Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 PM

89 posts, read 132,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
Do you have some sort of issue that you can't accept that not everyone agree's with you? And yes since I'm on the government dole for 90k a year tax free all I need are side jobs. You couldn't make it as a contractor and judging by the amount of time you have to post here I'd say your not doing much drawing either. Good day to you sir!
Mr.Malakalot, you post way more than me, so your comment is actually hilarious... Don't be upset that I can write more than two sentences in under 3 minutes.

In fact, the only reason why I continue with this conversation and write so dam much is because of your inability to understand basic concepts. I don't mind if people don't agree with my opinion but when they argue facts, that just shows stupidity.

You have no idea about the real cost of a legit business. All you know is how to makes a few bucks as a weekend warrior.

I do just fine financially, I don't need to brag about my pay on an anonymous forum bud!

As you would say, good day to you sir!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshlee View Post
I think the confusion is really about what is included and not included. If all plumbing and electric is left as is (no sub-contracted electrician and plumber needed.), then this is more a bathroom update.

My mother-in-law did an update to a small full bathroom for $4k with all tiles, tub, vanity provided (this was part of a larger cosmetic update to the house (doors/paint/fixtures/vanity/etc...) so maybe the cost was a little lower than average, but no outside plumbers/electrician were used.) I mean... this was in no way a gut renovation where new electrical and plumbing were replaced by licensed electrician/plumber. It was two guys demo, sheetrock/green boarding, laying cement board, taping/spakling, install toilet/vanity/tub, tiling floor/wall, replacing light switch/vent/light fixture, and installing a new door with trim. Took about 3 days.

In contrast, the bathrooms I've dealt with included total gut renovations with everything getting relocated with permits with the town. I am sorry, but no bathroom can be done for $5k done that way. Contractor/Plumber/Electrician have to all be insured and bonded, and you have to get a drafter to submit designs. Minus the contractor, we are looking at least the added cost of the electrician/plumber/drafter/permits. That's $k or $2k extra.

I guess the grey area is when you don't go through the permit process and try to do a more "to code" bathroom.

Well said.

I think the biggest point is that a company has overhead and a person doing it for a side job doesn't so they are cheaper.

With that being said, just because the company is charging more than the freelance handyman does not mean they are a rip off, it just means they are legitimate.

That is all I was trying to portray...

Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Bathroom Removal and disposal of the following:
• Pre-existing vanity sink
• Pre-existing toilet
• Pre -existing wall tiles
• Pre-existing shower
• Pre-existing floor tiles
• Pre-existing medicine cabinet
• Pre-existing light, heat, door.
• Removed wet insulation and sheetrock
• Remove Damaged Electrical and Heating

Installation/Repair of the following:
• New vanity sink and mirror (Owner to buy)
• New wall tiles (Owner to buy)
• New floor tiles (Owner to buy)
• New shower base (Owner to buy)
• New toilet (Owner to buy)
• New door (Owner to buy)
• New ceiling light (recess light)
• New ceiling light switch
• New vent
• Resheetrock room
• Repair Damaged, wood electric, door frame, electric

• New heat

This is my remodel of my bathroom after sandy. regular sized bathroom with a toliet, sink and shower stall.

Cost 6k for contractor and I bought the material listed above.
Thank you for this post. So how much were the owner supplied items? How much was the total cost?

Old 12-16-2014, 04:57 AM

201 posts, read 332,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandesign View Post
Mr.Malakalot, you post way more than me, so your comment is actually hilarious... Don't be upset that I can write more than two sentences in under 3 minutes.

In fact, the only reason why I continue with this conversation and write so dam much is because of your inability to understand basic concepts. I don't mind if people don't agree with my opinion but when they argue facts, that just shows stupidity.

You have no idea about the real cost of a legit business. All you know is how to makes a few bucks as a weekend warrior.

I do just fine financially, I don't need to brag about my pay on an anonymous forum bud!

As you would say, good day to you sir!
OK your right and I'm talking out my azz. Are you happy now? Can you restrain your self from replying to this post? are you a nut or what? I'm sure you have plenty of happy happy customers.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,444,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandesign View Post
Thank you for this post. So how much were the owner supplied items? How much was the total cost?
Not much. I bought vanity, faucet sink and mirror at IKEA a few hundred

The showerhead and stuff made a mistake and went to poreclina in Westbury and cost like $450

Toliet home dept like $400

For tiles, shower base and shower door contractor took me down to Flushing there is a whole huge Asian contractor only section. He gave me contractor price, he paid and I gave him a check so no sales tax. That was a mistake a bit as instead of base tiles at Home Depot or Lowes my wife bought tiles that were expensive and even with the big discount cost a lot. All in tile were like 1,500 only cause we tiled to ceiling and used high end floor tiles.

In end like 7.5k because my contractor would have done whole thing for 6k including materials if I used the most basic crap possible. So he gave me a partial credit towards tiles, vanity, mirror etc.

My contractor is a real contractor but is mainly commercial, home flippers, landlords. He does folks like me on referral but homeowners are a headache and does not like wasting time with quotes of folks who dont buy.

If you are doing a bathroom I highly recommend visiting Flushing AFTER you priced out everything to look at tiles and granite etc. Excelent prices. But CASH NO RETURNS NO DELIVERY at most places. Like a mexican flea market in Cancun.

New vanity sink and mirror (Owner to buy)

Old 12-16-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Not much. I bought vanity, faucet sink and mirror at IKEA a few hundred

The showerhead and stuff made a mistake and went to poreclina in Westbury and cost like $450

Toliet home dept like $400

For tiles, shower base and shower door contractor took me down to Flushing there is a whole huge Asian contractor only section. He gave me contractor price, he paid and I gave him a check so no sales tax. That was a mistake a bit as instead of base tiles at Home Depot or Lowes my wife bought tiles that were expensive and even with the big discount cost a lot. All in tile were like 1,500 only cause we tiled to ceiling and used high end floor tiles.

In end like 7.5k because my contractor would have done whole thing for 6k including materials if I used the most basic crap possible. So he gave me a partial credit towards tiles, vanity, mirror etc.

My contractor is a real contractor but is mainly commercial, home flippers, landlords. He does folks like me on referral but homeowners are a headache and does not like wasting time with quotes of folks who dont buy.

If you are doing a bathroom I highly recommend visiting Flushing AFTER you priced out everything to look at tiles and granite etc. Excelent prices. But CASH NO RETURNS NO DELIVERY at most places. Like a mexican flea market in Cancun.

New vanity sink and mirror (Owner to buy)

Very interesting. Thank you. Even more interesting was the below quote:

"Does not like wasting time with quotes of folks who don't buy"

Old 12-16-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
OK your right and I'm talking out my azz. Are you happy now? Can you restrain your self from replying to this post? are you a nut or what? I'm sure you have plenty of happy happy customers.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
We toured Tile World and the entire College Point area too but ended up going to HD/Lowes for tile/mosaics/pencils. (http://www.city-data.com/forum/37327593-post8.html - can you tell?) We had no issues returning the extras which was great. There's also Swan Tile in Westbury which is the same owners as the one in Flushing.

I'd say check HD/Lowes first to see if anything catches your eye, then try Flushing because it will still be more expensive. HD/Lowes has from $1-$5/sq ft too.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:11 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,539 times
There is definitely a different market out there for prospective bathroom remodels. I guess most young couples don't mind a "home depot special" but, there are still a significant amount that like to create a unique look.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
There is definitely a different market out there for prospective bathroom remodels. I guess most young couples don't mind a "home depot special" but, there are still a significant amount that like to create a unique look.
Sounds like we have similar clientele.. Thanks for all of your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island