Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 6,826 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the Town of North Hempstead website to get some info on tax schedules and stumbled on the section on building permits. I did not get permits for work that I currently have in progress that I clearly am supposed to have. I want to abide by the rules and I'm not sure what to do.Should I call the building dept anonymously ask? One of the improvements is a new boiler which a licensed contractor is doing. But he's not in the same town and wasn't aware of the permit requirement. The other is a repair to the basement. The basement had leak issues so i am redoing the walls myself. Not sure if that's considered a basement refinishing when it was already finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 04:26 PM

721 posts, read 1,559,452 times
You can call although I am not sure how helpful they will be. They are very strict about permits so I would implore you to do things the right way bcs say later on down the line say you need a permit for something. They will inspect and they will get you for everything that is not completed.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:31 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,409,413 times
unless you are switching from gas to oil or oil to gas it is not a big thing.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 PM

Actually I am switching from oil to gas. This was an honest mistake. I don't know if at closing there was something covering the town code or maybe this is typical? I'm a first time homeowner. I really didn't know.

There is some reconciliation period until 12/31/14 to not pay the 4x permit fees. I'm totally OK paying the fees or 4x.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 PM

161 posts, read 295,547 times
Ask your plumber/contractor. Mine handled all of the permit stuff with the town when I did my conversion last year.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM

He didn't know. He was recommended to me from a friend but doesn't normally work in this town. I don't know whether other LI towns have a similar process. My thought is that I can file for an express permit now and then continue the work. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. I recently moved to this area so I'm new to this.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,922,216 times
Be very careful with this. My former next door neighbor converted and had a year long battle because the company that did the conversion did not have the proper size vent pipe installed and they went back and forth having the company back so they could close out the permit. Town said no twice and the company insisted it was fine. Very long drawn out ordeal.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:03 PM

I do want to make sure this is done to code. So if I have to get someone to get this to comply to meet inspection, I'll have to put up with that. I just am at a loss at how to proceed. I can either have the plumber file the permit now or plead for mercy and get the inspection, make any updates and pay fines.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:27 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,922,216 times
Apply for the permit now and then wait to finish the job til you have it in hand. I was in the TNH and they can be miserable.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 PM

Thank you for the guidance I appreciate it. I will report back what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island