drugstores, bank, post office, restaurants, doctors, and hospital. Also, very close to the LIRR with three different train lines and a 40 or less minute ride into the city.

Last edited by Beckyy15; 08-10-2019 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 01:11 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,318,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering if this is at all possible. I work in downtown Manhattan and my girlfriend in Brooklyn and we both use public transportation to commute. Is there an area in Long Island we can look into to rent an apartment or a house or is there no way we can do it without having a car?
Don’t move here without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island